Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    hopefully you had a great Christmas and are looking forward to an amazing 2018!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 December 2017 at 10:18PM
    Options
    Thanks inod - hope your Xmas went well too!

Well I’m back now at home with some coffee and stollen! Went out to lunch on Xmas day with DSis, her OH, little nephew and OH’s sister. The venue was buzzy and Christmassy with good service. Food was ok - though not half as good as an at home Xmas lunch. The big blot was the entertainment which was a “Rat Pack” style singer. His voice was ok but he seemed to think that he was at a holiday camp - kept rushing round all the tables and sticking his microphone into people ‘s faces trying to get them to sing whilst they were eating. Some obliged but he looked very offended when he done it to me and I said no! He ended the first half of his act standing on a chair trying to get everyone to get up too and have a sing song. Surprisingly not many did! Also little nephew (who is four) went up to him and told him he shouldn’t be standing on a chair with his shoes on! He gave our table a wide berth after that!:rotfl:

Most of Christmas morning was spent with the kids (nephew and OH’s great nephew and niece) opening their pressies - again they all had way too much, wanted to open every single thing at once and then didn’t know what to play with. It was past 9pm that evening that we adults realised we hadn’t opened any of ours!

Yesterday DSIs’s OH’s family came over - we had a nice time but the sheer amount of toys scattered about the house was ridiculous and the kids were over excited.

I said to DSis that I’m just going to buy nephew one present at birthday and Xmas from now on and give her some cash to put in his bank account.

Today DSis ran me home - we went to the cemetery first so we could tidy up Mum and Dad’s grave and I put my wreath on it.

I think this the first Christmas I’ve really been thankful to get home! I missed DD but musing on it I think I’m at a time now when I prefer an “adult” type Christmas. I don’t really do screaming kids any more! What an old grinch I sound! I suppose I’d be different if they were my own grandkids. :D

Pressie wise I was lucky again - some really nice bits - a couple of things that will go to the charity shop - not really me - I won’t use them but someone else probably will - but the thought was there. DSis and OH bought me a ticket to see the new Tina Turner musical next year. DSis will be coming along and then taking me out for a meal afterwards so I’m really looking forward to that!:)

I’m now going to catch up with some programmes I recorded over Christmas - I think “The Miniaturist” first - I read the book earlier in the year so interested to see how the Beeb have interpreted it.

Will be back to read diaries later!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks inod - hope your Xmas went well too!

Well I’m back now at home with some coffee and stollen! Went out to lunch on Xmas day with DSis, her OH, little nephew and OH’s sister. The venue was buzzy and Christmassy with good service. Food was ok - though not half as good as an at home Xmas lunch. The big blot was the entertainment which was a “Rat Pack” style singer. His voice was ok but he seemed to think that he was at a holiday camp - kept rushing round all the tables and sticking his microphone into people ‘s faces trying to get them to sing whilst they were eating. Some obliged but he looked very offended when he done it to me and I said no! He ended the first half of his act standing on a chair trying to get everyone to get up too and have a sing song. Surprisingly not many did! Also little nephew (who is four) went up to him and told him he shouldn’t be standing on a chair with his shoes on! He gave our table a wide berth after that!:rotfl:

Most of Christmas morning was spent with the kids (nephew and OH’s great nephew and niece) opening their pressies - again they all had way too much, wanted to open every single thing at once and then didn’t know what to play with. It was past 9pm that evening that we adults realised we hadn’t opened any of ours!

Yesterday DSIs’s OH’s family came over - we had a nice time but the sheer amount of toys scattered about the house was ridiculous and the kids were over excited.

I said to DSis that I’m just going to buy nephew one present at birthday and Xmas from now on and give her some cash to put in his bank account.

Today DSis ran me home - we went to the cemetery first so we could tidy up Mum and Dad’s grave and I put my wreath on it.

I think this the first Christmas I’ve really been thankful to get home! I missed DD but musing on it I think I’m at a time now when I prefer an “adult” type Christmas. I don’t really do screaming kids any more! What an old grinch I sound! I suppose I’d be different if they were my own grandkids. :D

Pressie wise I was lucky again - some really nice bits - a couple of things that will go to the charity shop - not really me - I won’t use them but someone else probably will - but the thought was there. DSis and OH bought me a ticket to see the new Tina Turner musical next year. DSis will be coming along and then taking me out for a meal afterwards so I’m really looking forward to that!:)

I’m now going to catch up with some programmes I recorded over Christmas - I think “The Miniaturist” first - I read the book earlier in the year so interested to see how the Beeb have interpreted it.

Will be back to read diaries later!

Glad you had a good Christmas SSG. Your story about the singer made me laugh :rotfl:.

I know what you mean about a kiddie Christmas. It's fun seeing their pleasure but can be tiring. I've been there and done that with my own kids, so I enjoy an adult Christmas. Although it could be a different story if I ever have DGC ;).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks Hairy - hope you all had a great time too!

I woke up today to a bright, but cold day - different to yesterday where it snowed/sleeted for hours - though it never settled.

Paid my half year service charge on the flat - £422 - always annoying but at least it was there in the YNAB pot!

Looking over the Christmas finances I overspent on the presents (£64) and food (£32), plus Christmas lunch was £120 with drinks. I was paid just before Christmas so have worked out my YNAB budgets for the coming month.

I finally got a PA survey but still about another c.£5 to go before I cash out at £20. Other surveys still trundling away but I’ve been screened out of a few.

Had a nice quiet day - caught up on the phone with a few friends and read - at the moment I’m reading a biography called “Kick” which is about JFK’s favourite sister who was an interesting character in her own right before her tragic death.

Back to work tomorrow, but we break up at lunchtime - it will be very quiet anyway. There’s only me and one of the guys covering so will get a few jobs done ready for when everyone is back next Tuesday.

Have a good evening everyone.
    SSG x
    🌟
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SSG just been reading about your Christmas, it sounds good apart from the singer! I have DGC but 3 hours on Christmas morning was plenty for mr.pe Dinner was at my parents with my son, very grown up affair. The kids had just enough toys , but youngest was a bit overwhelmed with all the noise.

Today sounds like a relaxing day, I have worked this year for 2 days , I can’t say I was busy , spent more time speaking to colleagues that don’t normally get to see than actual work. Anyhow have DGS staying tonight and some of tomorrow , then will be packing for my trip.

Have a good new year. X
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    It WAS lovely to see their excitement Cumbria - especially my nephew - DSis and OH adopted him just before last Christmas and his little life was, shall I say, less than perfect with his natural parents so it’s wonderful that he has had a Christmas like he had. But I think I would agree with your youngest DGC as I was overwhelmed by the noise!

Enjoy your time with your DGS!
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Today I was going over what I did last month - as it was the run up to Christmas I can’t honestly say it was particularly Scrimpy! But I was very lucky to have visited Chatsworth, spent a glorious weekend in Stratford and visited DD and her family. Plus have had some good times and wine with friends and a happy, but noisy and hectic Christmas! I do consider myself extremely fortunate and blessed to have such a lovely family and good friends.

Looking forward to January, I’ve not got anything particular in the diary apart from taking DSis out to the theatre and meal for her birthday. I’ve already bought the show ticket, but will pay for meal, drinks and any taxis as on our birthday days out we don’t let one another pay for anything. So that will be an expensive day, but I’m hoping to get quite a few NSDs in as well that month to counter balance.

Yesterday I worked till lunchtime. When I arrived the enormous Xmas tree in the atrium of our building had gone already and also the smaller tree in our own firm’s reception area. It looked very bare :( - and also a skeleton staff in the office - just me and my colleague on our desk and hardly anyone called. I spent my time getting things ready for the new year and caught up with some electronic filing.

After work I hit Clinton Cards, Cards Galore and the Post Office and bought 40 lovely Xmas cards, all my nice family Xmas cards, Xmas bags and Tissue paper - all half price in the sales and ready for next Christmas. Also all my 2nd class stamps bought for the cards - just in case the price goes up this year!:D

Today I bought some more Xmas bottle bags half-price in a local card shop before I met some friends. We had a couple of bottles of vino, some spicy curly chips and coffees.

I’m now back indoors ready for the new series of “Spiral” which starts later this evening - pate and toast for tea,:D

Enjoy your Saturday evening everyone!
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like a fab day SSG. I bought some Xmss cards today too - reduced of course :) Good idea with the stamps :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    i'm still working my way through overstocks of cards bought previously. next year i should also escape without further purchases. so pleased to report that we actually managed second class post for our cards this Christmas
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sounds like a fun and productive day apart from the missing Xmas trees SSG. Good to get all your cards bought cheaply and stamps stocked up :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure