When do you turn your heating on?

Options

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our house is still measuring 22c - 24c in the evening, when it drops to <20c the boiler will be switched back on to central heating mode.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...switched mine on for the first time this morning - coldest start to the day since April!! Reading 5oC in the conservatory.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    Are people setting it to 20c to come on and off all day or letting it go cold then boosting when you are home
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 11:02AM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...switched mine on for the first time this morning - coldest start to the day since April!! Reading 5oC in the conservatory.

Our conservatory was at 15, because I had put it's convector heater to keep the temperature at 15 because some of the plants mustn't get cold (yes - we actually have plants in our conservatory :) ). The bungalow was at 16. GCH went on for a few hours. It's off now.

My husband however has had to get the dehumidifier down from the loft to get rid of the condensation on the conservatory windows - that has been on for two hours and they are now clear.

Tonight I think I will light the woodburner if it gets chilly, rather than use the GCH - it's renewable energy and keeps us off-grid in a tiny way. The temperature is not cold enough to need all the rooms heated.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I was going to say that I don't really understand this question as I have always used programmable thermostats to set a comfort temperature day and night, 7 days a week and to save money.

My latest incarnation is an Honeywell Evohome which I have owned for 3 years and allows a different temperature profile to be set for each room.

However, I do turn on the "Economy" mode in the summer and then wait for my body to notice it is a little chilly before turning it off. That was this weekend, although it did coincide with a new boiler installation last week which need exercising.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    Do you set the thermostat to come on sat 7am to 9am then 5pm to 9pm or leave it constantly on say 19C
  • carlislelass
    Options
    We get the sun in the front rooms, temp is 20 dog with the windows open. Heating goes on about 5pm for maybe 3hrs
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    JEN22 wrote: »
    Do you set the thermostat to come on sat 7am to 9am then 5pm to 9pm or leave it constantly on say 19C

I personally would do the first, especially if you are out all day.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I will put it on when I am shivering. I don't set it to come on at certain times, I use the on and off button when I need a bit of heat. I don't take any notice of temperatures, it's how I feel that counts. I worked outside for 30 odd years so I don't feel the cold too much.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I usually try to hold off putting the heating on at all until the clocks go back but I'll admit to turning it on for an hour this morning as the cold woke me up early.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure