Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your comments - especially bob for taking time to post as I know you are having an especially tough time at the moment. And JW - I'm getting back into your diary next to see what you have been up to!

Welcome HairyHandofDartmoor! :hello: what a great name - makes me think of werewolves running riot over the moor at the full moon ( you're not really one are you!):eek:

Well it's a funny set up between me and the boss. We've known one another nearly forty years since we were in our twenties working at the same company. He left and went to another firm though we would catch up from time to time at various ex-colleagues drinks etc. About twenty years ago the firm I was working for was taken over by his firm and we ended up in the same division. He had done really well for himself and asked me to work for him - this was a more interesting position for me and I've been with him ever since. We've moved around firms a couple of times since then and he's always looked after me salary and bonus wise and I was able to reduce my mortgage quite significantly. He can get snappy but I always retaliate and can generally shut him up! I don't think there's a team quite like us in the firm! So in a way we're like friends but where one friend is the proverbial pain in the butt from time to time!

But you are all quite right - he shouldn't act like the way he does. I'm afraid the old school City culture has got a lot to blame for this and he is a product of his time.

Anyway he has been as nice as pie today! And at least I'm not married to him! :D

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: yes, that would definitely be worse!!

You're not missing anything especially exciting over on my diary, SSG - just a lot of complaining on my part :D
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just catching up, lovely to have you back on the threads. Wow wow wow to the EF success and the personal training of course. Very impressive :)

Friends/management issues are not infrequent. Pity it happened but probably something on balance you can live with if it only happens occasionally? However swearing at someone is always unacceptable but I have been slightly surprised at how frequently it happens in both public and private sectors. Maybe have a quiet chat with him next week and say how much it upset you and how he needs to keep himself in check in future.. city culture or not. (I work in a similar world so I know exactly what you mean..not enough diversity or women or BME tbh..I could go on)

Have a great weekend x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    JWPopps wrote: »
    You're not missing anything especially exciting over on my diary, SSG - just a lot of complaining on my part :D

Oh JW I've just caught up with your diary and if anyone has had the right to vent her feelings lately ( I wouldn't call it complaining!), it is you!

And hi brizzle:hello: Thanks for your comments. He's been as good as gold today (sounds like a three years old!:rotfl:). He will have to watch out though ( and I will have to watch out for him as well) as one of our HR managers is going to temporarily "hot desk" near ours! :eek: It's a shame because he is so good in lots of other ways. He let me go early today and he often does that if we are not too busy. Most other bosses at our firm wouldn't bother. You're right about the swearing becoming more common though. The F word seems to be becoming a part of the English conversational vocabulary in some quarters (and with more girls sadly). My dad was an East End docker but the only swear word he would ever use in our house was the occasional "bloody" when he was really annoyed!

I transferred over £50 to my sister today as contribution towards little nephews' new school uniform and ad hoc clothes as he's growing so fast. Although in the photo she sent me of him posing in his uniform before he started school his satchel was so big he looked like he was heaving round a suitcase!:). But he did look cute! Sis and OH's money is a bit tight at the moment owing to a few things and he is my only nephew!

Also remembered I had £15.18 to claim back from the BBC as they are shutting down their online shop soon and I have a rebate to come on some shows I had downloaded.

Weather was appalling today and the mornings are darkening fast but at least we're not living in the Caribbean or south east USA. One colleague thankfully heard today that his brother-in-law was safe in BVI but a good friend is worried about her daughter's family who live just outside Tampa and about four hours drive from Miami. They have horses and other animals as well. Hopefully all will be well.

SSG x
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,413 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How kind of you to contribute towards nephew's school uniform. Your sister is lucky to have you xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Where has the weekend gone?! Can't believe I'm back to work tomorrow. :(

Yesterday was quiet. Went to the gym in the morning. Had a good weights session with the PT. Went home, had shower, finished the housework then picked a few foodie bits at the Co-op. Santander had an offer on my account of 8% Cashback on any Co-op shop so bought the shopping on my debit card instead of the Amex Cashback card. Spent the evening watching Strictly and then caught up with Inspector Montalbano. Love that series! Sicily is on my bucket list!

Today I spent the afternoon at our local annual Regatta. I went with my friend and met her DD and SIL down there. Shame that the weather was so windy and rainy. Good atmosphere though and plenty of people turned out. My friend's DD sings in a band and knew one of the other bands performing there so they had her up to sing with them. They were so good! Afterwards friend's DD and SIL treated us both to a lovely Italian meal though we couldn't believe the weather when we left the restaurant. I've never seen rain like it !

Anyway I'm in now and just trying to decide whether I catch up on the with Comorant Strike or that rather nice Levison Wood......:D

SSG x
    🌟
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,413 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like a fab weekend SSG :).
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Forgot to mention only spent £7.85 on drinks at the Regatta yesterday plus £2 in the Sea Scouts and Macmillan charity tins.

Then there was today....

Basically:
    • Dentist bill that cost as much as a holiday.
    • I lost my Fitbit!

I went to the dentist this morning for my check up. Last year the inlay on one my molars came away when I chewed on a toffee. The dentist cemented it back but said that it may have to be replaced eventually. Well eventually finally came today - £990! :eek::eek::eek: oh and that's with my 10% discount. And no it's going to be made of platinum either. So the emergency fund will be finally raided and then I'll have to replace it so kitchen will be pushed back.

And to top it all when I got up to get off the train this evening I realised My Fitbit wasn't on my wrist! I know it was there lunchtime but I can't remember it since. It wasn't on the train so I'm hoping it fell off near my desk and perhaps the cleaners have found it.

Pee'd off from Seasideville signing off. :(

(But my friend's family ok in Florida - Irma seemed to swerve slightly just before it got to them so though no electricity and a bit of a disaster tree and fencing wise, all ok including the animals. So could have been a lot worse and puts my moaning into perspective).
    🌟
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Oh SSG that's horrendous luck - on the dentist and the FitBit fronts! Hope the cleaners did find it.

So pleased to hear everything's ok with your friends' family - it must be really terrifying for people there.
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Arrrrrghhhhhhhh re the fitbit i hope it turns up soon x
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback