Baby steps towards mortgage freedom

Options

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AS long as you are in your workplace pensions, that is a good start.

But if only putting in 1-3%, i would look at more into that as well as overpaying. Too many mtg overpayers completely neglect pensions.

It is the early contributions that compound the most over time.
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    We are definitely guilty of that atm atush but it is something I want to look at soon..

Button still has alot of blistered pox which look sore but she has been pretty accepting of the whole episode really. She is covered in white dots now from the lotion. We went for our walk this morning and today will be NSD today so that is my third and probably final one of the week. Tomorrow I have hairdressers and sewing class so will be a spendy day although it is of course all budgeted for ;).

Mr Moomin is out at some networking thing tonight so me and the kids are having dinner with my mum and I am gonna have a long soak in the bath when the kids are in bed.

Have good days all x
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    Friday :j

Off to the haridressers in an hour and then as a thank you to Mum for babysitting while I'm gone I have promised her lunch at the garden centre up the road. Went to Munchkin's merit assembly this morning which was lovely and he looked so pleased with himself as his teacher told him how he always trys so hard - definitely a proud mamma moment!

Weather is back to rain so no walk for us today but as Button missed her morning nap she is already down for her midday one. The pox are now scabbing over and although she is looking peeky I am hoping she is over the worst.

Have great weekends all. I'm hoping by Monday I will be able to update my signature :)
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    Happy Monday all!

Weather here is awful so been stuck in all morning and according to my weather app we can expect more of the same for the rest of the week. We have the dentist this afternoon and then going to drop everyone else home and head to the gym - I managed one session last week so aiming for at least two this week.

Button is on the mend and the spots have started to clear up, she was very unsettled Saturday night but is looking brighter now. Munchkin has his class photo today so spent all morning telling me he had to "look handsome" :rotfl:.

Online banking hasn't updated yet so will have to leave updating signature until tomorrow but I shuffled some e-saving interest around so now we have £32.59 towards our next OP. My love of spreadsheeting came in handy this weekend thou as my brother and his girlfriend are buying their first house together so needed a budget and mortgage spreadsheet :D - sent mine across and a link to the MSE website for other useful info.

Fingers crossed I don't need anything more than a check up and quick scale and polish later!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Weather is awful here too. Have only done about 1/3 of my veg garden.

As a side note, I have trouble with NSD as we have a baguette with lunch/dinner at least 4/5 times a week. So someone has to pick one up as it needs to be freshly baked. At least it is only a quid or so.
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    I know what you mean atush my problem is I always end up picking up other things that I had no intention of buying so trying to limit trips to the shop to Monday and Friday during the week. On that note today is a NSD :T.

Weather is still miserable but managed a quick walk before the rain got going. Dentist went ok I have a hole in one of my wisdom teeth which either needs filled or the tooth extracting as there is not really room for it in my mouth :( - going to x-ray it again in 6 months and see how close the nerves in my jaw are to it before deciding. On the plus side I over-budgeted the cost of the trip so have a bit of spare cash which will either be used for holiday spending or OP'd just need to make up my mind.

Have also updated my signature and atm will be mortgage free in exactly 24 years so will be 52 - aiming first to get that to 50 but main aim is 40 - baby steps!!!

Hope everyone is having a good day :).
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    Oooh and I managed a gym visit last night after the dentist which was good and hopefully will be me back on track.
  • NSC-68
    NSC-68 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to say I've enjoyed reading your blog. I was reading this and a few others in the early days after my baby was born in October. It certainly got me through the night feeds when the little one was completely nocturnal! I have a relatively small mortgage, however, I can see us getting a larger house in the next few years so we will problably have to borrow double what we initially borrowed. Mortgage free by 40 would be amazing. That's 8years off for me and if we move I think it would be highly unlikely!
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    Hi NSC - thanks for stopping by. I don't miss those night feeds but I did get through a lot of diaries in the early weeks. Is this your first baby?

We are enjoying the sun again today and have manged a good walk. Looking forward to spending some time in the garden once Button is up from her nap. Chicken pox have pretty much all cleared now apart from the big ones, reckon she only has about 10 scabby ones now.

Munchkins ear test was yesterday which was all clear :T so we are very pleased with that and glad we had it checked out. Mr Moomin treated him to a McDs on the way home for concentrating so well during the audiology test and answering the doctors questions - Unfortunately I had to rush off to sewing class so no chicken nuggets for me although that was probably a good thing for my waist line ;).

I am up to £14 on YouGov but it is slow going. May have a look at some different survey sites in the meantime.

Hope all is good with everyone :)
  • Moominmamma89
    Options
    Friday :j

Mum is off to Ireland tonight so I am on dogsitting duty for the next few days - I miss having a dog so make sure I get my fix of furbaby cuddles on these weekends. Mr Moomin would rather like a dog now but I want Button to be at pre-school first.

Have to have a word with Munchkin's teacher at pick up today as he came home quite upset this week saying two of the other boys were calling him fat :mad:. Now I know that 5 year old's reporting of events can be a bit hazy sometimes and I so don't want to be "that parent" but I think we do need to get to the bottom of this one as he was so upset and kept trying to think of excuses not to go in today :(. I think I'm pretty calm and laid-back about kid's fall outs in general but this is something I won't tolerate.

On a lighter note I have no MSE news today and have only managed one NSD this week so far but there is always next week. I really need to sort through our stuff and get on with selling some of it but it is mostly baby stuff which I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with :o.

Hope everyone has a fab weekend (and sorry about the rant!) x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport