PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Vfm can I ask about the liners during your teens? Did it help you with regard to embarrassment due to discharge? My 12 year old is a little concerned about it but it's something I was never introduced to and have never used even as an adult. Worth a go for her?

My motives were a little different, it co-incided with getting my first boyfriend and believing the stupid myth that women should smell as fresh as a daisy! So the first ones I bought were the Carefree individually wrapped and perfumed, a complete waste of packaging of course so although I still opt for the fragranced ones I'm happy to buy the big boxes without the unnecessary plastic. If nothing else you get a nice whiff every time you open you knicker drawer! Strangely enough, my Mum who is a sensible spender adopted the habit from me. My sister - the ultimate miser - has never shown the slightest interest though.

There's no point in wasting money if its not necessary but might help DD feel like growing up is a little more pleasant! For me its an everyday luxury, like make-up or perfume.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning :j:j:j

Well still no NSD's for me hopefully today. Had to pay the water rates yesterday. I always pay mine in the co-op.
    I had a look around for any bargains and bought there frozen meal deal for £5 - Pizza(goodfellas) , 2 garlic baguettes, goujons, potato wedges, and some Hagan Daz ice cream . I thought this was a good bargain.
    They also do a fridge/chilled deal but they did not have one item in stock, so I gave this one a miss.

Heating is on , but only to take the chill off the house.
    Have a good Thursday.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Ilovecomps - saw your comment re paying water rates in the Co-op. Had you thought of setting them up to be paid on direct debit?

Must admit I've got all bills possible on monthly direct debit - then I don't have to worry about physically making the effort to pay them. I basically started doing that back one time where I was ill for several weeks at a time and wondering how I was supposed to "get out and about" and pay those bills. These days - I just have the tv licence, house insurance and yearly gas service as one-off bills I pay at the time - so that's just 3 a year to concern myself with.

That's also got the advantage of being readily able to see what money I've actually got available to spend as I decide. With my income basically coming in two parts - then my work pension comes in monthly and the bills come out of that and my State pension comes in weekly and I do "week to week living" out of that.

So I just find it easiest to cover those bills from the work pension and then figure that everything over from that is "mine" - as it will only be a maximum of 6 days until some more State pension comes into my account. I don't allocate any of my work pension for weekly living.

In my case - that leftover work pension just goes straight towards whatever item is next on The List (some replacement clothes for me at the moment - but basically The List is for work still needing doing on my house).

Roll on the day when I've actually got spare money totally unallocated and nothing lined-up waiting for it....:rotfl:
  • I_Love_comps
    Options
    Ilovecomps - saw your comment re paying water rates in the Co-op. Had you thought of setting them up to be paid on direct debit?

Must admit I've got all bills possible on monthly direct debit - then I don't have to worry about physically making the effort to pay them. I basically started doing that back one time where I was ill for several weeks at a time and wondering how I was supposed to "get out and about" and pay those bills. These days - I just have the tv licence, house insurance and yearly gas service as one-off bills I pay at the time - so that's just 3 a year to concern myself with.

That's also got the advantage of being readily able to see what money I've actually got available to spend as I decide. With my income basically coming in two parts - then my work pension comes in monthly and the bills come out of that and my State pension comes in weekly and I do "week to week living" out of that.

So I just find it easiest to cover those bills from the work pension and then figure that everything over from that is "mine" - as it will only be a maximum of 6 days until some more State pension comes into my account. I don't allocate any of my work pension for weekly living.

In my case - that leftover work pension just goes straight towards whatever item is next on The List (some replacement clothes for me at the moment - but basically The List is for work still needing doing on my house).

Roll on the day when I've actually got spare money totally unallocated and nothing lined-up waiting for it....:rotfl:

I choose to pay by cash as I like to receive a breakdown of my monthly payments by post which comes every year. I can pay online - but when doing this I ended going paperless. Not a fan of too many direct debits.
    If I have to walk to the shops to pay a bill then that is good exercise for me. Which keeps the 1lbs off and me at a reasonable weight.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Challenges

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Each to their own on that one then:)
  • Thrift_Cottage
    Options
    I am 45 and have been using a menstrual cup for about a year due to increasingly sensitive lady bits:eek:
    It's fab and i would recommend it to everyone. About £20 and lasts for years and years. It feels so much more hygenic than pads and I forget i am even having a period.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The Mirena coil was the best thing that ever happened to me! It fixed my dodgy back - in fact my osteopath pointed out to me that it was probably time to have it replaced because she was beginning to see me regularly again - something to do with hormones softening the ligaments.

And no periods at all! I sailed through the menopause, no symptoms at all.

At 55 I said to my GP 'do you think I've been through the change yet?' he checked my notes, laughed and said yes it was time to take it out.

I had half a dozen hot flushes immediately after that and that was IT!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • I_Love_comps
    Options
    Morning and it's FRIDAY :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Well I am spending again today-post office to post a card to Russia. Which has been travelling to Russia for a week, but has been sitting in my house-may send two postcards this week. I am a member of postcrossing where you exchange postcards, you are given an address to send someone a card and then a totally different person sends you back a card. The furthest country I have sent one to is Russia and the furthest received has been from Taiwan.
    Must buy some more electric too and see if the co-op have any bargains .
    This will all happen after I have been to work.
    Went shopping to Aldi last night - Christmas food was in.

Have a good day all

My Challenges

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my local area a young woman made headlines because she has invented and sells resuable/washable sanitary towels made from terry cloth like fabric. She put them on a local south wales facebook selling page but was met with a lot of abuse-people called her disgusting-and whilst I can see they might not be desired by everyone I think they are no different to a moon cup and plan to investigate further.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Went shopping to Aldi last night - Christmas food was in.
    Ditto Lidl.....I noticed the mince pies yesterday. I don't eat these now, so bought 3 bottles of wine a 4 large bad of hand cooked crisps instead. Not quite sure how this is MSE, I only popped in for some ff milk for the baby :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure