Anglian Windows taking mother in law for a ride

Options
My MIL is having ongoing issues with Anglian Home Improvements and I hope someone can offer some advice on where she might be able to get further help.

In a nutshell, the product and service since her first encounter 3 years ago has been appalling to the point of leaving my MIL in tears last night when the most recent fitter came out to repair his own damage, blamed her for the damage (to a second storey window) and went home mid-job with apparently no intention of returning. There are multiple issues with the failure of the original windows fitted, dangerous working practices, shoddy work and terrible attitude.

My other half is attempting to contact the local fitter for a resolution as my recently widowed MIL is now to distressed to deal with it. What I'd like to know is where does she stand legally in withholding any further payments from them until the work is completed satisfactorily? If we can't get a resolution Anglian have a complaints process and then there's the Glazing Federation but the problem really needs solving quickly, before the winter, not at the end of a 6 month bureaucracy marathon and although getting the work done is going to be challenging, I'm sure Anglian won't hesitate to forward their bill.

Does anyone have experience of forcing traders to correct their mistakes?

I can explain in more detail if needed but didn't want to waffle any more than was necessary! Thank you.

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    If a payment is due and being held onto here try calling the Companies head office and explaining the situation to them and stating that you will be with holding this final amount until the work is completed correctly and that you wish for a different fitter to resolve this issue forthwith.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had good service from Anglian. I was not expected to pay until the work was completed satisfactorily. When I had an issue later they were very prompt at resolving it.

What specific quality issues do you have?

I would suggest you escalate your complaint. Ultimately if you get no satisfaction, you may have to take them to court.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • beakysian
    Options
    If a payment is due and being held onto here try calling the Companies head office and explaining the situation to them and stating that you will be with holding this final amount until the work is completed correctly and that you wish for a different fitter to resolve this issue forthwith.

Thanks Stevie.
    missile wrote: »
    What specific quality issues do you have?

I would suggest you escalate your complaint. Ultimately if you get no satisfaction, you may have to take them to court.

Thanks missile. I'm hoping waving the phrases 'Consumer Rights' and 'Trading Standards' will do the trick before it comes to court. The initial work was completed to time and paid accordingly. Subsequently the windows have rusted and it seems they were contaminated with metal during manufacture and need replacing. Some of the joists which support the roof alongside the sash windows (I'm not a builder, I may have the wrong terms) have been replaced leaving a 6" gap, therefore not supporting the roof at all :mad: guttering has been patched with gaffer tape instead of being replaced as instructed and scaffolding has been erected leaned against the house, propped on flower beds and with ladders accessible to the public left unsecured at night. It's a horror story from top to bottom! If a resolution can't be found the complaint will certainly be escalated but payment won't be made until the work is complete so I wondered where this leaves my MIL.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dreadful situation but be wary about withholding payments without some legal advice, it can muddy the waters of a situation. Contracts have been signed and they commit both sides to certain actions. I think these companies sub-contract so you have been unlucky in who they've used. I think you will get a good outcome it is a big company and bad experiences really put people off.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    There is no quick, easy answer and if you believe just mentioning "Consumer Rights" and "Trading Standards" are magic cures then you are deluded. Anglian are notorious for bad workmanship and complaints are water off a ducks back to them. In a nutshell, Anglian have no interest in anything except taking your MIL for the maximum amount they can waggle out of her.

Get your strategy and tactics sorted and go into battle. Study the order, study the complaints procedure, write a letter notifying you are witholding payment, attach a list of defective items, and give Anglain 14 days to resolve matters. Take photos of all the problems - the guttering, the scaffold and so on and include this in your list.

You may be saying the work is on a finance plan, because three years with money outstanding otherwise sounds odd. If so, you need to sort out what notifications have to be done here. I would still be witholding payment having copied the finance company in on all correspondence.

Be realistic, and be prepared to put in effort. This has been going on for three years which shows Anglian do not give a monkeys about the situation. This in itself backs up my abysmal view of Anglian. Regardless, do not expect a quick resolution, because to do so would run counter to how Anglian operate.

Hope this helps.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2016 at 7:45AM
    Options
    http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/double-glazing/article/how-to-buy-double-glazing/your-rights-when-buying-double-glazing
    Some of the joists which support the roof alongside the sash windows (I'm not a builder, I may have the wrong terms) have been replaced leaving a 6" gap, therefore not supporting the roof at all

Council Building Control may be interested if the work has left the house in a dangerous state
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/double-glazing/article/how-to-buy-double-glazing/your-rights-when-buying-double-glazing

Council Building Control may be interested if the work has left the house in a dangerous state

A visit may be possible, but these folks are over worked and under manned. It is highly likely MIL never applied for Buildings Regulations, which is one reason for the problems still existing. So, assuming no payment has gone to this they are unlikely to do much to help.

The claimed lack of roof support really means a professional investigation, with a written report. This will cost, and also not be a quick answer. I say this because Anglian are likely to refuse to pay this cost, and also likely to contest it.

OP is looking for the quick easy solution. I would be engaging a professional, getting a written report, and going to battle with Anglian.
  • beakysian
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    You may be saying the work is on a finance plan, because three years with money outstanding otherwise sounds odd. If so, you need to sort out what notifications have to be done here. I would still be witholding payment having copied the finance company in on all correspondence.

Thanks Furts, I realise I perhaps wasn't clear. The original work was paid for as per the contract. The dispute is over the work to rectify problems that have since arisen for which payment will be due at the point of 'completion' (i.e. Anglian !!!!!! off again and we wait to see what other problems they have left!)
  • beakysian
    Options
    Thank you everyone. My other half has managed to get the local fitter on the phone (despite his best efforts at hiding behind his secretary :rotfl:)

Unluckily for the fitter, OH has broad experience of building projects, H&S etc and managed to outwit his best excuses, indicated he would have Building Control out, asked to see all risk assessment, liability docs and scaffold cards (none of which he seems to be in possession of :mad:) and has arranged to meet him on site to supervise the work and fixed a date to have it all verified by a surveyor "to ensure that MIL has maintained her side of the contract". I feel like I live with Dom from Cowboy Builders.

Thanks for all your advice, I hope he has had enough of a scare that it won't come to withholding payment.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    beakysian wrote: »
    Thanks Furts, I realise I perhaps wasn't clear. The original work was paid for as per the contract. The dispute is over the work to rectify problems that have since arisen for which payment will be due at the point of 'completion' (i.e. Anglian !!!!!! off again and we wait to see what other problems they have left!)

If these subsequent problems were a direct result of workmanship (or lack of) by the fitter, then I would be expecting Anglian to be footing the bill.

Be warned - AHI have a huge legal department and are well experienced in defending claims against them as well as pursuing withheld bills. In court, they are not aversed to stretching the truth and making questionable statements.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure