Couch to 5K support thread.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
661 replies 147.6K views

Replies

• CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done on the runs, CattyCatX - I wonder if you slowed down a bit at the beginning whether it might be less of a struggle? I am absolutely with you about how good it feels! (though not running for a few days as I've got a slight knee problem and am giving it time to recuperate).

I hope the emergency is now resolved. Horrible when these things come up. :( Getting back to running is good in so many ways, not least to wear off stress and give you the endorphins.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by £3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
  • Thanks both! Hope your knee is better soon Cherryfudge!
    W7R3 went much better this morning than the two previous W7 runs and I did manage to speed up for the last minute :) I'm still finding that I start off slowly and get faster with each kilometre.. won't be fast enough to do 5K in 30 mins in a few weeks' time though. Ah well, looking forward to attempting W8, feels like graduation is nearly within reach now!
    Liked trying Strava (now that Ex is blocked!) this morning, it didn't freeze or crash my phone; thanks for the tip indesisiv!
  • So, I graduated from the C25K app today by completing W9R3 :) Week 8 was great for me - some consistent and (relatively) speedy runs... Week 9 has been a struggle. I've been going a minute slower per km than I have for any other week in the app... I'm not sure why, although I have changed my route (new route is totally flat though, so can't blame hills). This means that I'm only covering the same distance that I was during week 7 so haven't made it to 5km yet... Hopefully that will come soon though.
    Hopefully this thread will revive in the future (maybe after some new year resolutions in January?!) but if anyone does read this one day then Week 3R1 and Week7R1 have definitely been the hardest for me and the points at which I really wanted to give up and even convinced myself that I'd never make it.
    Getting to the end of the App has also taken me slightly longer than 9 weeks as I've added in extra rest days along the way but the important thing is... I did it! And if I can, you can too. Thanks for all the support from this forum and also the NHS C25K forum for really inspiring and motivating me. Am looking forward to continuing the journey to improved fitness and reaching 5K!! Yay! So glad I trusted the programme and kept going :)
  • Well done CattyCatX great to see you've finished the app.

Pencil yourself a park run into your planning. Its a great way to keep making progress. The local c25k groups that I know sort of use them as a graduation ceremony.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Thanks indesisiv! Unfortunately there aren't any parkruns around here but there is a friendly running group who go for weekly runs and then drinks afterwards that I would like to join one day... they ask that you are able to run around 10km before you sign up though so I'm going to keep plodding along for however many months it takes until I get there! I feel much more confident now that I will reach that goal eventually... But first... 5km! I'm hoping I'll reach 5km by around the end of Jan, if not before :)
  • CattyCatX wrote: »
    Unfortunately there aren't any parkruns around here

:eek::eek:
    Luckily that's becoming less common nowadays as it looks like there are still new parkruns starting every week.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • indesisiv wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    Luckily that's becoming less common nowadays as it looks like there are still new parkruns starting every week.

Ha ha, well, I'm currently in a country where they don't have them yet! And there's also a distinct lack of green spaces that we would define as 'parks'. Although maybe someone will start one... Not sure where it could be held, mind you. That said, I'll soon not be too far from Bushy park, which I think was the original one? So maybe I could sign up for that...? Bit scared at the thought!
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done CattyCat - you are doing a great job!

I haven't yet braved a park run even though I've done 5K quite a few times. It will be great when the weather cheers up and I can be back trying to increase my mileage! Let us know if you sign up for Bushy Park. :)
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by £3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
  • SamSam17SamSam17 Forumite
    88 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    I’ve heard about C25K and attempted it only making it to W4. I was going to a gym before work and found every excuse you can think of after a little while.

Now I’ve got a treadmill at home and I’m going attempt this again determined to see it through. I think I scared myself after attempting W4D1 and struggling with it.
  • SamSam17 wrote: »
    I’ve heard about C25K and attempted it only making it to W4. I was going to a gym before work and found every excuse you can think of after a little while.

Now I’ve got a treadmill at home and I’m going attempt this again determined to see it through. I think I scared myself after attempting W4D1 and struggling with it.

Hope you're sticking with it SamSam17!

Today was a milestone for me as I finally (!!) managed 5km :j A very, very slow 5Km at 37.52 but still! I'd been happy for a few weeks at 4.5km when I had a terrible run on Saturday and only managed 2km before stopping... think it was a combination of being far too hot (sudden one-off temperature surge that morning), too many people around, which made me self-conscious and then, to top it all off, a man pinched my bottom as I ran past!! :mad::( Anyway, it all knocked my confidence so am doubly pleased to have got out there and done it this morning! WOO! Still debating signing up for the parkrun... I'll be in the area the weekend after next... :eek: