TSB rate dropping

Options
12345679»

Comments

• mapk
    mapk Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Afraid, the best you can find is that they don't "whip the five percent interest away after the first year". And that's only in the Marketing bumph, not in the T&Cs.

unlike.jpg

Doesn't this imply that they might possibly 'whip it away' after the second year, i.e. 24 months, not a mere 13? Perhaps they should have said at least until after the first year. A moot point anyway.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 October 2016 at 7:48AM
    Options
    Honestly that's a pretty pathetic argument considering that it wasn't even 13 months from when that statement was made to when the changes were announced... A true technicality.

I understand that they haven't breached their written terms and conditions but I would also argue that they haven't stood behind their advertising campaign. When that campaign was centred around the "tricks" that other banks pull, saying you won't drop the rate in 12 months then doing it in 13 is shameful.

Take it you don't deal with contracts in your personal or business life then.

Similarly I hope you don't vote on the basis of any political party's manifesto, as you might be similarly disappointed.

In any walk of life the statement that something will or won't be done needs to be read and interpreted on the basis that cynically the exact opposite may well occur immediately after any guaranteed period.

Take advantage of what is out there, and when it is withdrawn move on.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mapk wrote: »
    Doesn't this imply that they might possibly 'whip it away' after the second year, i.e. 24 months, not a mere 13? Perhaps they should have said at least until after the first year. A moot point anyway.
    The account had already been running for over a year when that bumph was posted, and the rate doesn't drop until 16 months after it's dated, so I can't see anything wrong with it.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Exact wording
    "Your Classic Plus terms and conditions are changing. From 4 January you’ll earn interest on balances up to £1,500. Another new condition is if you have more than one Classic Plus account in your sole name or more than one Classic Plus account in joint names, we may convert your additional account into an Enhance account or another current account from our range. We’ll give you at least two months’ notice before we do this"

So it i not known yet whether they will convert it or not ....
    They could mean that an alternative is to leave the account as it is, but with no 5% interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure