IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NPE have my car registration wrong, do I still pay?

Options

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mangomummy wrote: »
    Thanks, how do I find out if there is footage?

CCTV/ANPR doesn't really come into it when it is a bloke on a bike going around putting tickets on cars.
    I very much don't want to pay them but I've never had one before and don't want to get stung for further fines.

The notice was aggressively cellotaped to my car windscreen!

I did LOL at that description.:rotfl:
  • Mangomummy
    Options
    Thanks. I don't love the idea of not doing anything about it- just want it sorted but really don't want to pay it esp with their error.
  • atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I don't love the idea of not doing anything about it- just want it sorted but really don't want to pay it esp with their error.
    So do exactly as instructed.
    Just sit back and play the game.

As for paying, do you think any on this board pay?

The scammers have a whole set of hoops to jump through and must comply with all the rules, not just the bits that suit them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks, how do I find out if there is footage?

To answer this specific question, you send a Subject Access Request plus £10 to their Data Controller. Within the SAR you ask for all information on your [correct] registration including any CCTV footage. If they have CCTV footage, they must supply it minus anyone elses details.

But before you consider sending the SAR wait until they write which will indicate they checked the incorrect registration and made a DVLA access request based on the correct one shown in the CCTV or other camera.
    The notice was aggressively cellotaped to my car windscreen!

If you do get pics, I'd like to see the aggressive sellotape.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    No, I do not think that he means that the cellotape was aggressive, but the method by which it was attached.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Mangomummy
    Options
    SHE means that the cellotape was applied thoroughly and has left a mark on the windscreen which seems unlikely to come off.

I guess I'll have to wait it all out then and even if they get the correct reg from footage, if it doesn't match my paperwork then they can't uphold it.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2016 at 9:36AM
    Options
    SHE means that the cellotape was applied thoroughly and has left a mark on the windscreen which seems unlikely to come off.

I guess I'll have to wait it all out then and even if they get the correct reg from footage, if it doesn't match my paperwork then they can't uphold it.

First of all, you are in good hands here. The regulars have done this hundreds of times to help people like you pay nothing. The basics are, do not pay, do not ignore, do NOT reveal who was driving, do not miss the appeal deadline, never, NEVER, 'phone a private parking company.

Start by reading the Sticky thread for NEWBIES at the top of the main Parking Tickets forum. This will give you an idea how the system works.

There is no easy fix, but if you follow the good advice here you will not have to pay a penny to the scammers.

The DRIVER has received an incorrect invoice. We don't know who that was. The vehicle keeper might not know who that was. ;)
    So, the parking company now have to issue a notice to keeper between day 28 and day 56 of the alleged event, that day being day zero.
    In order to invoke keeper liability they have to fulfil many legal requirements, one of which is that the NTK must match the NTD, which it won't.

It isn't just a case of saying, they got it wrong so you can't claim money from you; they will want money and make you prove they have no right to it.

It's unfortunate but that's the way the unregulated parking industry goes.

So, you are now waiting to see if you get a POFA 2012 compliant NTK before you do anything else. Come back here if and when it arrives.

That gives you plenty of time to absorb the NEWBIES information, including abbreviations and acronyms.

edit.

There won't be footage, just a couple of stills showing a car parked including one showing the windscreen invoice.

If you get the time, go back to the car park and take pictures of the entrance signs and signage around the site. General views showing the inadequate positions and close ups showing the inadequate wording and small print.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Mangomummy
    Options
    Thanks- I really don't want this hanging overe though. What's the worst outcome for me if I play the waiting game? I was in the wrong (a car park I used to use a few years ago which has now turned pay and display, in a hurry with small children, didn't see the notices or machines so had no ticket for a 2 hour stay). If they have a clear picture with the correct registration on then they can prove it was in the wrong in which case I'd rather get it did be with and pay the £60 than a later, larger fee.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,115 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Errrr who was in the wrong?

If you didn't see any signs, has it even crossed your mind that the scamming ppc might be in the wrong, or even purposely trapping you by lack of signage?
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to get it through your head that you are dealing with a one man band and sometimes an employee. A fine upstanding member of the community aah Police caution for VAT fraud, changed his and the firms name. It is in his interest not to have clear signs so he can get mugs to fund his lifestyle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport