TSB rate dropping

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The currency and the economy rely on confidence as much as they do on hard facts, and think in this instance his remarks on Brexit were unhelpful.

I was not at all impressed with his pre Brexit remarks - as for "hard facts", I wonder what facts he relies on for his "forward guidance"?
  • leilalovesthis
    Options
    Does anyone else recall the TSB Classic Plus account having been advertised as 5% interest on up to £2000 for life?

I just noticed that I noted it in my spreadsheet of quick-check main T&Cs of the various accounts I hold.

Doing a search online there is a reference to it in an old Yahoo Finance article from 2014 but haven't found it mentioned anywhere else.

Need to re-read the full T&Cs of the account, but not hopeful...
  • TrustyOven
    Options
    Does anyone else recall the TSB Classic Plus account having been advertised as 5% interest on up to £2000 for life?

I just noticed that I noted it in my spreadsheet of quick-check main T&Cs of the various accounts I hold.

Doing a search online there is a reference to it in an old Yahoo Finance article from 2014 but haven't found it mentioned anywhere else.

In the 1 page T&C document I have, dated Jan 2014, it says rate is variable. No reference to "for life".
    Another T&C document I saved, 23 pages long dated March 2014, also has no reference to it.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • bumpercars99
    Options

The tv advertising campaign for these accounts definitely talked about not pulling you in with one rate then swapping it for another. I think it was written with reference to Nationwide with their 1 year deal but the message was clear that this was a permanent rate.

I'm trying to think how long it was since this campaign ended as there is definitely an argument that people who joined late would have been better off with the 1 year fix.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I remember TSB criticizes for those who is giving "a teasing rate".

http://blog.which4u.co.uk/banking-and-savings-accounts/tsbs-classic-plus-campaign-none-of-the-usual-funny-stuff

Well, the 5% did last for more than a year for those who got in at the beginning...........;)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Nope. I can't see any account offering such a term.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Afraid, the best you can find is that they don't "whip the five percent interest away after the first year". And that's only in the Marketing bumph, not in the T&Cs.

unlike.jpg
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It was running for more then a year though so this statement above is correct, and most bank account are variable interest and not fixed, so changes can and have been made on most bank accounts, and will continue to do so, as the market dictates.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Nope. I can't see any account offering such a term.
    Santander used to offer free business banking forever, which caused plenty of grief when they wanted to backtrack on that: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4074653
  • bumpercars99
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    It was running for more then a year though so this statement above is correct, and most bank account are variable interest and not fixed, so changes can and have been made on most bank accounts, and will continue to do so, as the market dictates.

Honestly that's a pretty pathetic argument considering that it wasn't even 13 months from when that statement was made to when the changes were announced... A true technicality.

I understand that they haven't breached their written terms and conditions but I would also argue that they haven't stood behind their advertising campaign. When that campaign was centred around the "tricks" that other banks pull, saying you won't drop the rate in 12 months then doing it in 13 is shameful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure