PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know, it's not for everyone, if you are not too bothered about the "Eco" bit and short of time, or squeamish, now that sanitary disposables are so cheap, it's tempting to not bother. I did not do it regularly all the time, especially when I worked, but found them a gentler alternative when I had more time. As always, each to their own, we are all different!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning :j:j:j:j

No NSD days as yet unless nothing went out of my bank account on Saturday.
    I ordered some trousers from Bon Marche for £16 reduced from £26 yesterday, and I also joined there Diamond Club which costs £10 a year, but you get free P+P for 12 months , I also am getting a gift for joining, there are other benefits , but I am not going to look at those too much as they will only encourage me to spend more money. I needed the trousers as they are a warmer material for the Winter months, and I work outside - my other few pairs are starting to wear out , but I will repair them to make them last a bit longer. Also one pair has faded but these will not be thrown they will be used as pyjama bottoms.
    I will only need to order a few items from them and I will have got my fee money back, as I pay £4 bus fare to go and buy the items . In my older years shopping and spending money is not as exciting as when I was younger.
    Have a good Tuesday :T:T:T
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• I_Love_comps
    Options
    Just got back from Tesco's and I have bought Ultimate Blends Shampoo two for £4 instead of £3 for one. Bottle is 400 mls.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Options
    Morning :j:j:j
    I hate to say this but I am really looking forward to going shopping tonight- The new Lidl by where I live has just opened and is bigger then the Aldi by us. OH has a dental appt at 3 so will be home earlier , so we can leave earlier.
    Years ago I would have been looking forward to a new fashion shop opening - now it is supermarkets - well that is where we spend a good majority of our time and money. Well we have to eat - but you do not need many clothes in later life.

Have a good Thursday everyone.

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,
    Well my thrifty ways are not very thrifty at the moment, what with a few bills and I have sponsored my daughter as she is running in a half marathon tomorrow, which we are going to watch, so we will be having breakfast tomorrow morning in a pub.
    When spending in shops the change I am getting is not the change I am saving either.
    Have a good weekend everyone.

My Challenges

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Vfm can I ask about the liners during your teens? Did it help you with regard to embarrassment due to discharge? My 12 year old is a little concerned about it but it's something I was never introduced to and have never used even as an adult. Worth a go for her?

I think they're worth it. It's a comfort thing for me.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • I_Love_comps
    Options
    Morning Everyone,
    Another way I reduce my shopping bill is to buy reduced food at the supermarkets - I love being able to pick up a bargain this way. Yesterday I bought ;
    Reduced bread - straight for use (sometimes will freeze though)
    Fishcakes (for tea tonight)
    Roast veg tray (tea tonight)
    Two Microwave Meals( tea Tues and Thurs evenings)

These are usually decent brands, which I normally would not buy at full price, so it is a treat to have a different taste. After all years ago there were no sell by or use by dates on foods.

We tried the new Lid* by us this week, I noticed they reduce there nearly out of date food by 30% , which I have never seen at Ald*.

No NSD days for me. In my change though I have had some to put in my saving pots challenges.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.

My Challenges

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Just made an ongoing barter arrangement - a friend lets me have free run of her orchard to pick apples for myself and I use my dehydrator to pick and dry some extra apples for her (as she doesnt have the facility to dry any to keep for herself). That will help - as I don't have a big enough garden to grow as many apples as I wish for myself and by the time the "bugs" have had some (courtesy of me being an organic gardener obviously....) then that's less for me.

Win....win.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I still have my washable ST's. I made mine with fleece for the outside and wings. They have press studs on the wing so they stay in place.
    The first batch, I made of white fleece and they did stain after a while. The last batch I made in dark blue and they were a lot less eye catching on my washing line. They are very useful now if I am exercising with the jump rope as that can tend to cause leaks of another sort.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ..and it would be good to know if anyone else has any barter arrangements worked out with friends/neighbours/etc similar to my apple one please:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure