PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• purpleybat
    Options
    do metro bank charge for changing coin to notes if you're not a customer? I was told ages ago they don't but don't know about now
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A few weeks ago I had a car crash and wrote off My car. I'm ok just a bit of whiplash.

Anyway I have decided not to replace my car just yet but to see how I go. I live with my son, a good central location with lots of good public transport and we are trying car sharing. I have a free bus pass, a senior railcard and a taxi into town is about £5 if I'm feeling lazy.

I reckon that I can save a small fortune. Anyway I'm going to see how it goes. I can always change my mind if I miss having my own car.

So for now my son and I do a "big shop" at Aldis roughly every three weeks. The rest of the time I shop locally - "like a Frenchwoman";) - buying milk and fresh produce as and when I need it.

I have definitely saved money both by not running a car but also by shopping differently. When I had the car it was just too easy to call into to a supermarket and load up the trolley. Now I have to think and plan.

I'm spending less and I'm even walking more. :rotfl:
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2016 at 5:42PM
    Options
    Just as well LL not to replace the car yet. From what I recall = you live in a city.

I couldnt/cant understand why most people back in my Home City seemed to be so intent on having a car - considering what the public transport there is like. It was really only Sundays and Bank Holidays (where it was less frequent) or if someone wanted a "pleasure outing" to some countryside not accessible by bus that I could actually see any need for anyone doing so.

Add a pensioners buspass on top of that and the freedom to go out weekdays - so it wouldnt matter that it was more restricted on a Sunday then all the more so. It's a nuisance on a Sunday not having any buses - but I basically work around the fact that Welsh Sundays (at least in the sticks) are so quiet - and designate that as a day when I do things like housework/general catching-up/etc if there's nothing going on a taxi distance away. For shorter distances - taxi it is for Sundays.

It's harder where I am now (ie much worse public transport) - but finances dictate I can't afford a car. So I bought my house a walking distance from the more "local" facilities I require and bus stops to bigger towns. So - I'm "back of beyond" - but not "back of back of" so to say and it's still possible to manage without a car.
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    purpleybat wrote: »
    do metro bank charge for changing coin to notes if you're not a customer? I was told ages ago they don't but don't know about now

No, they don't. They have a coin counting machine which produces a receipt which you can exchange for cash. Plus (if you can stand the excitement!) you can claim a prize if you guess the amount within £1. (We have quite a collection of spectacle cloths now!) I'm not sure that I would have the chutzpah to claim one of these if I didn't have an account with them, though.

However, the machines aren't always 100% accurate. There was an article in the FT about this, though when they tested machines in several branches most of the errors were in the customer's favour. (The reverse had been the case for equivalent machines in the USA.) The article is here http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/06/02/2164179/the-metro-bank-coin-caper/
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I dont understand how anyone living in London feels that they need a car for everyday travel......my daughter in Highbury is in some kind of "club" whereby to pay a contribution and can then rent a car whenever you like....I think that its a great idea.....havent a clue what costs.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in a big city and neither my OH or I drive. We manage absolutely fine without a car. Yes it would be convenient, but I would hate to become one of those people who drives to the corner shop five minutes by foot away. If somewhere is less than 45 minutes walking distance away then I will only get public transport if I am running late or if the weather is awful. There is a bus that goes to all the places i need to get to and it practically stops outside my house so I couldn't ask for better options.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 September 2016 at 7:08AM
    Options
    meanmarie wrote: »
    I dont understand how anyone living in London feels that they need a car for everyday travel......my daughter in Highbury is in some kind of "club" whereby to pay a contribution and can then rent a car whenever you like....I think that its a great idea.....havent a clue what costs.

Marie
    Probably Zipcar or Enterprise.

When I wrote my car off many years ago I went without for 2 years. Living close to good public transport links helped, as did a generous brother who lived close by and gave me free reign of his vehicle. Even if he had not, the cab costs would have mounted to far less than the annual running costs of a vehicle.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • purpleybat
    Options
    greyfox wrote: »
    No, they don't. They have a coin counting machine which produces a receipt which you can exchange for cash. Plus (if you can stand the excitement!) you can claim a prize if you guess the amount within £1. (We have quite a collection of spectacle cloths now!) I'm not sure that I would have the chutzpah to claim one of these if I didn't have an account with them, though.

However, the machines aren't always 100% accurate. There was an article in the FT about this, though when they tested machines in several branches most of the errors were in the customer's favour. (The reverse had been the case for equivalent machines in the USA.) The article is here http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/06/02/2164179/the-metro-bank-coin-caper/

so I'm probably wise totting up my coins before I go? do you know if I can complain if its wrong? I don't like them keeping £5 of my hard saved cash but I can see it'd be really hard to prove.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    edited 7 September 2016 at 7:06AM
    Options
    Morning Everyone. Welcome to all newcomers.

I had an NSD yesterday and hopefully another one today.

purbleybat - When I exchange my change, it is for euros to go on holiday with and I am lucky enough to have a large T's which also has an exchange bureau in it so we just bag up the money into the correct change bags and do a direct swap.
    I would anyone to take a percentage of my hard saved change. I would rather bag the change up and take it too the Building Society I am in. All the coin machines locally I am sure used to charge for changing your small change into cash.

I do not drive - I have passed my test but never owned my own car. My OH drives as he it needs a car for work. I can walk to work and walk to the shops etc.

Have a good day.

£2 savers Club No 96 Total £4
    5p savers Club No 1 Total 50p
    50p savers Club No 13 Total £2.50
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 September 2016 at 9:02AM
    Options
    We live in London. When my twins were 12 years old, our car, same age as them, broke down irreparably. At the time we were trying to live in an environmentally sensitive way but the car was our last bastion! We decided to put our money where our mouth was and not replace it, much to the kids' disgust LOL.

We lived happily car free for 12 years, using public transport wherever we went, only a handful of times renting a car, we were also members of zipcar but hardly used it at all so after a few years we dropped the membership.

Three and half years ago in synchronicity, DH's aunt in the north of England fell severely ill and he needed to visit her frequently, and I spotted a for sale sign on a Clio just around the corner, one careful lady owner, low mileage, very reasonable price. We bought it thinking of selling it on after the inevitable, and DH visited his dear auntie several times until she passed away.

As it happens, after careful reflection, we decided to keep the car, as it was really in good nick, very economical to run and tax. DS took his driving licence in it and I took a couple of free lessons from the AA (community lessons for older women returning to drive, brilliant) and started driving again.

Because of DH's job in transportation both of us have had a free London Oyster card, so we used the car very sparingly, but now DH is retiring due to ill health and soon this facility will be withdrawn. He is ok as over 60 and can get free travel, but I still have nearly a year to go to reach the magic age, so the car will be handy and probably will be used a bit more, also due to my hip arthritis that prevents me from walking long distances as I used to.

In conclusion: yes you can live really well without a car in London, but when you reach a certain age, a small and economical car, used sensibly, can be a real asset, can save you money and time and is handy for holidays and (God forbid) emergencies.

I will start posting more regularly on the OS threads again, in general, because now that we have to live on a pension instead of a salary, and I don't work other than a bit of babysitting, we really need to tighten the budget like never before!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure