PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Well the heating went on yesterday afternoon. I did my dust them all thoroughly before turning them on for the Winter ahead. As is every year we are supposed to be heading for terrible Snow again.
    I feel very proud of myself - I was looking at a advent calendar for myself as I just wanted to treat myself - but just before I was going to order it I looked and everything in it and there two items I would not use - If I buy one I want too enjoy each days gift.
    Nice and Sunny here but cold - my washing machine is on and then the washing will be going on the line.
    Have a good Sunday:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I have no doubt! I'll still try to hold off for as long as possible, if I can do without until 25th I will consider myself positively Spartan!
    Well the heating went on yesterday afternoon.
    It has turned a lot cooler now (although still not cold for the time of year). Yesterday evening I was at my nearest and dearest's, and despite what I said yesterday about holding out until wk 4 I asked for the heating to be turned on. I blame the high ceilings :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    We've been good so far, heating not on as yet which is a miracle considering I and DH feel the cold very quickly - me because that is the way I am but with DH, it is linked to his condition.

Sunday was a good day for washing on the line as is today. It feels warmer outside rather than in the office.

Have a good rest of the day all.

SIL
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's still quite warm for us during the day here but the minute the sun goes it's getting chillier. I'm enjoying the pile on or off the layers in the evening and we still have the summer down duvet on the bed with the shearling blanket to be pulled up on cold early mornings.

Sofa blankets are out now too, much better than putting the heating on before bed. I've also looked out the hot water bottles just in case.

Thankfully for the menopause the heating still isn't on! Is this the only plus of the menopause?
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Lovely sunny weather today. My washing is on the line. My heating is only on just to warm the house up as it clicks off when it reaches a certain temperature.

Have a good afternoon all.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    It's still quite warm for us during the day here but the minute the sun goes it's getting chillier. I'm enjoying the pile on or off the layers in the evening and we still have the summer down duvet on the bed with the shearling blanket to be pulled up on cold early mornings.

Sofa blankets are out now too, much better than putting the heating on before bed. I've also looked out the hot water bottles just in case.

Thankfully for the menopause the heating still isn't on! Is this the only plus of the menopause?

Yes:rotfl:
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    We also have two summer duvets on our bed at the moment and the sofa blankets never get out away even in the height of summer. It works for us, as we don't have a lot of storage.
    Have a good rest of the evening all!

SIL
  • Grumpmum
    Grumpmum Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    It's still quite warm in East Anglia too, but not warm enough to dry the washing properly on the line. Have been thinking about NSD's and have realised those 'cheap eBay bargains' have negated any good I have done by avoiding shops! So my money saving goal is to stay off eBay!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    katkin wrote: »

No, you also no longer need contraceptives, stop giving a fig about speaking your mind and pleasing everybody around you! Sex gets better because of more testosterone, you feel freer than you have ever been in your life, the testosterone also helps with increased assertiveness, you no longer "sweat the small stuff"...I could go on, these are only a few of the positive effects of women being in mid-life. Any of them might or might not affect you. Don't let the menopause come between you and a good life! :)
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2016 at 6:47AM
    Options
    Don't forget Caterina - not having to keep sanitary supplies in any longer. That used to get my goat having to pay for a medical necessity like that - and it added insult to injury even being taxed (ie VAT) on it. Just had a quick check - and I think that must have been around £10 or so a month of my money going out on medical bills basically in that direction....(and that doesn't include incidental normal costs - extra loopaper/detergent/etc/etc).

So glad all that is at an end....whew..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport