It's my fault, so it's my responsibility. Time to take it.

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Reading your diary sounds exactly like me! We have loads of debt and nothing to show for it but like you spent money on trips and treats that I felt we deserved ( even to the center parcs holiday). I have to admit I'm already feeling tempted for next summer! Good luck and I will be subscribing and well done for having your lightbulb moment!
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Hi. I just popped in to say hello. I'm another one that has a lot of debt and very little to show for it except experiences and holidays.

We also justify things all the time but no more. We are learning to say no and also have started to bring picnics on days out. And you know what, the kids prefer a picnic!

Subscribed xx
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Hi,

Reading your diary sounds exactly like me! We have loads of debt and nothing to show for it but like you spent money on trips and treats that I felt we deserved ( even to the center parcs holiday). I have to admit I'm already feeling tempted for next summer! Good luck and I will be subscribing and well done for having your lightbulb moment!

Thanks debtaghh! Centre parcs is fab isn't it, and we always go out of season so it's quite a cheap hols, but I am kicking myself for booking next year now I've to pay for it on a tight budget, but I'm not losing the 33% deposit so it's our last hols for a few years!
    Hi. I just popped in to say hello. I'm another one that has a lot of debt and very little to show for it except experiences and holidays.

We also justify things all the time but no more. We are learning to say no and also have started to bring picnics on days out. And you know what, the kids prefer a picnic!

Subscribed xx

Hi clearmydebts, thanks for stopping by. It's so easy to justify things, to ourselves more than anyone I'm learning, although me and my OH are great at jointly justifying things and getting each other wound up until we think something is a great idea. Like Florida this year! £5k later...:mad: But we had a great time with amazing memories that will see us through the next few years.

No more! Time to learn the phrase "we can't afford to, sorry". I've literally never said that to anyone about anything.

Debbie
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    While I'm here, I also need to admit a transgression, but it's also a positive thing. I'll explain.

Today, I went to a playcentre with my friend and the kiddies. It's usually £3.50 to get in and we take lunch (they allow it in this one). I had £3.50 in my purse to stop me spending any more at all. I thought this was a good plan. When we got there, there was a 'closing-down' party on. It's their last week in business apparently and it seems like they're celebrating by fleecing their customers. All this week it's £5.50 to get in and you get 'free' party food. By the time we knew this, the kids were already in and playing, and I didn't have the heart to drag them out, so I put it on switch. This goes against the rules of our household budget. Now usually, I'd have put it on a CC with every intention of paying it back from my spending money (some of the time I did, some of the time I forgot completely, but the intention was there). This time, I've put it on switch. I'll tell my hubbie what happened and I'll take less spending money for my DS on Friday when we divvy up the spending money (we allocate £60 a month to DS1 and the same for DS2. Obviously if they needed something more, they'd get it, but this should cover all entertainment, eating out, toys etc and we try and get clothes and shoes out of it too).

I'm seeing this as progress. I didn't have a CC to put it on and I was determined it wasn't going on one. I'll be honest about it with my OH and pay the switch account back. I know it's only £5.50, but it could easily have been £20/30/40 and I'm seeing it as the same principle.

Happy Debbie, despite overspending :rotfl:
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    I've had a scary night tonight!

I've been going through the credit cards, just making sure I am 100% on top of everything in terms of payments, interest-free periods, balance transfers etc. Thankfully, all bar £1800 of our debt is on 0%, so obviously I'm focusing on that card first. However, I've been going through statements for the rest. We both have a Virgin money card each. They've only ever been used for 0% BTs so I've never paid too much attention to the interest rates, but the 0%'s will be up at various points over next year and I wanted to see what interest we'll be facing if we can't shift the debt.

My OH's interest is 17.48%. Not too bad, I thought, but could be better.
    Mine is 26.49%!!!!!!!!!! I nearly fell off my flippin chair!!! I honestly thought my credit rating would be miles better than his. Clearly Virgin don't agree!

Guess who's card is being paid off first...
  • kindofagilr
    Options
    My Debt Diary Goals

Pay off the Centre Parcs hols we’ve already booked for May 2017, by the end of 2016

Ohhh we are going there next year :) we've booked to go the start of june for the weekend, I've paid for the hols but need to save the spends xx
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    Ohhh we are going there next year :) we've booked to go the start of june for the weekend, I've paid for the hols but need to save the spends xx

We're the end of May! Going Monday - Friday and absolutely love it.
  • debbie_debt
    Options
    I seem to have such an issue with spending. I drive past a shop and instinctively want to stop and buy something. I go to work with food but can't help but get "just a bit of something" from the canteen and drinks from the vending machine. I honestly think I have an issue! I know I'm spending, but it's just a general frittering of very small amounts of cash. I need to get a handle on this. I'm sure if I did, I could afford to replace/repair some of the many clothes I have with holes in them at the minute!!!
  • Hey debbie_debt,

I already love your diary and cannot wait to see you smash these goals you have set yourself.

I am another one who has nothing really to show for their debt.

Have already been debt free then ran it all back up again, initially it was due to being made redundant but most of it is on going out for nice dinners, theatre & generally just buying a ton of stuff we don't actually need, I could throw up when I think about it!

I am also wearing holey clothes as I refuse to buy them until I can afford them (also on a diet so want to buy smaller sizes) I am also a person who feels like they can't walk out of a shop without buying something!

Gah so annoying, we will get there.

Small changes all add up & before we know it we will have a handle on this.

Good luck!

Dxxx
  • debbie_debt
    Options

I am also wearing holey clothes as I refuse to buy them until I can afford them (also on a diet so want to buy smaller sizes) I am also a person who feels like they can't walk out of a shop without buying something!

Dxxx

Glad to know it's not just me putting up with holey clothes Dolly! I'm also trying to shift the last few baby pounds (he's now 19months haha) so I don't want to spend anything until I'm back in all my pre-pregnancy clothes that are taunting me from the top of the wardrobe.

We will get there!!

Being forced back into debt because of redundancy must have been so hard. Huge respect for tackling it again and making it back. I can't wait till we can all say "never again!"

Debbie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family