The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GP - have you ever had a fried-green tomato & grilled cheese sandwhich??? - recipe here - totally YUM! - fell in love with them living for a short while in the Southern U.S. as a teen...
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

rtandon - I have not been lucky enough to try fried green tomatoes - I was in the wrong area of the States. I was lucky enough to try Wisconsin Cheese curds though....... and there was more of me as a result of my experimentations.......:rotfl: Do you think that the fried green tommies in the states are actually unripe tomatoes though? Or do they use a 'green' tomato? I'm sure (Pipsterwill help us out) there are tomatoes that remain green - am I imagining a variety called 'green zebra'?

A great start to the day - I have had a lovely email from a friend I'm already in awe of, and they just keep upping the ante! I have some great gal pals :D So blessed :D

Tea last night was HM cheese pizza with bought oven chips. I sprinkled red pepper flakes on the pizza too. Picture here;

36664674075_95d281b9fd_z.jpg

No-one can claim that this is health food, but it filled us up. There was plenty of pizza left to put in the freezer for another day. Nothing extra was bought for the pizza - the oven chips were purchased especially.

Tea tonight will be curry. I think I'll make the sri lankan runner bean curry, although I know that I'm out of coconut milk. I thought about it yesterday, forgot to check, but thought about it on my way up the high street; promptly forgetting again when I was in h0me barg1ns....... :doh:

We've chores to attend to - DH has made a good start, and is now enjoying a few precious moments with BG. We're washed, dressed and breakfasted, so not doing too bad.

Right, best shift-a-tail-feather and get on.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £73.49/215
    Non-food household spend May £16.96/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,410 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    That pizza looks just bloomin' awesome :drool: :drool:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

Well, we've been away from the Towers for a few hours. Didn't really work out too well. Don't know if I didn't plan/prepare enough, or whether DH really needs to start thinking like a Dad of a littley. Things take longer with children. fact. We went off for a visit, and saw very little of what we went to see :( And certain people suggested coming home, when we'd missed our time slot to cancel the hotel booking by 20 minutes...... not a great time was had by all :( Needless to say, it was the 'free' things that thrilled the most - space, live music to wiggle to, foals in fields and moor hen chicks. Plus people to wave to :D

Ho hum. An 'expensive' lesson to learn :( And our summer 'holiday' to boot :( Ho hum.

I've a meal-plan to do for the rest of the week. Last night was freezer contents/cereal.

I must renew a library book, or face another fine for it. Must get and copy out the one or two recipes in it that I fancy the look of. Get to it Greying!

I used up all of the runner beans in a curry on Saturday night, along with the last 2 courgettes from the gardening parental which went into the dhal. I've currently a gifted courgette to utilise and I bought some cooking apples and plums from a roadside stall whilst we were away, so they need to be used too. Gifted produce does help to eke out the grocery money. And tests my brain-cells to come up with recipes to make them appear in different guises.

Well, best get to chores.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,727 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Aw Greying, I'm so sorry your 'holiday' didn't work out as planned :( Most vexing :( You're right though, not *all* of the planning and preparation should fall to you :kisses3: Really hope you're able to get a few cheery days out in there soon xxx

We've got some gifted purple 'green' beans to use up this week - not sure what to do with them, but I do love green beans so I may just steam and eat them plain :D Also got to turn the last of our gifted plums into jam tonight - we've been very fortunate with gifted and foraged produce this week! :j
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Well, I got a few bits and pieces from Greying Town. Got what I needed only, so it was the best price/cheapest. No impulse purchases today :D

Thanks Cheery - it was a combination of things that didn't work. At least we now know we can visit that area again without an overnight stop, and can accommodate the strange 'opening' hours of the NT.

I hope your plums are sweeter than ours. They were supposed to be golden plums, but I suspect they are masquerading as greengages..... and I don't want to make jam..... mmmmm.

I have renewed my library book, so no wracking up fines. I've sorted laundry and done laundry, so we're making a little progress today!

I got the TV guide and I see some TV production company or other is looking out for 'thrifty' families. You will not be seeing the Greyings on TV anytime soon.............But maybe more confident MSE'rs will put themselves forward, so that we can have a programme about thrift that you'd want to actually watch for a change.

I think it will be soup for tea. I was going to make a plum crumble, but I think i need to do a bit more research first. Wot 2 do wif sour plums?
    :rotfl::rotfl:

Right, BG is having a snoozette, so I best go and make hay.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,727 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Add lots of sugar :D :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,410 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Someone from MSE was on TV not that long ago & has been in the i too :)
    Sorry that things did not work out as you hoped.
    Next time :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

Thanks Beanie - it's coz things didn't go according to plan, it feels like £75 wasted. If it had gone off alright, like a few weeks ago, it would have felt like £75 well spent. Can't win when you're aware of your finances :o

Tea last night was fasolada soup - greek bean soup. I use a rose elliot recipe, that I can't find on the net. But if you're interested, goggle it, and any number of recipes come up. The ingredients on the JO forum are closest to the ones I use. I always use butter beans (tinned). Plus I always tend to blitz mine - no need to, I think it was a hangover from when it was our 'goto' soup to take on adventures, and it went in the flask easier :D The flatbreads were very flat - I think my baking powder may be losing its 'pow', even though it is still in date. Picture;

35940937353_d4aa928e3a_z.jpg

I went sugar-lite with the crumble - only putting some in the topping. It was a leetle zwingy....... but just about OK - I've not asked Dh who has a sweeter tooth than me - but there was clean plate on the rack this morning, so I assume....... I purposely picked out the 'ripest' fruit, I have about the same amount left. If they ripen, I'll make another crumble, if they don't then I've fallen into the trap of making the worlds most expensive compost...... :o The crumble was served with mrl's cheap and cheerful iced-cream. Picture here;

35940951403_9b599bdb58_z.jpg

Right, mustache. DH has things to do. And I've a BG to look after :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Greying, do you never photograph recipes and then write up at your leisure?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure