7 replies 1.7K views
J_BJ_B Forumite
5.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
We (2) are going away at the end of September with 'another couple'
Easyjet, flight only, one booking

One of the others is currently quite poorly, we hope not too seriously, but if they have to cancel is there anything we can do to minimise their loss.
They have insurance.
I've heard about swapping flights for another date, or can we swap for 'vouchers' or what??

:)

Replies

• leylandsunaddictleylandsunaddict Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    J_B wrote: »
    We (2) are going away at the end of September with 'another couple'
    Easyjet, flight only, one booking

One of the others is currently quite poorly, we hope not too seriously, but if they have to cancel is there anything we can do to minimise their loss.
    They have insurance.
    I've heard about swapping flights for another date, or can we swap for 'vouchers' or what??

All on their website.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/booking/making-a-change
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they are insured properly then there shouldn't be an issue in minimising their losses as the insurance should pay.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there
    Back again, sorry :o

The other couple are unable to join us (still sick)
    They were insured with SAGA and bizarrely, it was cheaper (at SAGA's suggestion) for them to cancel the insurance policy (£450) than to claim a flight refund (£420)

So, we are left with four flights leaving in a weeks time.

Looking at the EJ website we could do a 'name change' for £45 per leg = and a date change for £30 per leg
    45x4+30x4= £300 to swap the flights for our own use for Feb/Mar when we could buy cheaper than that already :( (Our friends wouldn't want to go in the winter)

Do we just 'no show' or could we phone to try and get Airport Tax refunded??

Does anyone have any experience (or suggestions)??
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there
    Back again, sorry :o

The other couple are unable to join us (still sick)
    They were insured with SAGA and bizarrely, it was cheaper (at SAGA's suggestion) for them to cancel the insurance policy (£450) than to claim a flight refund (£420)

So, we are left with four flights leaving in a weeks time.

Looking at the EJ website we could do a 'name change' for £45 per leg = and a date change for £30 per leg
    45x4+30x4= £300 to swap the flights for our own use for Feb/Mar when we could buy cheaper than that already :( (Our friends wouldn't want to go in the winter)

Do we just 'no show' or could we phone to try and get Airport Tax refunded??

Does anyone have any experience (or suggestions)??

I don't understand the advice given by Saga, surely they should have cancelled the flights then claimed the money back on their insurance policy less the excess? What benefit was there in cancelling the insurance policy? Or do you mean that is what the excess would have been?

Your friends can claim back the APD if they phone easyjet.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the advice given by Saga, surely they should have cancelled the flights then claimed the money back on their insurance policy less the excess? What benefit was there in cancelling the insurance policy? Or do you mean that is what the excess would have been?

The policy cost our friends £450 (they are both over 80!)
    The flights cost £420
    SAGA offered to cancel the policy and give them a refund which was a better 'offer' that keeping the insurance, and then claiming a refund less the excess!
    Your friends can claim back the APD if they phone easyjet.
    The booking is in our name - does that matter?

On another slightly different matter - regarding another issue that you have also commented on - the price of the flights has now dropped, so I suppose we ought to claim the 'price promise' money back first, then ask for APD back another day, or is that too greedy??

We also had one suitcase on the booking, which we no longer need, don't suppose we can cancel that, can we???

• peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The policy cost our friends £450 (they are both over 80!)
    The flights cost £420
    SAGA offered to cancel the policy and give them a refund which was a better 'offer' that keeping the insurance, and then claiming a refund less the excess!
    Ah, I see, I didn't realise they refunded the cost of the policy, that's very good of them then.

The booking is in our name - does that matter?

I don't think it does with a straightforward flight, there aren't the same restrictions with lead names as there are with a package, they should be able to log in with the booking ref and amend just their flights. [/quote]
    On another slightly different matter - regarding another issue that you have also commented on - the price of the flights has now dropped, so I suppose we ought to claim the 'price promise' money back first, then ask for APD back another day, or is that too greedy??

I don't think that's too greedy at all, they offer a service, you're free to use it. But they might say the original booking was for 4 seats and that's why you got that price, but definitely worth a try.

Your friends will have to ask for their APD back, not you.
    We also had one suitcase on the booking, which we no longer need, don't suppose we can cancel that, can we???
    I don't think luggage is refundable, but again, that would go to your friends, not you.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • leylandsunaddictleylandsunaddict Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Luggage is non refundable. An APD refund will go back to the original card the booking was paid with. Your price promise will be in the form of a voucher, valid for flights booked within 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals