The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...I made a crumble with the YS'd plums...

Must have been something about the cool crisp autumn air yesterday - I too made tumble crumble with they sulky fruit that was lurking in our kitchen...

A couple of apples hiding in the back of the fridge, some very ripe nectarines & plums and the last of those dreaded flat peaches that seemed like a good idea at the time... some free frozen blueberries, gifted in our weekly shop from Mr S - topped with the usual oaty crumble mix and a last minute addition of slivered almonds found in the store cupboard! No cream, custard or ice cream was to be had, but we enjoyed our 'no waste in this house' sweet! OH declared it an odd mix but inhaled it nonetheless.

Yesterday's goal was achieved (I try not to have more than one a weekend ;)) - Tidied up the 'larder' (store cupboard & freezer) and planned out how to use up the more unusual ingredients I have inherited from various benefactors - We are aiming to centre one meal a week around these ingredients and have planned out a lasagna, a few stir-fries, kedgeree, spag & balls, a tagine, singapore noodles, slow cooker stews, fish pie & PIZZA! All of these are more laborious than our typical fare, but no use having good ingredients sitting on the shelf when we could be using them up!

(...also a few sweets in the plans, but don't tell OH... pumpkin pie, krispie squares, cherry pie, cranberry cake... all very 'across the pond' and not part of his typical fare...)

So by Xmas when I plan to revisit this plan, we should both be a few pounds heavier & our bank balances too! - Just in time for January austerity & diet season!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

(Have also sorted a bag of bits to go to work with a sign that says - free to a good home - help yourself... I mean seriously who needs 3 cans of hair mousse, 8 bottles of soy sauce & 5 bottles of sesame oil?:o - even if they were all gifted?)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Oh, rtandon - isn't it autumnal?

I'm cutting down stores too, and getting better organised with stuff that I do need to buy in bulk - well, moving in the right direction, if not getting better :o

Well done you passing things along :D We get a little bit of garden produce passed along, but that's about it. I suspect some folks round here abouts would baulk at giving over the skin on their rice pudding. Even if they wouldn't eat it theirselves...................

Having said that, I'm behind with my cake provision for the kind and generous donations of vegetables, so I best pull my finger out.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £73.49/215
    Non-food household spend May £16.96/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Nowt for free round these parts, although we share out our spare apples with anyone who wants them. Even the horse manure people are charging this year! Bags of damsons out for sale too.

There is a huge wild damson tree by the popular dog walking area, so much fruit on its nearly touching the ground but no sign of anyone else having picked any. I collected a couple of kilos as that is as much jam/jelly as we will actually eat between that and the blackberry jelly I have already made but its sad to see so much go to waste.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Post #1465 reported as :spam:

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Nowt for free round these parts, although we share out our spare apples with anyone who wants them. Even the horse manure people are charging this year! Bags of damsons out for sale too.

I don't know why, but that made me chuckle :rotfl: redofromstart - we're very lucky if we spot freebies around here. Hence why I ensure that I use anything and everything that we are gifted - and if I can't use it, I try to pass it on, in one format or another.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Post #1465 reported as :spam:

Greying X

...except now that it's gone, your post is 1465 which confuzzled me to no end as I was trying to figure out why you were reporting yourself!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,737 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :rotfl: you lot :D

You've reminded me that I acquired some lovely cooking apples the other day - might stew them this evening with a bit of yogurt and porridge :j
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    ...except now that it's gone, your post is 1465 which confuzzled me to no end as I was trying to figure out why you were reporting yourself!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I know love. It's bad enough that that there Colonel's troops are trying to foist his fried chucken offerings onto a vegetarian thread. And now I'm left with a tin o' cold spam!

Any takers? :D

Cheery - coming round to yours for pudding :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• redofromstart
    Options
    What made me laugh was that the spam couldn't have been posted on a less suitable thread.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shucks I didn't see it!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure