Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• I'm relieved to see the odd comment about 'repeating' a weeks programme. I did wonder about this notion of an almost magical training system that changes folk of all fitness backgrounds into a 5k runner in 9 weeks.

Now in my mid 50s, I was very active at school - rugby, football, tennis, badminton and so on, and when I was a student I played indoor 5 a side football twice a week, plus the occasional 11 a side game.

When I started working, that went down to weekly indoor mixed 5 a side hockey, then in my second job, that fell to weekly 10 pin bowling. In terms of exercise, it was a gradual decline down to the situation a couple of years ago when as I was doing nothing at all. I decided to start going for long walks, but that's been it.

With that history, I will be absolutely astounded if i can get through the 9 week programme in 9 weeks - maybe 18 weeks but 9? :eek:

WR
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Hi All

just popped in to let you know I am thinking of you all, well done to everyone who is out there running.

I am slightly disappointed with myself that I haven't managed to fit in my last run of the week, but work has been really busy and finding childcare is difficult. I will do my best to get out tomorrow to complete but if not I mustn't consider it a fail and just carry over into next week.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    I did wonder about this notion of an almost magical training system that changes folk of all fitness backgrounds into a 5k runner in 9 weeks.

totally agree, going from nothing to 5K in 9 weeks is a tall order, it is unrealistic to advertise it as possible for everyone. I think the site should make this clearer it probably puts many people off starting which is a shame as if you take it slow and steady you will get there, not in 9 weeks but that doesn't matter, its completing it which is important, not the timings.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Week 2, day 2 re-done! :j OH MY GOSH...it was so nice on todays run, about 5 mins before the end, it went really cold and started raining...the perfect cool down :D

I noticed quite a few runners on the trail today. That was nice. I dont normally run on Saturdays, or Sundays come to that, as i do Mon, Wed, Fri, but i think i might start doing Mon, Wed, Sat when i can.

I also think i am going to try week 3 on Monday. I might not stick to it, i might come back to week 2, but i feel like now i have got more of a handle on my breathing (thanks indesisiv!) i can step it up a bit.

Wild_Rover wrote: »
    Well, if you have a stomach bug, it sounds as if you might well be running......... just not outdoors. :cool:

Get well soon!

WR

I'm feeling much better thanks Wild Rover, hence the run today :)
    It wasn't my best run, but i am still feeling a little weak. But i did it :)

iammumtoone- dont give yourself a hard time. Life gets in the way sometimes. For me, this isn't a rush, a 'must do it in 9 weeks' plan...it's just a 'get fitter and run a 5K' plan. Whether that takes me 9 weeks or 9 months, i don't really care. I just want to be able to run a 5K without stopping (or dying!).

Elfbert- did you have a look at your next week? What did you think? Well done on W3D4! You are so inspiring!

Who is running today? Good luck, have fun!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    totally agree, going from nothing to 5K in 9 weeks is a tall order, it is unrealistic to advertise it as possible for everyone. I think the site should make this clearer it probably puts many people off starting which is a shame as if you take it slow and steady you will get there, not in 9 weeks but that doesn't matter, its completing it which is important, not the timings.

Exactly my thoughts too IAMTO :)
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad you feeling better wanttobese and well done on going today, I found that when I went last weekend there were more people about than my normal weekday afternoon time. I didn't like it: :o much rather be on my own so no one sees me.

WantToBeSE wrote: »
    [
    iammumtoone- dont give yourself a hard time. Life gets in the way sometimes. For me, this isn't a rush, a 'must do it in 9 weeks' plan...it's just a 'get fitter and run a 5K' plan. Whether that takes me 9 weeks or 9 months, i don't really care. I just want to be able to run a 5K without stopping (or dying!).

thanks its not so much that missing sessions it will take longer to complete, I don't care if it takes me 18 weeks. Its more the fact I need to keep it regular otherwise I will tell myself if I haven't been out for so long then its not worth continuing and I don't want to do get to that stage as I am enjoying it.

Didn't manage to get out today to run but will go to beach for a long walk with ds later and I also thought about us both doing something indoors tonight. I have rebounder I might get it out and we can both run really fast on it and time each other, it will be fun, son will enjoy it and it means I will at least get a bit of running in so hopefully monday won't be as much of a shock, as last session i did was tuesday!
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    A week 7 day 2 fail today :(.

I'm beginning to think I just don't run well in the mornings, which is odd. I may also have started off too fast as my first circuit was 11 minutes instead of 12 last week. Oh, well tomorrow is another day!

Good luck to everyone running today.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Well I did it - week 5 day 3, I did get to almost 18 minutes then approached a hill, and decided to turn round and jog on the flag for the last two minutes as I had a feeling that attempting the hill would result in a fail and didn't want that, I have to say the first 15 minutes was ok - the last 5 horrendous but it's making me think I can do this (I've checked the distance and it was 3k covered in the running bit so over halfway)

Well done to all today (including Fletch because you still went out and did it even if you don't complete)
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »
    decided to turn round

I turn around all the time when I am out, not because of hills, there aren't any but due to people :o:o I f i see someone in front of me I will turn the other direction. I am too embarrassed to run past them as they might be walking quicker than I am running :rotfl: People heading towards me I don't mind that.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    A week 7 day 2 fail today :(.

Not a fail at least you managed to get out which is more than i have.

I certainly wouldn't class anything at wk7 a fail it is a massive achievement getting there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure