ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    Hiddenshadow - your OPs are extraordinary and motivate me to keep going.

So much of it is about mindset shift I think. We are programmed to spend, sadly. It takes time, mindfulness and a real determination to take control of your finances to buck the spending trend.

Time matters far more to us than money. If we stick with our plans, we could be retired by 45. Huge food for thought and makes me close the browser when I am considering a mindless spend that I won't even remember in a year's time x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Hiddenshadow - your OPs are extraordinary and motivate me to keep going.

Aw, thanks :o, I'm glad our journey helps others.
    Time matters far more to us than money. If we stick with our plans, we could be retired by 45. Huge food for thought and makes me close the browser when I am considering a mindless spend that I won't even remember in a year's time x

Ooh, brain wave there. I try and use the timeframe concept when making life decisions (will this decision affect my life in 5 minutes, 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months, 5 years?), but hadn't thought of approaching spending that way as well. Food for thought...
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    :) £10 OP made
    :) some more money shuffled to the savings pot
    :) I will, will, will list one more thing on ebay tonight.

Dinner is from the freezer, and I bought DD a princess dressing up outfit from the charity shop for £1.50. Happy days :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Gosh it is dark today. Roll on Springtime - I don't mind it being chilly, but these flat grey skies are no good for the spirit.

Had an interesting moment this morning. I wrote a really long shopping list of things I thought we "needed" from the supermarket and decided to go today. Then I re-assessed the list, realised all I actually needed was milk and dog food, and picked those up from the local shop instead :T

I have posted the remaining ebay bits this morning. Plan to list 2 more items then have a break from it for a few days :rotfl:
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Just paid DS' penultimate Pre-school invoice, he gets his 15 free hours soon. That will make a huge difference to the available funds for OPing :j
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know how you feel about the free hours!

My son is 3 in May so we get the free hours from September, apparently its going up to 30 hours a week from September this year
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    I know how you feel about the free hours!

My son is 3 in May so we get the free hours from September, apparently its going up to 30 hours a week from September this year

Hi chelseablue, yes we have had it confirmed it goes up to 30 in September, I think some organisations may have to charge a nominal amount per day though as there is a gap between the funding offered by the government and the cost to Pre-schools. We were told it will be around £3 a day.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My son only goes 30 hours a week so will be interesting to see what happens.

He goes all year round and the free hours are for term time I think so will still end up paying a bit (although hopefully not the £800 a month we pay now!)
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    :j Remaining ebay items sold overnight so we are £30 better off

Most importantly.... THE SUN IS OUT!!! :j:T:)
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    We have just enjoyed a glorious walk in the sunshine. The dog absolutely loved it - her ears were flapping like a mad thing and it was funny watching her trying to chase wood pigeons :rotfl:

I have also pegged some washing out for the first time this year :j

DH got home from work early, so he has gone to collect DD from school and DS and I are relaxing. Easy dinner tonight of fajitas, washed down with some lovely Spanish rose. Heaven.

Now all of my ebay items have finished, I am going to challenge myself to list 5 more this weekend. If I can make another £30 from sales that will be £200 in one week which I would be mightily :T about.

Out for dinner tomorrow but we are being treated so it should be a NSD.

Have lovely evenings all x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure