Fed up with charities cold-calling? New Fundraising Preference Service will let you o

edited 25 August 2016 at 4:53PM in Charities
12 replies 5.8K views
Former_MSE_FayeFormer_MSE_Faye Former MSE
147 Posts
edited 25 August 2016 at 4:53PM in Charities
From 2017 you'll be able to opt out of most fundraising calls, emails, texts and post with the click of a button...
Read the full story:
'Fed up with charities cold-calling? New Fundraising Preference Service will let you opt out from next year'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Replies

• unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So we are going to have a third preference service that doesn't really work.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is not a charity that continually calls but the scam calling themselves 'talk talk technical department.' and similar.

Frustrating that no one can stop these overseas calls! which always come at an inconvenient moment........
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I very rarely get calls from charities these days.

First, if a donation form has a box for a phone number, I never fill it in.

Second, if a charity looks up my number and calls me, I make it abundantly clear that I'm not interested in what they have to say. Their sales pitch always involves telling you about what wonderful things their charity does, before asking for money. If you don't even let them get through that initial sales pitch, then they are stuck.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • upoiupouupoiupou Forumite
    136 Posts
    I thought the telephone preference service covered this already?

Being on the TPS I never get cold called by charities, or other UK salespeeps.

I do sometimes get calls from Microsoft, which is really nice of Microsoft to check everything's OK with my computer. ;)
  • scotsbobscotsbob Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    The answer to all this is so simple, make cold calling illegal.

Then penalise the companies who instigate the calls. That prevents companies passing the buck and blaming their overseas call centres.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just try and be as obtuse as I can when I pick up the phone to cold callers.
    It's almost a game to see whether they get bored and hang up.
  • JDPowerJDPower Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else see this as a major issue???

"However you won't be able to sign up vulnerable friends or relatives, even if they are receiving lots of fundraising calls, unless you have power of attorney"
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and no ...

It seems like a limitation, but it's not an unreasonable one - you may feel that it's in someone's best interests to sign them up for this, but they may disagree.

Having said that, who's going to know? I didn't have power of attorney, but had Mum's permission to use her email address to unsubscribe from anything she no longer wanted to receive. If she'd been troubled by phone calls, I'd have used her phone to register for this. And so on.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • JDPowerJDPower Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Yes and no ...

It seems like a limitation, but it's not an unreasonable one - you may feel that it's in someone's best interests to sign them up for this, but they may disagree.

Having said that, who's going to know? I didn't have power of attorney, but had Mum's permission to use her email address to unsubscribe from anything she no longer wanted to receive. If she'd been troubled by phone calls, I'd have used her phone to register for this. And so on.
    I get the "who would know" point (if that is part of TPS I have definitely broken that rule lol), it just seems ridiculous to put that in there when they are the people most likely to need it, and least likely to know how to.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDPower wrote: »
    I get the "who would know" point (if that is part of TPS I have definitely broken that rule lol), it just seems ridiculous to put that in there when they are the people most likely to need it, and least likely to know how to.
    Not disagreeing, but I don't see how they can NOT say it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides