When are you a grown up?

Options

Comments

• .Gigolo_Aunt
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Actually, its for any posts that break the forum rules.

Having just looked at them (it's too long a list to post here) this one seems to fit:
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. A Guardian article once "doffed its cap" to this forum as being the one place where consumers can collect together and fight back. Our job is to help keep it that way.

So if you could please stop taking the thread off topic now?
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One big lesson that my dad taught me: "Never grow up son. People expect far too much of you when they think you're grown up. Leave room in your life for a little bit of Daft." Spoken after a particularly hectic confrontation with my mother, I think.

I tried to live up to that, it's difficult sometimes. Thursday I will be going out with my 22 and 17 yo grandsons: haircuts and a meal, pub music and a bit of Karaoke, lads not cringing but joining me in the chorus. Saturday take my 11 yo granddaughter out for the day, we will do something silly (to outsiders) probably.

I'm 71. In my body. In my head I'm 18. I wear what I like (that does not make me look daft, but no guarantees) and I do what makes my family and myself happy and I have an ambition to live forever.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    Options
    You're a grown up when a night of drinking takes a week to recover from.

Now when I'm invited to anything that involves a few drinks I have to calculate if the days spent dying will be worth it
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't disagree, but its actually a word with a real definition, that you fit perfectly. You post to deliberately provoke and antagonise and then watch the reactions for entertainment, not to debate or offer advice in good faith

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/jun/12/what-is-an-internet-troll

If you want "A grade" trolling, there are better threads running currently.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want "A grade" trolling, there are better threads running currently.

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't mean this poster isn't a skilled troll. Look at the comment on Jimmy Saville in DT that just elicited exactly the desired response from yourself!
  • j-josie
    j-josie Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    I became a grown up in the week my dad was dying. His cancer diagnosis came out of the blue and he died within 10 days of diagnosis. I was 30, married with 2 kids, mortgage et al, but nothing compared to the depth of the experience of that last week with dad.

I had had to fly to another country to be with him. When I returned to work, I really felt as though no one should recognise me; I felt such a completely different person to the one who had left.

So that was when I grew up....however 20 years later, our adult children do frequently tell us off for silly behaviour ( being chased round the garden by dh with hose was a fun example to the newlyweds next door as to how 30 years of marriage doesn't need to be all cocoa & slippers!)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So if you could please stop taking the thread off topic now?

Trolls often expose themselves 'cos they make an exceptionally large number of posts in a short time.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Sam_Fallow
    Options
    Growing old in unavoidable.

Growing up is optional.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • .Gigolo_Aunt
    .Gigolo_Aunt Posts: 184 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2016 at 8:59PM
    Options
    I'm sure there are, but that doesn't mean this poster isn't a skilled troll. Look at the comment on Jimmy Saville in DT that just elicited exactly the desired response from yourself!

You seem to be preoccupied with me being a 'troll'.

Now, I don't know you, but someone who repeatedly makes accusations, particularly at someone they don't even know, is usually guilty of that thing themselves. Could it be that you have been in trouble before on this site? :think: You do seem to make a lot of baiting posts.
  • .Gigolo_Aunt
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Trolls often expose themselves 'cos they make an exceptionally large number of posts in a short time.

Have I made an exceptionally large number of posts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure