Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't have central heating so it's off all year round
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    September was unseasonably warm anyway.

My system has no OFF. There are two temperatures, COMFORT AND ECO. It was 18 degrees throughout summer. COMFORT went up to 20 about 1st October.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a question I never really "get". Why would I have the house down to 10deg just because it is still August not November? Heating is on timer (except when there is bad snow outside) and controlled also by thermostat. I only actually turn it off when the service person is due. I must confess however to turning up the thermostat by about 1 deg per 10 years now 20deg & started at 17deg. I certainly have no intention of sitting wrapped up in blankets.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    is it set to 20 all year round
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    This is a question I never really "get". Why would I have the house down to 10deg just because it is still August not November?

I exercise the mechanical components of my system throughout the year. After months of disuse, and you fancy a bit of heat, the damned thing sticks, when all you had to do was to have it on from time to time.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a space heater of some kind for a good while before I put on the CH - just because it's a bit nippy in the sitting room of an evening doesn't mean I need to be heating the whole house yet!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JEN22 wrote: »
    is it set to 20 all year round

Yes 20 all year. It rarely comes on during May, June, July & August (and this year Sept) unless it has been VERY warm during the day & then I feel cold at night due to the drop in temp - so I turn it up. I never used to do that but the new double glazing actually attracts heat and so instead of the house staying at a steady temp (keeping it cooler in summer) it now gets very hot if I forget to close the curtains during the day - whose bright idea was that?
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have air conditioning in each room that maintains a pretty constant temperature year round. All rooms have switched themselves to heating mode over the last week. They don't know the date or the season - they just maintain a temperature (in my case 21-22C).

I've never understood "I don't turn it on until xx date" responses. It's 2016, so surely most of you should be setting it at a temperature (whatever your preferred temperature is) and it turns itself on and off as needed.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Yes 20 all year. It rarely comes on during May, June, July & August (and this year Sept) unless it has been VERY warm during the day & then I feel cold at night due to the drop in temp - so I turn it up. I never used to do that but the new double glazing actually attracts heat and so instead of the house staying at a steady temp (keeping it cooler in summer) it now gets very hot if I forget to close the curtains during the day - whose bright idea was that?

Are you saying that you have the CH on at night at over 20 degrees in the summer months or have I misunderstood?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2016 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Being N Scotland my heating is generally on all year but timed differently according to season and the radiators only come on if necessary. Over the summer period I have it turned on in the evenings but only to heat the bathroom towel rail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure