Ebay seller saying car has mot but not showing on dvla

Options
I've been looking on ebay to buy a car and i've found one not to far from me but I think the seller is lying about the description as they said the car has just had a full service with new tyres and a mot. I've checked the mot online and it's showing the mot expires this year so I've contacted the seller and now they are saying the car has been to a garage to have new spark plugs / air filter and mot, the tyres was changed yesterday. So if the car has had a new mot would it have shown up on dvla.

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So if the car has had a new mot would it have shown up on dvla.
    Yes. Pretty near instantly.
    https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I had my car MOT'd this week. By the time I got home from the garage, it was updated on the DVLA website.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • PinkGladioli
    Options
    Do the older MOTs show up or none at all? I think sometimes if s car has been on a private plate it can mean nothing comes up.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do the older MOTs show up or none at all? I think sometimes if s car has been on a private plate it can mean nothing comes up.
    Plate changes can break things, and NI MOTs are completely separate, but - those exceptions apart - all MOTs since computerisation (around 2005) are shown.
  • NewUserHere
    Options
    Quite simple really... See the car and mot certificate in person.

To accuse the seller of lying is outrageous! :T:T
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options

To accuse the seller of lying is outrageous! :T:T

Have you got your jag back yet?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

That would be a very foolish thing to do seeing as the printed "certificate" hasn't been proof of having an MOT since about 2007. The ONLY proof of MOT now is the computer record, so if it's not showing on that then legally it doesn't have one.

9+ years really should be long enough for people to know that by now!
  • NewUserHere
    Options
    Fat_Walt wrote: »
    Have you got your jag back yet?

Well done you have something called memory
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    That would be a very foolish thing to do seeing as the printed "certificate" hasn't been proof of having an MOT since about 2007. The ONLY proof of MOT now is the computer record, so if it's not showing on that then legally it doesn't have one.

9+ years really should be long enough for people to know that by now!

Because clearly the 'system' is fool proof! And you knew it's perfect because you checked your own mot once.

An mot sheet will have mot number, testing station, tester etc on it. Thus easily verifiable with a quick phone call to the listed station.

Your comments are naive, also because of the systems down testing stations obtain a number valid for that day which they write on paperwork in cases where the systems are down - which was quite often at one point!
    So are you saying a testing station who give you contingency paperwork are sending you on your way without an MOT? NO they are not. The car has a valid mot but won't be on the system until a later time.

Geeze some people
  • NewUserHere
    Options
    Op careful what you read from posters around here... Most of them make things up as they go along
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Op careful what you read from posters around here... Most of them make things up as they go along

Some do, like this one above!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure