A path out of the Jumble

Options

Comments

• Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks for your lovely comments EB :) welcome to my diary. It's a perfect time for you to start one as we change seasons and move into Autumn. Let me know when you do start a diary and I'll pop over to say hello
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Good Afternoon Diary,

When I woke up this I was bitten by the tidying bug, I long to have an organised and tidy house. Yet I end up using the same stuffed to the brim drawers and cupboards everyday - it's driving me nuts!

My utility room is the worst - it's full of things yet to go to the Charity shop and things that need looking through. For the smallest room in the house, there's quite a bit in there! So this morning I rang the BHF and booked a collection for next Thursday, I've donated before and it's such a great way to de-clutter and contribute to a great cause.

I've made a list, as I love a good list :) then I'm going to work my way through organising each drawer, cupboard bad area left to do. Luckily some of the rooms have already been done.

Today I've....

Organised my sock and underwear drawers - no more hunting for tights for work
    Cleared out a box of personal papers and keepsakes
    Found my passport - which has been MIA since November 2014 :eek:
    Cleared all the stuff out of the bottom part of a Welsh dresser that's been languishing in my utility room for almost 3 years! I'm going to get my OH to help me take it outside, ready for collection.
    Moved the Christmas decorations and personal keepsakes boxes to the spare room
    Arranged an online valuation for some items at C@sh C@nverters
    Signed up for Eb@y and took some photos of items I'd like to sell

There's more to do but I'm happy with my progress, I still need to take it easy. I feel more positive already, I'd love to be able to easily find things when I want to. It's all a work in progress.

I hope you're all having a lovely day :)

Jumblerina
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Well done on all the decluttering and sorting out some bits to sell! I've got plans to do the same once I have some more time when my maternity leave starts :)
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks EB :) I love a good clear out, makes the house look bigger somehow! Congratulations - when do you go on maternity leave?

JB x
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Well done on the decluttering and for booking the BHF van and for looking at ways of selling stuff too. Sounds like you had a productive day :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks DIA :) I love a good de-clutter!
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Morning Diary,

I've decided to help me keep on track I'll do a weekly review of spending, NSD's etc. I'm busy keeping my spreadsheet updated which helped me so much last time, just catching yourself if needed and re-planning instead of overspending is the key.

So, this week hasn't been ideal as I'm still getting into the habit of budgeting- yet it's also an opportunity to learn.

Weekly Spending

Saturday 3 September
    Coffee & Muffins - £8.93
    Topped up my lottery account - £11.10

Sunday 4 September
    Attachment for my puppies lead £9.95

Monday 5 September
    Puppy Booster - £12.96
    Puppy worming tablets - £5.18
    Puppy dry skin shampoo - £11.99
    Puppy dry skin balm - £9.99
    Ab@l & Cole food order - £37.31

Tuesday 6 September
    Puppy nail file - £7.29
    Bus ticket to Doctors visit - £5.10
    Taxi fare due to wrong bus connection- £4.70
    Toiletries stock up - £8.32

Wednesday 7 September
    Loaf of bread - £1.10

Thursday 8 September
    Microwave steam bags - £5.32

Friday 9 September
    NSD!!!! :T

Total weekly spend: £139.24
    NSD 1/7
    Takeaways eaten 0/7
    Cupboards or drawers de-cluttered 12

Things that have gone well

We haven't had a takeaway all week - on our worst weeks, we could have them 3 times :eek:

Saved money by taking the bus instead of a taxi - this is a big thing for me as I have difficulty walking and I'm ill which makes things worse. There was a slight blip due to getting the wrong connection, but I'll forgive myself that as I'm not 100% at the moment.

House is feeling more organised, cupboards and drawers we use everyday are easy to use :)

Things I've learnt

I'd stopped playing the lottery but was seduced by a high jackpot, will need to learn from this as I don't want to spend any more money on the lottery!

There have been a fair few spends for our little puppy I didn't budget for this week - £57.36 in total! We've only had him for 2 months, so whilst I've got his food, pet insurance and vet plan costs budgeted. I also need to think about how much his regular health checks, flea and work treatments will cost. Plus any costs for things we might need to buy as he grows such as a new lead, bed etc.

What I'll be doing differently next week

I'm aiming for 3 NSD's to help me think twice about anything I spend
    Have done a meal plan, with all the food we need in the house the temptation to eat out is less
    Continuing with my de-clutter plan to be ready for the BHF collection on Thursday

Hope you all have a fab Friday and a wonderful weekend :D

Jumblerina
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Jumblerina wrote: »
    Thanks EB :) I love a good clear out, makes the house look bigger somehow! Congratulations - when do you go on maternity leave?

JB x

20th of September, though my MAT leave will start 23rd of October. I'm using up annual leave I've not used throughout the year to finish at 34 weeks. I have a very hectic job, where I'm on my feet and rushing around a lot and I just can't hack it now! :rotfl:

I really like your weekly round up, that's a fab idea! I'm hoping to start a diary this weekend to help me keep track, and something like this might be really useful.
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Lauralozzle
    Options
    Your weekly round-up is a great idea!! Well done in the NSD and no takeaways!!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Not long to go now EB :) you must be so excited - I don't blame you, I'm tired just reading how busy your job is! Perfect opportunity to put your feet up and start your diary, send me a link and I'll come say hello
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure