PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    edited 12 September 2016 at 6:30AM
    Options
    Morning Everyone,

A warm welcome to any newcomers to this thread.

Thank you Frugal_life for suggesting the 99p tin from the card Factory.
    The Terramundi pot is still usable it has a circle cut out at the bottom now and a plastic bit to plug it up. I use this pot for collecting my £2 coins for the challenge here on mse.
    I have a very large bottle from a pub which I use for the 50p and 5p challenges mse.

Yesterday was an NSD although it very nearly was not one about 6.30 pm I really craved a chocolate bar - my hubby did offer to go out and get one - but I said no the craving will pass soon as that means spending money and a chocolate contains roughly 22 grams of fat . Instead I had a cracker and watched the X-factor.

Spending day today though. Small bit of shopping to do. Also I will send another postcard via my postcrossing hobby to the Czech Republic.

Have a good Monday.

£2 savers Club No 96 Total £4
    5p savers Club No 1 Total 60p
    50p savers Club No 13 Total £2.50
    Make £10 a day challenge £15.80
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ILC if you get a craving like that again ,clean your teeth, and the craving will go :):):)toothpaste is a good fix for unhealthy and expensive cravings :):):):) That goes for food as well
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Suddenly the conduct of a colleague, diving off into the ladies with a modest washbag (and there brushing her teeth) makes sense. I'd thought she might have some embarrassing medical issue.

I don't think toothpaste will help the the craving to sink my mental teeth into anther good book though, but I can't see my dentist disapproving if I give it a try! Just Aldi toothpaste, not the superglam whitening unguent my husband claims to require at almost £4 a tube...

I've discovered Husband 'saves' the small change by deliberately leaving it on the floor where a son can see & 'rescue' it. Son has over £70 bagged to go to the bank, but has agreed to keep £20 in cash in the house "in case anyone needs a loan"... (I reckon this is only MS if he doesn't charge us interest, but that doesn't reward the lad's careful ways.)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    ILC if you get a craving like that again ,clean your teeth, and the craving will go :):):)toothpaste is a good fix for unhealthy and expensive cravings :):):):) That goes for food as well
    Teeth brushing is under-rated as a small boost. Having clean teeth makes me feel alert and happy :)

One of my favourite quotes:

7f8ad71333b087cfb88c62cc4681f34e.jpg
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I_Love_comps
    edited 13 September 2016 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Morning Everyone,

JackieODigforvictoryand VfM4meplse

Thanks for all the tips about the toothpaste.
    So every time now I see someone with lovely white clean teeth, I with be left wondering if they have paid a lot of money to achieve it, or have had a lot of urges to eat food and have cleaned there a lot.

DigforvictoryI would expect a gold plated tube of toothpaste for £4 - does your OH's teeth wonderful?. I buy a decent brand in T's for about 85p.

Had to spend money yesterday in T's but kept it to a minimum. I had some change for my challenges on here.
    Spending again today as I am going out with a friend this evening. Just going for a curry locally, I looking for to it as we have not met up for some time.

Have a good day:j:j

£2 savers Club No 96 Total £8
    5p savers Club No 1 Total 75p
    50p savers Club No 13 Total £2.50
    Make £10 a day challenge No 41 £15.80
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Options
    Morning Everyone,

I cannot tell what the weather will be like as it is very foggy/misty.

Did not get on yesterday. I had a lovely catch up with my friend on Tuesday evening, we went for a curry.
    Yesterday I booked our Christmas Day meal at a pub we go too - there are four of us - my OH, my mom, my daughter and myself.
    You have to book early - I enjoy the atmosphere there on Christmas Day and afterwards we all go and spend time at my Mom's. My daughter does not what her shifts will be over Christmas (she is a nurse) but we always only pay the deposit , just in case plans change.
    Came home from doing the booking and I caught up with 'Holby City'.

Today will be shopping at Al. Our local one is very small - and personally I could not do a full shop there. I am waiting for the new Lidl to open which looks bigger and the same distance travelling wise - remember when looking for bargains -always factor in things like the cost of petrol and the parking fees.
    I have only made 10p from one survey yesterday.
    Have a good day all.

£2 savers Club No 96 Total £8
    5p savers Club No 1 Total 75p
    50p savers Club No 13 Total £3.00
    Make £10 a day challenge No 41 £15.90

My Challenges

• Living_proof
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »

I will try that next time I crave gel nails and a hairdo!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening all

Re cars - where I now live there is a very good bus service - literally 5 mins from my door - one of the main reasons for moving here. However, i shall still keep my car and use it because a) my friend lives in a village where there is only a bus service at 8.30 (leaves village) and 5.30 (leaves nearest town for the village) b) I need to be able to get to my son and granddaughter and the train fare is £30 dearer than the petrol c) help son to buy in bulk and to transport stuff c) to go to poetry evenings where there is no bus service home!
    My car is an old banger but I am not polluting the earth by digging up more aluminum - one of the most polluting practices on the planet.

VfM4meplse - I love that poster!! Brilliant!! some days when the arthritis plays up and I dont want to get outa bed I shall think of that! Thank you!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • I_Love_comps
    Options
    Morning Everyone,

I hope today will be a no spend day. Went to Aldi on Thursday and I was really glad they still had broccoli at 39 p. Some weeks for some reason it suddenly the price shoots up to 79 p.
    The old garden shed is coming down today - my OH has a got a friend coming to help him-I have no clue what they will find underneath the shed as it was in when we moved here - The space where the shed was OH is going to put slabs down , so next Summer we use it as a patio area.
    Have a good weekend all

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

My Challenges

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 September 2016 at 10:06AM
    Options
    Good morning all.

It's funny isn't it but I do find some things are worth paying a bit more for. In this house we have found that toothpaste is definitely the case where it's worth investing.

I have very sensitive teeth and have tried every brand. Only sensodyne works for me so I just stock up when it's on offer.

Re the whitening toothpaste. My son has teeth which discolour very easily. He even had them whitened at the dentists once. £100 on offer. I treated him for his 21st birthday.

Over the years we tried lots of brands, even the DIY version of just using bicarbonate of soda which works pretty well for most people but did nothing for him. Nothing ever worked and his teeth just looked stained and dirty.

In the end I bought the Arm and Hammer one (It was on offer) . The results were astonishing, he's even been asked if he's had his teeth professionally whitened.

I think the full price was about £4 so I shall have to try and watch out for offers. But even at £4 it gave such good results that I do think it is worth it.

Tbh we don't spend a lot on toiletries and cleaning materials etc so I don't mind paying a bit extra for pain feee teeth for me and whiter teeth for my son.:rotfl:

Still managing with one car although I have to say I do miss the spontaneity of having my own. Everything has to be planned. Its early days yet so I will persevere and see how I go. Today I have use of the car so will do all my running around and will call in Aldis for a stock up.

Tbh I haven't really tried the buses yet because I dont want to risk being jolted too much because of my whiplash injuries. I still feel quite fragile and my neck is still quite sore. So realistically I haven't really given it a proper chance yet.

On the odd occasion when I have used a taxi it has been bliss to just sit back and be "chauffeured" and not worry about finding a parking spqce.

Like the sound of the new patio area. That's on our list for next year.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport