PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Still pretty warm here in Kent so no heating going on just yet I have a nice blanket to go over my knees if it gets nippy in the evening and I just put an thicker cardi on.I also have some really warm slipper boots that my DGS bought me a couple of years ago which I dig out if I need to.I try to keep the heating off as long as possible that gives me room to switch it on as and when necessary when it really gets nippy. Hot water bottle for my toes if needed. My house is very well insulated and if anything it gets too warm so I only switch the heating on as and when I need to, an hour in the evening soon warms the place up.

I don't like it too hot anyway and I am a great believer in a bit of fresh air in the bedroom at night and only close the window if its really cold
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't forget Caterina - not having to keep sanitary supplies in any longer. That used to get my goat having to pay for a medical necessity like that - and it added insult to injury even being taxed (ie VAT) on it. Just had a quick check - and I think that must have been around £10 or so a month of my money going out on medical bills basically in that direction...
    How on earth? I calculate my needs to be no more than £2/month! That's less than the price of a cup of coffee out.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening all

An NSD here as I have been painting fences!! Thrifty as I doing these myself - also gets me in some exercise up and down the ladder :D

Grumpmum - yep on line shopping in general is one of the big problems we face - it is all too easy to think - 'that's nice' and then they hit you with ' easy payment terms'. I can fall victim to this so I try very hard not to buy anything on line - not even to go to the sites !!! Thereby NSDing for real. I dont have too much of a problem with them (have just bought shoes from Ecc! but that is the first thing I have bought for me in ages and are a necessity).However some of my friends have real issues with buying far too much. Thriftier to keep away from sites designed to part you from your pennies!

VfM4meplse - I think such products have got relatively cheaper. I certainly used to spend at least £6 ish per month but then I had heavy periods and many women do. No sympathy from doctors whom I went to cos I was in agony each month - but then they were male and never had them did they??? Think the human race would have died out if they did :rotfl:

Never found a way to save money there except for shopping around for supplies.

Re heating am sitting here with sofa blanket on me lap + lap top which generates heat so that is being thrifty :rotfl:

Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning :j
    No NSD for me today as I have a bill to pay.
    On the subject of sanitary ware I probably pay about £4 a month plus the cost of painkillers and prescribed drugs -as I have heavy ones - I am in my early 50's so hopefully soon they will stop and will not reek havoc with my social life and also I may start to feel normal again and regain some of my lost energy.
    Washing dried yesterday out on the line and it was a lovely day here.
    Happy Wednesday everyone one:j:j:j:j
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2016 at 7:52AM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    How on earth? I calculate my needs to be no more than £2/month! That's less than the price of a cup of coffee out.

Because I had period problems. Too long, too heavy, you name it and it went on for years! I was having the dearest type there was (with the odd bit of back-up from pantyliners/san. towels) and still having to "change" very frequently (ie in order to avoid possible embarrassment).

I remember at the time thinking "I'm sure this must be costing me quite a bit more than other women":(

Hence being extremely glad all round when that all stopped. I'd had a d & c (which was supposed to deal with it I was told - but it didn't). I'd been recommended to have a hysterectomy (for the fibroids they said were causing this) - so read a book about womens experiences of that and promptly decided there was no chance of me doing that (the odds were far too high of that causing me problems as a result of the operation) and I'd just "wait it out" for Nature to deal with it at around 52. At 52 on the dot Nature had "dealt with it".

I guess if I'd been prepared to do any other job than a pretty conventional standard office job (which I wasn't....) then things might have been different if I'd had a type of job whereby I couldnt head for the loo the second I decided to - ie I might have felt pressured by the employer into having the op. I myself had decided I wasnt having. That was one of my reasons for being so "fixed" on sticking to that type of job.

I made the right decision imo.

EDIT; I love Comps - you haven't got much longer to go now. Keep your pecker up. Mother Nature will deal with that for you any minute now.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I remember at the time thinking "I'm sure this must be costing me quite a bit more than other women":(
    Bless you, it sounds like you have had a really hard time. Also I can see how times have changed.

Tampons cost 85p/20 in Aldi and Lidl, I don't even get through a box a month. Daily stuff (not everyone uses this, but for me it's a habit I developed in my teens) I buy in bulk, usually at 3p per day or less - so less than £2 every 30 days in all.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Well you have too wait for 12 months 'without' before I can say I am free of the 'terrors'. I fully intend not be thrifty and buy a bottle of champagne to celebrate - I have only managed 3 months free so far, I am not 53 until next May.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Well you have too wait for 12 months 'without' before I can say I am free of the 'terrors'. I fully intend not be thrifty and buy a bottle of champagne to celebrate - I have only managed 3 months free so far, I am not 53 until next May.

Absolutely:beer:

Now thinking - "Now why didnt I buy a bottle of champagne then? Duh!"

Oh well - never mind - I'll leave you to raise a glass on my behalf at the time:)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Vfm can I ask about the liners during your teens? Did it help you with regard to embarrassment due to discharge? My 12 year old is a little concerned about it but it's something I was never introduced to and have never used even as an adult. Worth a go for her?
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Morning All
    Yep, I was 53 when they started to stop - now at 57 I have had a couple of free years :j and lovin it!!!

However, going through 'the change' was not a pleasant experience for me either and am just so glad that all those troubles (unexpected floods - embarrassing explaining why i needed to pop home to unsympathetic male boss; hot flushes - think beetroot; smelling of onions - honestly; feeling down - thank goodness for natural sources that can stimulate seratonin - sunshine, exercise and chocolate.

But once its done with - freeeeeedom!! :j :j

At least you know the freedom is in sight! (And less spending)Chin up!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure