The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not sure of our current brand of kettle, but it is clear glass and the base shines a wonderful blue light when it is switched on. Tis a joy to behold, and I hope it lasts us aaaaaaaages.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

mcculloch - it sounds like we use our kettles in a similar fashion. And for all the faults with the A$da cheapy £12.50/£9 on offer ones, I must say that pouring is certainly not one of them, as I too can pour a full kettle into a saucepan for pasta/stock/soup etc and know that it will pour in, just as easily as pouring a full/half full or minimum fill kettle of water straight into a tea cup - it's pretty accurate. The thing I dislike about modern kettles - this one isn't too bad, is that they boil so ferociously - I hate that they 'jump' about as the water sloshes inside. I used to be nervous about it before, but it certainly concerns me with a mobile small in the house. I am apt to knock the kettle switch off at the point where the water is plenty hot enough for anything we need - including tea making.

redo - I agree, that kettle sounds dangerous. And can see that I would think the same, as I had spent a serious (to me) amount of cash, but I would also consider cutting my losses for the sake of safety........... :( And thank you for sniggering at the beetroot matter - I sniggered too, but then I didn't have to explain to a bemused nurse...........

We attended the appt. I think that BG managed to divert people's attention from the various prods and pokes that they had coming in their direction, and most people responded really positively to a little personage engaging with them. We did give BG a bath on returning home though, and various toys will have to have a good scrub, as they seemed to touch every surface, as did BG..... hope we don't pick up anything nasty............................ And I hope that we didn't pass anything on to anyone else, although I'm reasonably sure that we're well past the contagious stage, and just at the 'I wish this blessed cold would b00ger orf' stage...... Pretty sure BG feels the same ;)

Tea has been munched :D Oh, it was the right thing to make - we've not had anything like that in such a long time, it was a really nice change. Proper comfort food I suppose, but nice once in a while. I served the last of the sprouts, shredded and the last of the (frozen) green beans (from mrAl - definitely sold on them, and will buy them again). As I had the oven on, I whipped up a quick apple crumble. And I'll make some custard for DH as he's been such a brave soldier today.......... :rotfl:

Apart from the hospital parking fee :eek: We've not spent any money today :T

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

pleasant, kind and knowledgeable NHS staff - admin and medical

the kindness of strangers towards BG

an 'all clear'

Ta everso for popping in, and joining in the debate. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Greying hope BG is germ free soon. I have had contact with the NHS this week and am eternally grateful .Good to hear Mr G is all clear.

I have an ASDA kettle and am more than happy with it.

Have a good nights sleep tonight , ready for your adventures tomorrow whatever they maybe .
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    I've been thinking alot about plastics recycling and have thought about ditching buying yoghurt in pots and making my own. The only problem is with that is that UHT milk is the easiest choice to make yogurt with, and very often comes in tetra-paks, which contain plastic and aren't widely recycled (I don't think). I've already considered ditching buying passata in tetra-paks, and using tinned tomatoes (recyclable packaging), or buying bottled passata when I do actually need it (again, readily recyclable). But bottled passata is dearer, so I would have to up my game with, do I actually need it? Not easy is it?

Sorry to be late to comment but was rather pre-occupied yesterday.

In my area of Suffolk up until 2 years ago tetra-paks could only be recycled at the Household Waste Recycling Centre aka tip but then our local authority announced they would accept it in our recycling bins so definitely worth checking as some accepted items on the recycling list have subsequently been removed and others added.
    I was most grateful of the change as I dont drink cows milk and all the milks I do drink come in tetra-paks so I used to throw quite a bit away.

Glad you and BG are feeling much better - DH and I have whooping cough:eek: and this cough is seriously annoying me, we've not had it 100 days yet so it will be while before it goes.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I agree beanie - brand nor cost seems to have any bearing on whether a kettle pours or not. Which kinda defeats the object to me. I often wonder if designers of 'things' ever actually use them.

They don't design things to be used. They design them to sell. If you want them to work, don't rely on the designer - caveat emptor.
    And as for all clothes - baby or adult - being designed by 6ft tall, long-armed, pencil thin hipsters.........;)

IIRC, the last time people in this country were measured to see what proportions they were, it was the 1950s and the world was a different place.

OTOH, most things come from china now, and chinese people (especially if born during Mao's Great Leap Forward) will have about as much meat on them as a supermarket pasty.
    My dh sounds almost as dangerous as your kettle, redo! He doesn't even notice that he's poured water everywhere...

Unless you have bare electrical cables everywhere, why would he? :p
    mcculloch - it sounds like we use our kettles in a similar fashion. And for all the faults with the A$da cheapy £12.50/£9 on offer ones,

Wow, you buy expensive cheapy kettles... :rotfl:
    I must say that pouring is certainly not one of them, as I too can pour a full kettle into a saucepan for pasta/stock/soup etc and know that it will pour in, just as easily as pouring a full/half full or minimum fill kettle of water straight into a tea cup - it's pretty accurate.

My cheapy, cheapy kettle is also a decent pourer, but its filling is a bit sub-standard.
    The thing I dislike about modern kettles - this one isn't too bad, is that they boil so ferociously - I hate that they 'jump' about as the water sloshes inside. I used to be nervous about it before, but it certainly concerns me with a mobile small in the house. I am apt to knock the kettle switch off at the point where the water is plenty hot enough for anything we need - including tea making.

Put something inside which will act as a locus for bubble formation - chemists call them Boiling Stones Just about anything inert will do, so long as it has a few raggedy edges.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Ay up E_E - I knew I'd read someone had adult whooping cough on the boards - one of my late night/early morning stints a few weeks ago. It's you! Oh, poor thing. Having had all the vaccines in pregnancy and then for BG I realise that it is a big deal to have it, if the NHS goes to such pains to help you avoid it/ameliorate it.

And it reinforces my point about the fact that I've only had a 'bad' cold. I've not had 'flu, or whooping cough, and I've felt rough and tired, so tired, so realise how debilitating these conditions are. And of course, with BG we're on tenderhooks, listening for a 'whoop' in a cough, or a stridor.

Yes, we can take our tetra paks to the recycling centre (tip ;)), but I'm sort of a bit dubious about whether tp's are actually recycled - because of the mixed fibre construction. If they are, bravo, but I'm not sure about where the..... 'machine' is that does the recycling, whether we have one here. Or whether they just become 'sorted' rubbish.....I wish I didn't have to use them in the first place. Although thinking about it, the only other type of container I have seen UHT milk in, is...... a plastic bottle.......

Thanks for popping in, I realise that you've many things to look after at the moment.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Put something inside which will act as a locus for bubble formation - chemists call them Boiling Stones Just about anything inert will do, so long as it has a few raggedy edges.

Wow, I learn new things every day. Ta.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Ay up E_E - I knew I'd read someone had adult whooping cough on the boards - one of my late night/early morning stints a few weeks ago. It's you! Oh, poor thing. Having had all the vaccines in pregnancy and then for BG I realise that it is a big deal to have it, if the NHS goes to such pains to help you avoid it/ameliorate it.

And it reinforces my point about the fact that I've only had a 'bad' cold. I've not had 'flu, or whooping cough, and I've felt rough and tired, so tired, so realise how debilitating these conditions are. And of course, with BG we're on tenderhooks, listening for a 'whoop' in a cough, or a stridor.

Yes, we can take our tetra paks to the recycling centre (tip ;)), but I'm sort of a bit dubious about whether tp's are actually recycled - because of the mixed fibre construction. If they are, bravo, but I'm not sure about where the..... 'machine' is that does the recycling, whether we have one here. Or whether they just become 'sorted' rubbish.....I wish I didn't have to use them in the first place. Although thinking about it, the only other type of container I have seen UHT milk in, is...... a plastic bottle.......

Thanks for popping in, I realise that you've many things to look after at the moment.

Greying X

The first thing everyone has said to me and DH is 'weren't you vaccinated as children?'. The answer was 'yes but the vaccine wears off and you are at risk again'.
    I think nowadays with less children being vaccinated and also people coming from other countries who don't vaccinate against whooping cough it is becoming more common in the UK again.

I believe we will have an immunity for a while now but I need to do some research and I think DH and I will pay privately and have a vaccination sooner rather than later as he works in a medium risk environment (independent school with pupils from abroad although ironically the little boy he caught it from is from the UK and appears not to have been vaccinated) and I don't want us to catch it again.

Just found the tetra-pak website, https://www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk/index.asp has some interesting info and I just checked the recycling map and it confirms that in my area you can recycle at home so is clearly up to date.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:
    The first thing everyone has said to me and DH is 'weren't you vaccinated as children?'. The answer was 'yes but the vaccine wears off and you are at risk again'.

E_E - I'm not sure it takes 'that long' to wear off, either. Because I remember reading, or being told, that the vaccine (specifically for BG), wasn't to protect them from ever catching WC per se, but if they did catch it, it could make it less severe, and less likely to cause complications. I'll have a read of the TP site - I'd like to think things are recycled, but I really do think that more and more stuff will be landfilled/burnt for energy, in light of increasing problems with being unable to 'kick the can down the road' - specifically to other countries.

Another good night's sleep all round :j

Today's plans........ Right, um. First thing will be to determine what to have for tea, as yet again I have not pressed/marinated the tofu, ready to do the recipe I was going to try.

Not too sure that any exercise will occur outside today, the weather looks a bit pants.

I think we're ok for *stuff*, so I don't think we need to spend anything today.

Think that's probably all the :money: stuff I've got to witter on about, so best vamoose.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure