Issues at work

Options
applepicker
applepicker Posts: 151 Forumite
edited 25 October 2016 at 10:02PM in Benefits & tax credits
If I was eligible for jobseekers but not universal credit.

I will earn a few hours PAYE. Are tax credits a better option, how do you apply for these?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    What age are you both?

Does she work?

Any children?

Any disabilities?
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    I would be eligible for jobseekers but not universal credit.

My job is zero hours and becoming a joke, boss just wants me to cover here and there. I would need to sign on just to get my NI paid. If I do sign on and quit or declare what I earn, would my girlfriend who I live with know from letters or anything? She will be living with me in the flat for the next two months.

I will earn a few hours PAYE and a few gardening. Are tax credits a better option, how do you apply for these?

Unless you're entitled to contribution based jsa your claim for jsa will be a means tested joint one with your girlfriend. Contribution based jsa isn't means tested but you have to have paid national insurance via a paid job in the last 2 tax years.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It will probably contribution based. We are not married and moving out in 2 months. She isn't really living with me this is just a temporary thing. We have a child but he will be living with her.

Why does her living with me affect what you get?

If you claim JSA Conts only, her living with you won't affect what you get. However, if she is claiming any benefits, or you don't have an entitlement to Conts based JSA, you will need to be making joint claims. You can't just choose to leave your partner off your claim.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Why won't you be living together anymore? Are you separating?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Replying to your original post - would my girlfriend know ?

Honesty is fundamental in a relationship - yours seems doomed if you are not prepared to discuss such things with your girlfriend.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not look for another job instead then rather than waiting on hours here and there, On the same note if you do sign on then any hours worked will effect a claim, With this in mind the only solution is to find a better job with actual hours offered.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Replying to your original post - would my girlfriend know ?

Honesty is fundamental in a relationship - yours seems doomed if you are not prepared to discuss such things with your girlfriend.

Seems to be a recurring issue given previous posts about secret DNA tests.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems to be a recurring issue given previous posts about secret DNA tests.

Indeed! http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70764763#post70764763

The OP also posts under the Username "textbook" and the threads are peppered with further stuff on this topic, queries about whether HMRC/Benefits people check eTrade income, how to conceal a Facebook ID from other acquaintances, how to check if a Job Centre employee lives near to him, etc., etc.

His user name should be "Secret Squirrel"?:)
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    If you are in a relationship with a child and there not living together

I hope you mean you are in a relationship and have a child rather than in a relationship with a child!
  • Darksparkle
    Options

How about tax credits?

You'll need to answer the questions I asked earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure