🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it cheeky to ask to 'rent' my neighbour's Wi-Fi?

Options

Comments

• jonbex
    Options
    My neighbor has a phone and broadband package.i pay for the broadband and she pays the phone.it works for us:money:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jonbex wrote: »
    My neighbor has a phone and broadband package.i pay for the broadband and she pays the phone.it works for us:money:

Hmm. I have free broadband and paid for line.
  • rgwm
    rgwm Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    We have a studio apartment in Tenerife, and the number of broadband enabled lines on the complex are limited - plus we're only there for maybe two months a year.....so our neighbour there kindly allows us access to his wifi - we don't abuse it of course as we don't stream films or download huge files......

The odd bottle of wine seems to be welcome :)
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is the way forward, in my last place I got a BB deal on MSE and shared it with 4 other households, I installed a second router which was more powerful than ISP one, it used AC Wireless.

I was concerned that they may access sites that I do not want attributed to me, bomb making etc, so router had this Norton Family option that had 4 levels of blocking included.

When I left I sold the remainder of the contract to a neighbour and took another deal from MSE for new premises.

Deal was great from MSE so I did not charge for it, but I could easily have.

I think the benefit of this in areas where there is wifi congestion, if they are on channels that collide it slows all down. I have software that lists all that, but by sharing you actually make it faster.

If you agreed to share costs then you could get top end fibre for price of ADSL

May even be worth running ethernet between buildings.

If you are prepared to roll up your sleeves and get right tools you can of course hack into your neighbours wireless.

Even with WPA2 the constamt transmission means the key can be found. Not a great idea because it is computer misuse but if you are desperate.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • DavidP24
    Options
    thedon wrote: »
    You should only share internet access with someone you absolutely trust. If they are tech savvy enough they can capture and see all of your internet traffic, and also anything shared on that wifi network.

Online banking and other secure (green padlock in browser address bar) should be pretty secure, but even websites with 2 factor authentication can be "hacked" with a "man in the middle" attack by someone with access to your network and freely available tools.

Some of the older encryptions used by secure websites have now been broken and shouldn't be trusted any more (SSL and TLS 1.0)

a simple example case is someone hacks your email then starts working though your online shopping accounts to reset the passwords, collect the new password from your email account, and starts spending.

Or perhaps you keep a list of passwords in an excel spreadsheet on your nas drive etc.

The other person would have to be tech savvy and malicious to do this, but as you don't know them, do you want to take a chance?

True Dat

Truth is you can hack any wireless if you are in proximity and have right software (mostly linux based).

When I shared my wifi I used a different router, set up special SSID and gave each user a login and password.

You are right about SSL being hacked, even V3, yet banks still use it. Their solution is to give us crapware softeare we have to run rather than sort their infrastructure.

Mobile Apps are particularly weak, one bank I know has three levels of security on their web access but just one on the mobile.

Anyone using online email should assume they can be hacked, Russian hack for Olympic medical records in retaliation to them being banned for cheating shows hacking can be done ON DEMAND.

You are right about email, especially if you have a relative die and there is a will invoved or if you are selling property, Google Friday Afternoon scam, catching a lot of Lawyers.
  • Devonald
    Options
    I thought that BT residential Wi-Fi is segregated into 2 separate parts, the first is your private Wi-Fi, the second is available for the Public in your vicinity. I recently came close to using my allowance (due to windows 10 updates), so sharing was not an option. One of my neighbours requested access to another neighbours Wi-Fi. He did so reluctantly. Originally, I did not use Wi-Fi as it did not work in my abode. You would need to be aware of all the potential pitfalls of sharing Wi-Fi with neighbours.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 703 Forumite
    Options
    My new neighbour knocked on the door, introduced himself and then asked if he could have our internet password to use until his broadband was sorted. He made no offer of any kind of recompense - and we had no way of knowing what/how much he would be downloading or how much bandwidth he would consistently need. We thought it was more than a bit of a cheek. Just downright rude!

Yes, it is an in convenience, and if he has seen we have a network close to him, we understood. But as it was the first thing he ever did when he moved in, we didn't feel neighbourly towards him at all. It left a nasty taste.

So I would introduce yourself fully, invite them round for a drink and then explain your dilemma, just how much use their internet would get and your generous offer details then.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,477 Forumite
    Options
    Our neighbouring semi is being re-furbished for sale and neither the previous owner nor the neighbour to the other side has ever had an internet connection. We have an obvious Virgin box to the front and Sky dish to the back (but neither of these services), so I wonder if the people who buy next door will ask us for a piggy back.

My excuse will be that our ADSL can only just cope with the two of us using it, so cannot accommodate anyone else. (Especially as we have no idea who these people are whether they are honest )
  • DavidP24
    Options
    @teddysmum why do you need an excuse, if you are not comfortable with it, just say "I am sorry I am not comfortable with doing that"

@Devonald You are sort of right, BT do take some of your hard earned broadband and SELL it not give it for free. They allow their customers to use it and they buy that or get it included with mobile and even some broadband packages. What griprs me is that they use something that used to be FREE, it is called thr FON network and operated all over the world where people shared a portion of the BB.

If anyone wants to share someone else's BB the best way is to get hold of a cheap cable router with wireless, then you just ask if they can plug this into one of their ethernet ports. That way they have control, you have your own SSID and all is sweet.

It is largely going to depend on the area and package, if you are on a traffic management or if you have a set number of gigabytres you will not be keen, nor would it be practical if you lived in rural area with 500k BB.

I did not have BB from Feb 2015 to March 2016, I used libraries, cafe's, Tesco and iphone hotspot with 2gb capacity a momth, then in December I bought the EE Christmas SIM, for £10 I got 100gb per month for two months. I bought 2 soms and because of a mess they credited me £25 so cost me nothing for 400gb, I used every byte. I picked up a router for sim on eBay.

I probably would not ask a neighbour, if it was that important to me I would hack into their wireless.

Was in Europe once and we used a dlink access point connected to a home made dish made from a dustbin lid, we could see over 100 SSID's many of which were ftee, but I assumed they were able to see what I used (as they can).
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    I have a monthly subscription to a 3 Mobile Broad band Dongle/stick which plugs into my lap top. It took 10 mins to install after I picked it up in store. I use it during the week as Hotel Wifi is generally crap (as in you can get it in that one chair in the corner of the bar)

My brother in law and me attempted to see if we could get a wifi signal from his house to mine, which is about 150 metres as the crow flies. (I can see the front garden of the house opposite his when I look out of our loft window and between the houses that back on to ours), with a view to sharing costs.

Unfortunately that last 50 metres is where we loose the signal. Grr.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport