LED Street Lights downside.

Options
r2015
r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
edited 19 October 2016 at 12:56PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I used to have a sodium street light on the street that my back garden is against and could see to read the thermometer in my greenhouse when it is dark, also my wife could see well enough to bring in the washing without needing an exterior light.

The council has now replaced this light and all the others in the street with LED street lights and now it is so dark in my garden at night I am having to install an exterior light because of this.

So the council saves money on their electricity bill and I have to buy and fit an exterior light.:(
over 73 but not over the hill.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They're streetlights, not personal garden illuminators.

You could try solar lighting for your minimal/short-term needs of "popping outside for 5 minutes occasionally" £10-15 at the shop, plonk it where you like.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »
    I used to have a sodium street light on the street that my back garden is against and could see to read the thermometer in my greenhouse when it is dark, also my wife could see well enough to bring in the washing without needing an exterior light.

The council has now replaced this light and all the others in the street with LED street lights and now it is so dark in my garden at night I am having to install an exterior light because of this.

So the council saves money on their electricity bill and I have to buy and fit an exterior light.:(

buy a torch.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    But think of the reduction on your council tax!
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »

Make sure its solar, and frankly solar powered should be the way for council lighting too.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2016 at 2:04PM
    Options
    accident and burglary figures should be interesting. lots of dark spots to hide in now, grey low contrast gloom isn't good for road safety

savings will probably be largely wiped out with pfi and capital expenditure costs
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bsod wrote: »
    accident and burglary figures should be interesting

I agree,simply not enough drama in them just now.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The council replaced all the sodium lights round here as the LEDs are "brighter and will help maintain a safe environment". In the same leaflet they explained that the lights would be dimmed overnight so as not to disturb anyone's sleep. :-/ At least the lights are brighter during the day, I suppose...
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bsod wrote: »

savings will probably be largely wiped out with pfi and capital expenditure costs

It is not only the electricity bill. But also the longevity of LED which should cost less to maintain.

And don't forget the government sign up to those CO2 emission
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    The council replaced all the sodium lights round here as the LEDs are "brighter and will help maintain a safe environment". In the same leaflet they explained that the lights would be dimmed overnight so as not to disturb anyone's sleep. :-/ At least the lights are brighter during the day, I suppose...

Did they specify the hours during which they would be dimmed? I'd suspect approx 11pm to 5am. Before/after those times (when lighting is needed) they'd be at full brightness.

Our council has replaced most old lamps with new LED ones ... in their sphere of illumination the lighting is much brighter, but they don't spread the light as much as the old ones did.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    But think of the reduction on your council tax!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    over 73 but not over the hill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport