PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really understand the tears at getting a travel pass! It's certainly a life changer when you start to realise you are not going to wake up able to do all the stuff you used to!

I remember the day I first accepted my walking stick was a part of my life....and my first wheeled walker...and my disability pass....the first time I was awarded DLA....and oh boy! the first time someone stood up and let me have the 'disabled' seat on a bus!

I used to enjoy mountain walking...I spent a number of happy holidays in Austria...I had always intended to see the Swiss mountains one day...and really regret that I never got round to more of the UK ones....it still kind of breaks my heart when I look at photos and think 'that's another thing I will never do again'

I used to work full time (more than full time for a while...really stupid hours!)...that's a big part of me that is lost.

I think one of the biggest rips to the heart was the day I accepted I would never have children.

On the other hand...I can remember a time when my health was so much worse than it is now...I came close to not making it through a serious episode a few years ago....that can shift your perspective.

I can't do many things that I used to...but I have learned new skills...including knitting and embroidery.

Of course I still have bad days...I think all of us here do! More often than I like to think of!

But I also get days when I am able to take joy in what I am still able to do....a walk to the park to sit at the cliff edge and see the sea below brings real delight when I can manage it.

One joy of this thread is that we can be honest...we all know what it is like to have the low days....and we don't have to put on a brave face...we know we will get understanding!
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I came into this thread to moan about insomnia, I've been up and down all night and will be tired, grumpy and dont feel great about tackling my day ahead.

Then I read your posts here and feel ashamed for complaining about that. I have no idea what it must be like to be so unwell. I have health issues and am at the edge of living a different way to cope with that. I went part time at work nearly a year ago and need to rest a lot. Dealing with medicines and side effects, not being able to do things I did a few years ago and living with pain frustrate me, angers me and I'm embarrassed about being weak.

Pretty pathetic of me as some of you deal with so much more. You are brave and admirable people. An inspiration to old style ways regardless of personal circumstances.

I'm a bit weepy, need to buck up and stop feeling sorry for myself. Just so tired now.. Sorry for the vent. Pot of tea, that will help :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We aren't brave - we're just ratty people who love a good moan and a pot of tea. Shove the kettle back on katkin and CAN YOU BAKE?? I could do with a nice fruit scone lol
    It's a long night when you canny sleep and a lonely one. But the day always dawns, sooner or later.
    My moan du jour is that I have run out of black pudding. Life cannot go on until I get some :eek:
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ach mardatha did you HAVE to mention black-pudding? Now all I can think about are the 'scotch eggs' I used to get from a farm shop...they were made with duck eggs and instead of sausage meat they had black pudding ...I could SO eat one of those right now!
  • mardatha
    Options
    I'm really upset that I haven't got any and canny get any until the RV takes me to a shop... I've never heard of scotch eggs done that way BUT RIGHT NOW I WANT ONE! lol
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,770 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ach mardatha did you HAVE to mention black-pudding? Now all I can think about are the 'scotch eggs' I used to get from a farm shop...they were made with duck eggs and instead of sausage meat they had black pudding ...I could SO eat one of those right now!

I have those - I bought them yesterday to try. The cat sat next to the cooker shouting that she wanted to try one too :rotfl:

I've had a quiet week sorry - I've been very tired. We had a funeral on Tuesday that whilst it didn't take a lot of physical effort floored me emotionally and extreme tiredness seems to have been the kick back from it.

I've been walking a couple of mornings - my hip has been aching but 15 months ago I couldn't climb the stairs in my own house never mind walk along the prom so it's all good. I won't be walking over the weekend so that'll give everything a chance to rest. I don't want to over do it.

Katkin you're allowed to feel sorry for yourself. Anything that has a big impact on your physical abilities is life changing. What you're not allowed to do is to sit back and give up. Look for the positives and enjoy the things that you can still do - they help you as the other stuff slips away.

Prinzessilein I can taste smells too. Pet hates - people wearing too much perfume (we ate out recently and the lady on the next table was so scenty I couldn't taste my pizza) and those squirty plug in air fresheners.
  • mardatha
    Options
    That's interesting CRANKY, I found when my ME got bad that I couldn't bear smells either. Those airfresheners now drive me insane and I used to love them. Perfume makes me sneeze apart from one (really expensive one, naturally!) and soap is another problem. I can use Bronnley but it's dear.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone - and bigs to anyone feeling low
    I've managed to have a reasonably productive couple of days and was good and really paced myself:)
    Still have a fair amount to do before guests arrive tonight but my son will pitch in with the bits I can't manage. I'm looking forward to the tonic of friends round the table, the chat and no doubt a few glasses of wine- so good for the soul:D
    Hope everyone has a good day x
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Talking of smells - I get phantom smells very often (I think the technical term is "phantosmia" or something like that); very often I could swear I can smell cigar smoke (which I loathe) in our lounge - but it's simply not possible, as neither of us smokes at all, and I actually don't allow smoking in the house. I've also sometimes smelled raw meat (again, absolutely rank to me) and again not possible, as we don't have it in the house. It's weird, and very unpleasant.

Today is the first anniversary of Mr LW retiring from work; we're supposed to be having a little celebration this evening; unfortunately my stomach has chosen today as one of the days it won't keep down anything put in it. :( Hoping it bucks it's ideas up by tonight.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words when I received my bus pass. You are so right, I do feel like a part of it, is the loss of me but I can still get about, just albeit it slower and provided I build lots of little rests inbetween doing tasks with lots of cups of tea, I'm fine. Well I would be if I didn't have 2 pees per 1 tea!!! Oh the joys of being older

The following day I received a letter telling me it was on its way and that the pass was a temporary pass, issued for 2 years. I felt as though the bubble was burst but then the realistic side of me kicked in that nothing is forever in this world anymore and that all things get reviewed periodically.

Anyway, I used my pass on Thursday and enjoyed my two bus and train rides home.

I'm still in the process of simplifying things at home. In the main, most have been done..... carpet only on the stairs and landing; laminate elsewhere to reduce time on lugging hoover around. I'm loving the slow cooker because I can make more and freeze, to be used on a day when I'm not feeling so grand. I'm clearing through the drawers, starting in the kitchen. Looking to condense stuff down into containers, to make it easier to find.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure