Forum Home» Sports and Fitness MoneySaving

Couch to 5K support thread. - Page 61

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Couch to 5K support thread.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
661 replies 147.9K views

Replies

• indesisivindesisiv Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would try and run without music, if you want music you have an imagination; sing to yourself. Also gives you something to do to take your mind off the running.
    My issue with music is that people starting out start to rely on music for pacing and getting through a run, when you become a better runner and you the music sort of hinders the natural rhythm of breathing, stride etc. I am still yet to come across someone whos running didn't get better after stopping running with music.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Ok, I had my first fail today... Not sure how long I ran for but somewhere around 8-10 mins, I think. I am crushingly disappointed in myself as it's just the same distance that I've done already so I KNOW I can do it - even as I was stopping inside my head I was screaming "no, what are you doing?!". My breathing was fine, my legs were fine, I just... stopped. I took a walking break and tried to start again but it wasn't happening so had to just come home :( Really don't know what it was but MapMyRun wouldn't work so I wasn't getting updates on pace etc so that was worrying me, and I couldn't get into the podcast I had - it was fine for the warm-up walk, which flew by when it normally drags, but as soon as I stared running I just couldn't get out of obsessing about how long I'd done so far etc. Arghhhh!!!!
    Not going to try tomorrow as am out tonight for dinner and really can't run the morning after I've had a glass of wine the night before. So, will try again on Sunday :(
    6.4K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done for getting out there in the first place CattyCatX.

Sometimes I am glad that I just decided to get out running without an app or phone etc when I started so I never knew what pace or distance I was running. Although now I run that way a lot I look back and realise it was only about 400m before I returned home knackered.

We all have bad runs, and indeed parts where you are walking where you feel fine. 99% of all the times you stop running is down to the brain and not the body giving out.
    All I can suggest is keep going, getting the brain used to the effort is hard to do (and its the reason the C25K takes the steps slowly to give it time to adjust)
    I can honestly say that on Saturday whilst running (Well racing actually) I was having that same argument with myself as I was walking up a hill and not running!!

Don't beat yourself up about it, enjoy your wine and then go again another day.
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when an app goes wrong - I think indesisiv has a very good point about us getting dependent on stuff that's supposed to help us. I always run with music because it's always playing in my head as soon as I start running, but I never have 'real' music. I've had apps stop randomly or reset the clock, which makes me feel I've wasted the run, but I suppose that's not true. At least I got up off the couch! :D

Think of it this way: you've kicked your metabolism up a gear just by getting started. That's a very useful thing to do. You've even got that feeling of regret for having missed the run you'd intended to do. In a few months, when you're running 5K for fun (it happens, trust me :D), this will be part of the process that got you there.

Here's hoping for good running conditions on Sunday for you. It's going to be sunny here.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 15.5 coupons spent out of 66
    6.4K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a few months, when you're running 5K for fun (it happens, trust me :D), this will be part of the process that got you there.

I've not thought about distance for a while, but this has just made me think about it. I've looked back at the last few months and the shortest run I now do is parkrun (5k) or outside of that around 4 miles. (Ignoring the couple of miles warmups before other training etc)

Its amazing how fast your thought process changes once you have been running for a while.

2 yrs ago I first started running, and was only managing around 400m before being knackered!

How did you get on, on Sunday CattyCatX?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Thanks for the encouragement both!!
    Unfortunately we had a family emergency over the weekend, which involved flying quite a distance and rushing around trying to sort lots of things out. Anyway, I'm travelling back this afternoon so want to get back to running tomorrow morning once I'm home and rested. Have missed my morning run (!) - I have been finding it a good way of taking my mind off things and not worrying about work (especially important now with 2 days' worth of work to squeeze into the rest of the week!)
    I don't know if I should start back on W6R1 or just try and go for W7R1 again?
  • edited 22 November 2017 at 9:25AM
    CattyCatXCattyCatX Forumite
    76 posts
    edited 22 November 2017 at 9:25AM
    Went out this morning pretty worried about the distance again but bargained with myself that if I still couldn't complete W7R1 this time then I would go back to W6R1 for the next attempt... but I did it!! W7R1 is done, another 25 mins of running :) I'm so happy! I really do feel great after finishing - must be the sense of achievement plus the endorphins (which I'm not sure I've ever felt in my life before prior to starting C25K!) The first 10 mins were absolutely awful but instantly felt much better once Sarah told me I was halfway. MapMyRun still isn't working - it's fine when I don't have any other apps running but if I'm using the C25K app at the same time it just won't start... it was fine with running both Apps simultaneously before so maybe there's been a software update or something?!
    What a relief! Looking forward to W7R2now :)
    6.4K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done CattyCatX.

Most runs start out hard until the body has adjusted to the effort. Thats why people warm up for races.

If you are running 25 mins then you should have no issues with going further.

Regarding your apps it could be that your phone is putting map my run to sleep in the background. You may need to add it to the do not hibernate list on your phone (Its under battery - menu - power saving exceptions on my phone. (Try strava too, many more people use it than map my run and its a bit like a social network once you get to know other people that are running)
  • Thanks indesisiv! W7R2 went ok this morning, although when Sarah says there's a minute left to go and that I should up the pace if I'm feeling ok I still feel like I'm dying so not sure how I'll manage an extra 3 mins next week (even though 3 mins sounds like hardly anything now compared with a few weeks ago!). Will have to see. My app* says that I'm getting faster as the 25 mins go on... Thinking of trying my new route again for W7R3 after my mental block last time... I downloaded Strava when I was a little distracted and trying to buy a coffee at the same time and must've clicked 'import contacts' as the next thing I knew I was looking at the Ex's recent run stats :eek: Privacy settings/following lists rapidly changed :rotfl:

*I know, I know, I'll try and wean myself off them!
    6.4K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    CattyCatX wrote: »
    My app* says that I'm getting faster as the 25 mins go on... Thinking of trying my new route again for W7R3 after my mental block last time... I downloaded Strava when I was a little distracted and trying to buy a coffee at the same time and must've clicked 'import contacts' as the next thing I knew I was looking at the Ex's recent run stats :eek: Privacy settings/following lists rapidly changed :rotfl:

*I know, I know, I'll try and wean myself off them!

Well done CattyCatX, I must admit that i have never listened to or tried the C25K app. Sure that you will manage the 3 mins fine, time gets shorter the more you run.

More variation on routes is always a good thing as long as you know the area you are running in so not having to look at a map or worry about getting lost.

haha I managed not to click that when I set up my strava! Although I did manage to click it when I joined facebook!!! Old emails suddenly got friend requests! :eek::eek:

All apps have a place within training, I mostly train to heart rate so routinely spend time looking at my watch whilst running. I don't look at it whilst racing though. Personally I love looking through strava to see how everyone else is getting on.