PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Being the only 'OldStyler' in your friendship group.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Nowadays I am not even at home at Christmas as I have to 'share' myself between my two Dds houses from Christmas Eve until 2nd or 3rd of January Then I too am happy to get back home and have 'normal' food again :):):)

I know just what you mean. I am just back from a two-week trip connected with my work which was wall-to-wall 5* luxury every single day. To be honest we were jaded with it after a week and would both have rather had three or four short treats spread out over a few months. The only thing I would hate would be to have to do the three or four bits of travel - so very tiresome these days. We will now get back to our modest YS food from scratch routine and I don't want to have another meal out for at least a month!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've noticed it with my friends when we go out to dinner: we look at the menu differently. They will check each entry carefully, take ages to decide, and then look at the price to see if they are willing to pay that price. I check the lowest price, consider if the meal offered is something I would enjoy eating, maybe change once, and am done deciding. I'm happy to discuss the options, but will not deviate from my price range. So far, only one friend has noticed what I'm consistently doing :)
    (Yes, I go out to dinner; I can afford it, and enjoy it, and love seeing my friends. We regularly eat at each others' houses, but sometimes enjoy to make a day of it and go somewhere nice, never too expensive, and none of us drink, so soda all around :))
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 October 2016 at 7:22PM
    Options
    On holiday this time we have a balance between eating bits and pieces in the hotel and meals out (at 10 euros for 3 courses plus bread and a beer or glass of wine, it would be rude not to!), But I still miss not having a kitchen!

The markets here are loaded with all the most wonderful vegetables and fruit, they sell loose pulses, grains, nuts, seeds and spices, you can get great wine for a song...next year we plan to stay longer, maybe for a month, and are already making contact with local people who will ask friends and acquaintances if they have a small flat to rent us in very low season.

I would much rather eat what I cook in my own kitchen than eat out, any day! As JackieO says, eating "normally" beats festive treats after a while. The only time I would not mind eating out or having a takeaway would be if both DH and I were absolutely knackered and could not cook, but on these rare occasions we often end up with bits of cold leftovers, or cheese and salad, or a tin of tuna, or baked beans on toast!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure