It's my fault, so it's my responsibility. Time to take it.

Options

Comments

• Thistle-down
    Options
    I've found it really helps to make it as convenient as possible to have alternatives to spending money - buying a good quality non-leaking bottle or thermos that is a pleasure to use, a nice lunchbox that is well insulated, etc. Getting it ready the night before is the key for me, if left till the morning rush, nothing would get done.
    :happylove
  • debbie_debt
    debbie_debt Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's been ages since I've written on here and tbh had forgotten all about it until now! I wanted to come back, review my goals for last year and set some new ones for this year. It's been a bumpy few months. We've had some huge successes and some slipping, but overall I'm pleased with here we are today.

Here goes:

Debt under £30,000 by the end of 2016 Currently £14,562!! Smashed it!!
    Pay off the Centre Parcs hols we’ve already booked for May 2017, by the end of 2016 We didn't get this paid off by the end of 2016, we prioritised debt we were paying interest on,
    but it was paid off in full in plenty of time before the deadline,
    and we had a brilliant hols

Don’t let my OH talk me into (or talk him into) any more holidays for 2017 except camping hols under £50 No more holidays planned, despite my OH's NEED for sun apparently
    Stick to my personal £150 per month ‘spends’ Generally achieved. Happy bunny
    Absolutely no CC spending I admit we did put a bit on the cc over xmas, but it was minimal when we suddenly realised I had no petrol to get to work and we were skint.
    I'm annoyed at my poor planning but it was paid off immediately on pay day

£1,000 emergency fund by the end of 2016 Gutted.
    Unachieved. Still not there yet.

Write a list of local free activities we can do with our kids and individually by the end of October 2016. A lovely list is done and printed next to the fridge
    Write a calendar of all the free big events planned for 2017 locally. Done! all on the calander
    One NSD per week.Going to be honest, I completely forgot about this aim and it's definitely not achieved.
    Fresh start...

Take picnics rather than eating out when we go on days out. Hmmm.... this list is getting less and less achieved as we near the end...
    Stop buying bottles of Diet Coke whenever I go to the shops!!! All I'm going to say is "oops"

I'm delighted we've more than halved our massive debt in less than a year, which is partly due to a tax rebate and a generous gift when my mum retired, but also due to some real sacrifice and sticking to our guns for once. We will get there eventually.

I will be back to post some 2017 goals very soon! :beer:
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done lovely.

You have made a great big dent in that debt!

Dxxx
  • ada-or-ardor
    ada-or-ardor Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    That is fabulous, well done you!! Considering the huge reduction you've managed, you should definitely focus on that emergency fund. Even £100 a month will build up and give you the safety net you need so you don't resort to credit. I know it slows down your debt free journey slightly, but it's essential :-)

Good luck!! Ada
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's been quite invigorating coming back to this diary and focusing on our goals again. Today is my first NSD, but just realised that the food shopping delivery arrived this morning. I'm not counting that as spending, but now I feel like a bit of a cheat :( For me, my NSDs will be more of a day that no cash will leave my purse and I won't get the switch card out. I don't want to spend anything unnecessary. Hope that makes sense!

I had a think about reducing my spending at work too. I've been getting more and more pressured with time in the mornings due to my LO having more of a lie in and me starting work earlier, meaning that making lunches has gone to the back of the pile of jobs needing doing. I've just been reading a thread on making and freezing sandwiches in advance, so it's all there ready to grab when I leave in the mornings. Does anyone else do this? I'm going to make a few to test this aft and see what they're like over the coming days. I also thought that buying nice bread rolls etc might make me less tempted to pick up something that looks more appealing than the one I'd already prepared. Fingers crossed.

Debbie
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We buy part baked ciabatta from Aldi or Lidl, bake them and make them up the night before. So long as you don't put salad or tomato on them (tends to make them soggy) they are delicious. Chicken, cheese, ham - anything like that and it's a fraction of the price to buy out of a nice sandwich shop.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    We buy part baked ciabatta from Aldi or Lidl, bake them and make them up the night before. So long as you don't put salad or tomato on them (tends to make them soggy) they are delicious. Chicken, cheese, ham - anything like that and it's a fraction of the price to buy out of a nice sandwich shop.

Thanks for that Toni'sfriend.

I've got to ask something - have you really found £799 lying about on the floor this year?? Is that what Wombling is?
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's basically getting something for less than it should be. Finding things, getting a good deal on something etc. I was recently given a Fortnum and Mason food hamper by a neighbour who won it in a raffle but didn't like anything in it It's just a fun way of keeping track. Have a look at the thread on the Challenge Board. I'm not very good compared to most people.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Morning Debbie,

I ready you diary during my night feeds. Zzzzz it was a long night me and DP take it in turns to do a night each so basically get sleep every other night ha ha!

Have you heard of an app called hoop it lists all the children's clubs,events etc you can set a distance, age and price range and just pick the day you want to see. Also are there many National Trust areas around you? Also an app for this. I've recently joined and have already saved a lot on days out.

Interesting you have pocket money for DS2 I always just pay for anything for the boys out of my money we did keep their child benefit money free for clothes, toys etc but that's gone since may leave and now I just buy what's needed when we have extra cash.

Have you thought about seeing up a few little savings accounts with small monthly DD's to save for Christmas and birthdays. That way if you see any bargain you can buy and stash away but know it's coming from the Christmas pot. Also you don't get to Nov/Dec and panic buy on CC (I used to do this) I wrote down everyone I have to buy for then the amount I normally spend divide this by 12 then started the DD up. Same for the boys birthdays. Oh also are you on the bargain buys for busy mums on facebook? It's great for buying gifts in advance when you spot a bargain I now have a wardrobe full of bits and bobs for when DS gets invited to a birthday party.

Have you thought about not taking your card/cash to work so you can't buy bits and bobs? Or maybe keep a spending diary for a week or month and total up how much you spend on snacks and drinks then look at what clothes you could have brought etc? I always book hair appointments or buy an item of clothing I've been eyeing up on payday then it's spend and I can't buy small bits and baby and fritter it away. I do agree that one of life's little joys is an ice cold can of Diet Coke though.

Ok best go get sorted for the school run. Sorry I think my post it a bit disjointed I haven't had a brew yet and just trying to type while I can remember what I read in the night.

Catch ya later x
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    P.S just got dressed and put on a Asda jumper with a repaired hole in it! Where did all our money go. Definitely not on clothes!
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts