Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I do feel sorry for small independent shops, but with people's budgets being squeezed they want to buy the cheapest products available.

I never buy new books as I can't afford it, but I would be sad if my local bookshop closed down.

If I had a lot more money then I probably would buy from smaller local businesses, but I can't afford to have a conscience at the moment :o.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks redo and Hairy

I agree with you on feeling sorry for those who have to shop expensively through no choice of their own. I see quite a few elderly people at the weekend out on our local high street with their pull along shopping baskets – we do have a small Tesco here as well as a couple of Co-ops and a Spar, but these always work out dearer than the main big supermarkets that are further away - plus the really elderly are unlikely to shop online for their groceries.

I've had another really busy week in work. I got back on Monday morning straight into a training meeting that was mandatory, so two hours here set me right back on my workload! Plus the corporate Christmas cards and chocolates had to be sent out to clients so I spent all morning and my lunchtime yesterday getting these out. Plus more accounts to open as well as well as the usual admin, and stuff to prepare for the end of year financial reports.

One bright spot – one of our lovely clients has sent me a £25 John Lewis voucher for Christmas! The boss also gave me my voucher today as he's off tomorrow and I won't see him again till the New Year. I'll open this on Christmas Day though.

I've felt really tired this week - I've been working late and have been going to bed not long after I've got in so haven't been updating my diary as much as I should this week. Apparently, we had heavy snow at home last weekend while I was away. When I got home Monday evening it had all gone – but there was still a snowman standing on our communal lawn! This morning all that was left of him was a small lump of ice! :(

Money wise not a lot going on – though I did treat myself to fish and chips on the way home the other night! :D Presents have all been bought and the last lot will be wrapped this weekend – all the cards went out last week. I did notice on my way in to work today that M&S have 50% off all their Christmas wrap, bags, cards etc, so I might pop in tonight to see if there's anything I can buy to put away for next year!:)

Remaining things in the diary for this week – I'm meeting my friend tomorrow night for a Christmas drink and to exchange pressies, plus have our Christmas lunch on Saturday with my local girlfriends. Sunday is pilates day.

Anyway - back to work now – I'll try and catch up with diaries tonight.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SSG your diary always makes me feel calm , you seem to be able to cope with everything , even being busy. I have missed lots of Christmas festivities at work being ill this week. It's my birthday tomorrow so I will be spoilt by my family.

Have a good evening with your friend tomorrow.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria - Thats kind of you to say so - though I don’t always feel calm at work! I won’t bore you with my 20 minute telephone conversation with Royal Mail today over a missing recorded delivery letter but suffice to say the steam coming out of my ears would have powered Stephenson ‘s Rocket!:mad:

I’ve just caught up with your diary and I’m sorry you’ve missed all your festivities. You’ve sounded very rough and I hope you’re finally on the road to recovery now and have a very happy birthday tomorrow.

I went to M&S on my way home tonight to check out the half price Xmas stuff. Since this morning I think a plague of locusts must have descended! Still I bought some bottle bags which I always use each Christmas and some gift tags. I didn’t bother with wrap as I’ve still got plenty left over from last year - even though I’ve wrapped most of the pressies. I told the family that they would probably get mis-matched gifts as I was determined to use up all the paper before buying fresh!:)
    🌟
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You sound as if you need a good long rest at the weekend SSG after your busy time at work.

I find your diary very soothing and interesting too. You always seem to be doing nice things and slways seem calm and cheerful :). Not like my stressfest of a diary :o.

I would have loved to have heard you on the phone though :rotfl:.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks Hairy - though I think you have had every right to feel stressful these last few months. Hopefully now you and your family can settle down and enjoy Christmas.:)

I’ve been thinking over my 2018 list of goals and will record them down here once I’ve thought of them all!:D
    🌟
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I'll look forward to hearing your 2018 goals SSG. I'm going to formulate some too, once I can get my head straight.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I'm still mulling over my 2018 list! I'll make sure it's ready for the end of this month!:D

Had a nice weekend – went for drinks Friday lunchtime with some colleagues and then met up with my friend after work that evening – exchanged pressies and had Xmas drinks and nibbles. We've decided we're going to have a weekend jaunt in June. Her husband is away for a long weekend then to Spain with his friends – ostensibly to watch the World Cup footie matches on a massive screen, but really it's going to be a gigantic p*** up! So we decided that we would go away that weekend as well – we used to do quite a bit of weekends and holidays together some years ago. We're thinking of Ireland – we've done Dublin already together and I've also been there on other occasions. Thinking of Cork? My pal has a good friend living there so thought we would meet up with her and she could show us what's what! Will look at flights/hotel in New Year – so another monetary goal to aim for!

On Saturday met up with my local pals for a Christmas festive lunch – seven of us and had a great time. I got home and ended up watching "It's A Wonderful Life" on TV – one of my favourite Christmas films! Sunday I creaked and groaned through another pilates session but that's it till after Christmas.

All pressies wrapped and ready to roll now!:j

I'm in work all this week, but only in the morning on Friday. Have my nail appointment tomorrow night and hairdresser on Thursday. Meeting up for a final drink and lunch on Saturday with two friends and then over to DSis's on Christmas Eve afternoon.

Tonight I'm getting the food/drink I'll be taking over to DSis's. I've got a £5 off food voucher for M&S so I'll be popping in there on the way home.

Hopefully the above will be the end of the spends now until after Christmas!

🌟
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Hello SSG... I strongly suspect your DD and I live in the same town ;) I agree about the loss of the shops, and for this place in particular it's a real loss because of the kind of place it is.
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's never ending with the spends this time of year SSG, we have to be strong :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure