Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    My mum suffered from the same foot condition as you SSG and needed to buy special insoles for her shoes that her GP recommended. It is better now but the insoles made all the difference at the time.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,312 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear the news about your foot. My feet are terrible, should do something about them really. My left foot is still a bit swollen from the broken ankle so looks ok at the moment but my right foot has a huge bunion and a bony lump on the second toe - not painful but unsightly. Years of wear and tear, walking over 16k steps a day has its downside.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    In a similar vein, went to an amazing pizza place with some of OH's friends last night, also several people we didn't know, but nice to meet them all. Walked there, (an hour :)) but I insisted on a taxi back. But lovely evening and no sore head this morning.

Yes it’s nice to have restaurants local to you that serve above average food - it doesn’t have to be “fancy.” Like you we have a really good local independent pizza/pasta place that’s not too expensive. DD and OH love it and always try to eat there if they can fit it in when they visit.

Good idea on the taxi home - I would have done that as well after a blow-out!
    My mum suffered from the same foot condition as you SSG and needed to buy special insoles for her shoes that her GP recommended. It is better now but the insoles made all the difference at the time.

Thanks Hairy. The podiatrist said he could do that but mentioned the foot surgeon because he said if an operation is necessary then it’s better to have it sooner rather than later age wise. Still if that’s necessary I couldn’t see myself having it until the New Year as I’ve a busy time coming up!:eek:
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Sorry to hear the news about your foot. My feet are terrible, should do something about them really. My left foot is still a bit swollen from the broken ankle so looks ok at the moment but my right foot has a huge bunion and a bony lump on the second toe - not painful but unsightly. Years of wear and tear, walking over 16k steps a day has its downside.

Poor old you! This is the problem - we do all this exercise to keep healthy but then the wear and tear on our bodies over the years lets us down. :(

Friday

It was a work colleague’s birthday coming up - so the desk pitched in - £10 but it came out of my gifts budget.

Went to the concert in the evening and got my annual Pink Floyd fix! As always a fantastic gig and a sell out! All us wrinklies enjoying ourselves. DD was the teenager there age wise! I paid for the taxi there and back so £15.50 with tips.

Saturday

Bit of a catastrophe as DSis came down with a flu type virus and couldn’t make The Dreamgirls show. She was gutted as she’d been really looking forward to it. Her and OH’s Great-nephew came along instead. He’s ten and I think the show went on a bit for him but he said he liked going to the theatre. It was very funny because DSIs’s OH and him arrived before us - nephew wanted to use the loo but as I had the tickets the theatre wouldn’t let them in. So OH ended up sneaking him into The Savoy Hotel next door and using their loo! Nephew was totally gobsmacked by the luxurious cloakroom and couldn’t get over the pile of pristine white small terry towelling hand towels stacked up for individual use! I think the loo made more of an impression on him than the show! We went to the restaurant afterwards and he wolfed down a whole steak - growing boy! So DD and I still have to treat DSis and OH for their anniversary meal!

Today

DD has gone back home now. After finishing the housework and ironing I’m going to pop to the Co-op for a couple of bits then put my feet up!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I’ve finally caught up with my diary at last! I’ve had my nose to the grindstone at work over the past few days as I’ve been getting ready for my weekend trip away with DD. I’m taking her to Riga as her birthday present and we’re currently at the airport hotel ready for early flight tomorrow and I’m surreptitiously typing this while she’s listening and watching something online!:D

The trip has already been paid (including the hotel tonight) some months ago with cash from the bonus I got from work earlier in the year. I’ve got just over €230 left in cash from Italy last month as spending money. I bought the Gatwick Express tickets tonight but was able to use my Annual Season Ticket discount so got a third off.

Haven’t spent hardly anything the last few days apart from some plasters! Been taking breakfast and lunch into work. Had to renew my annual travel insurance though - £57.97 so cheaper than last year and budgeted for of course

Surveys still slow - £5.95 currently with PA and lots to do on the others before I can get paid out. Tried to join VO but they’re not accepting new members at the moment. :(

Got paid today - will try and update goals for month tomorrow night as off to bed now for early start!

SSG x
    🌟
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    When I grow up, I want your lifestyle.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • redofromstart
    Options

Me too :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have a lovely break xx
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Me too :rotfl:

Don’t wish your lives away:rotfl: You’lll be my age before you know it!:D

On re-reading my post re the theatre day out, I may have worded it wrong - I hope you didn’t think we went to The Savoy Hotel restaurant!:rotfl:
    Have a lovely break xx

Thanks Pmo2. Rīga is lovely - bit like a mini Prague, and it’s certainly colder here than it was when we left the U.K. But DD is in her element to be away “from the unnatural warm autumn weather.” We went on a long walking tour today which was very interesting and really gave us a good overview of Rīga and its history. We’re staying in the Old City part - our hotel is a 17th century building but modern and “boutiquey” inside and very comfortable. The food here is delicious, especially the fish. I had a bit of a mishap as I decided to learn a couple of phrases in Latvian but read the wrong page in the guidebook and ended up speaking Estonian instead which greatly amused DD. :eek: My foot is playing up a bit now after all the walking on the cobbles so giving it a rest now back at Hotel.

Managed to update YNAB last night and budget worked out for next month. I’ve put £580 back into the emergency fund to top it up from the tooth bill so got another £410 to go before it’s back to fully funded.

Will jot down my positives and negatives for the last month and November extra outgoings when I get home on Sunday.

Uz redzesanos for now - that’s Latvian (not Estonian) for goodbye!:D

SSG x
    🌟
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: to your mixing up your Baltic languages :D

Sounding wonderful...think I need to join the queue to be just like you :D

xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options

OMG me too :D

Enjoy your trip SSG, lucky DD to have such a generous mum :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure