Couch to 5K support thread.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
661 replies 147.6K views

Replies

• CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done! I take my hat off to anyone that can run today, it seems bitter to me. DH managed a run but I didn't. I'm missing it though.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by £3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
  • Well done @Poor_Single_lady

Keep going, and enjoying.

I went out today, and whilst it was a bit chilly it was so nice to be out in the sun with shorts and t-shirt on again! Soon we will all be worrying about how hot it is.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Poor_Single_ladyPoor_Single_lady Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both. It's supposed to be very cold tomorrow. I am doing run and then coming home-shower-then meeting friend. Determined. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Well done Poor Single Lady! Hope you're sticking with it - I found the hardest part to be starting!!

I've found friends' reactions are a mixed bag. I've had more than a couple say "oh you getting up to 5Km inspired me to go out for a quick jog last night and I had an easy amble round the park, not putting any effort in, and ended up with a slow 25-minute 6 Km" [or variants thereof]. Which makes me feel a bit rubbish about my achievement as 5km still takes me an average of 37 minutes and I don't find it easy at all! They know how slow I am so I can't really decide what the point of their 'boasting' is? If it's deliberately passive-aggressive or trying to make themselves feel better (without thinking about how their words could affect me) about not doing an exercise for a while, like 'oh I haven't gone jogging for 6 months but at least I'm still faster/fitter than CattyCatX without even trying'. I hope not as it makes me not really like my friends as much :/ Or I guess it's my own insecurities reading too much into it! In any case, this time last year being able to run 5Km was only a dream so I am proud!
    Sorry for mini-rant there! Been fighting the flu on and off for the best part of a month now so not getting out to run that often and really missing it! Went out once last week and hoping to go tomorrow though. Still doing 5Km, also hoping to start trying (a tiny bit of) hill work every so often...
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    CattyCatX wrote: »
    Which makes me feel a bit rubbish about my achievement as 5km still takes me an average of 37 minutes and I don't find it easy at all!

You would complete your 5K ahead of me! My argument is that I need to be slow in order to do distance. :)

I've had a flu-type thing too and been too short of breath to run, which is just not me as I don't have a history of asthma. I think it's just a vicious bug and it takes a while to get fully past it so I started off with a few walks before attempting to run again. We're in this long-term so no point in setting ourselves back by being too enthusiastic too soon!

Your friends do sound very annoying! It may be that when you've been running as long as they have, you will go further and faster... we're all at different stages and this is for you and your health and well being, not a race. :)
  • CattyCatX wrote: »
    I've found friends' reactions are a mixed bag. I've had more than a couple say "oh you getting up to 5Km inspired me to go out for a quick jog last night and I had an easy amble round the park, not putting any effort in, and ended up with a slow 25-minute 6 Km" [or variants thereof]. Which makes me feel a bit rubbish about my achievement as 5km still takes me an average of 37 minutes and I don't find it easy at all!
    You would complete your 5K ahead of me! My argument is that I need to be slow in order to do distance. :)
    Your friends do sound very annoying! It may be that when you've been running as long as they have, you will go further and faster... we're all at different stages and this is for you and your health and well being, not a race. :)

I agree with CherryFudge, your friends don't seem to realise the effort that goes into a new runner starting from scratch. Not everything comes easy to everyone.

I'd advise them to find their local C25K and go and volunteer their time to assist them.
    It is a great thing to do to realise the effort and commitment that people put into it. We are just setting up one for the summer through our running club and I will be going along to volunteer for that very reason.

It puts things into context for us "faster runners" when you assist with these groups. As for your friends 25 min 6k .. meh its all relative some of us run faster than that in training runs without the need to belittle others that can't do that pace.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Hope you're feeling better soon Cherryfudge! Whatever flu I've had totally wiped me out so I sympathise a lot :(
    I managed to get out for a run yesterday and going again tomorrow so hopefully back into a routine now.
    I think the volunteering idea is a great suggestion, indesisiv! Will mention it next time we all get together. I'm still quite hurt by their comments tbh as it suggests a degree of self-centredness I hadn't expected from them but maybe seeing other people at an earlier stage of their running journey will open their eyes a bit!
    I have to say it's a great feeling when I meet other runners who seem at a similar stage to me as we smile at each other in acknowledgement of the struggle! I keep the "you're lapping everyone on the couch" in my mind a lot when I run, it really helps me! :o
  • Poor_Single_ladyPoor_Single_lady Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm not sure other people are all that helpful. It seems to be a thing you just have to do.

On the first week on C25K before all this snow- I was running in the park and a man in Lycra overtook me really closely. There was almost nobody else around just us And he had the entire path apart from the tiny bit on the right I was using slowly.

It was like he was making the point that I was slow. If I hadn't been using all my energy I would have sweared at him because I was furious. Just so rude.

I think running maybe brings out people's competitiveness and they enjoy being better than you. But of course they are better - I've sat on the couch for 30 years and they obviously think running is "such fun"!

But can't let this sort of nonsense put you off and if it happens again I'm finding the energy to tell him what I think.
    *but once the snow goes.

I think 5K at any speed is amazing. Can only dream of it so if I could do it I would be delighted with myself. And everyone that manages it should be telling themselves they are amazing. Well done to you all.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think 5K at any speed is amazing.
    So do I. :)
    everyone that manages it should be telling themselves they are amazing. Well done to you all.

Oh thank you! I have to admit I'm amazed too even though it's a while since I first did it. Totally amazed. It's such a great feeling when I've always been the loser in every single race, and now I can run. I still don't really believe it. :D

Keep at it PSL, one day this will be you (and one day you'll sail past the chap in lycra, rude so-and-so, and leave him behind).
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me again - hoping there are some fellow C25K-ers around to chat with as I restart from scratch.

I took up running about a year and a half ago and loved it, then in May of this year I had an accident (nothing to do with running, I've learned the hard way to steer clear of ladders when I'm tired) and was forbidden by the doctors to run until I was sufficiently recovered. Today I got the go-ahead and did Week 1 Run 1! It felt so good. :)

Anyone else running at the moment?