PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    I take it the quietness on this thread means people still aren't having much luck! The house we loved is definitely a no go for us, it sold to someone else just as we got an offer on ours, then went straight back on the market, then was taken off again as the vendor has changed their mind about selling! I said in one of my first posts about it that my only concern was that she didn't really want to move. Turns out I was right!

I put an ad on the local facebook group for the area we want to live in, asking if anyone was considering selling, but not yet up with an agent. Got a couple of leads from that. I actually got loads of replies, many unsuitable ones but I was pleased with the response, considering I was just chancing my arm! Hoping to go and see a couple in the next few weeks. Will also keep avidly refreshing Rightmove :rotfl:
  • Regina.filangie
    Options
    I swear some of you must live near to me! My house is now sold, conveyancing work is underway and I am desperately trying to find a new house for me and my children. House was sold as part of a very nasty and bitter separation so I am very pleased to see the back of it. But...there's just nothing on the market at the minute! What's going on?

I'm a long time RM lurker and usually see loads of houses I'd go for, sod's law that now I'm in a position to buy, with a lovely big deposit and a good broker ready and waiting, the market goes practically silent. How frustrating.

Desperately don't want to lose our buyers so if I don't find anything to buy I'll have to move into rented while I continue my search. Although I've been looking for those too and again, nothing suitable! Aaaarrrghhh!!
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    yes, very very quite down South! I actually have a viewing tomorrow. I have since discovered it is owned by a charity (nothing is simple is it!!). In the EAs description it says that basically the house will 'stay on the open market until exchange' so they can consider all offers. Meaning it will remain on RM for all that time....

Does anybody know anything about properties owned by charities!?

It's a huge house, just in the wrong location. There is NOTHING else out there at the mo so am now scraping the barrel and looking at other areas.

Hope we hear some good news soon about anyone's house buying!
  • pollyannaL
    Options
    update: put in an offer today (eeeek)...haven't heard from the EA so will patiently wait for tomorrow...
  • Pumpkim
    Options
    Exciting Pollyanna! Is it the charity one?
    We've got one definite to see on Sat and waiting on agents to call me today on another two. None of them get me really excited on paper and but we've decided to look at anything that ticks the practical boxes to see if they then win us over in the flesh.
    Got another lead from my FB ad last night, from an old school friend, her father in law is thinking of selling. Now this one does get me excited if the price is right! Just need to convince him to sell soon!
  • golly99
    golly99 Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Accepted on our house a couple a months ago and fortunately got patient buyers who we have kept informed but missed out on a couple and frequently checking Rightmove but nothing much coming up...houses which are unsold are up for way too much so hopefully if one of those does have a reduction we will be in a good place to take advantage!

As everyone else has said agents have said how quiet it is and typical before we had sold ours there was quite a few we would have considered!

Good luck all.
  • Pumpkim
    Options
    We've just discovered the owner of one of the houses we're viewing tomorrow is my OH's old school friend... we feel a bit awkward about it, would you?
  • pollyannaL
    Options
    Pumpkim wrote: »
    We've just discovered the owner of one of the houses we're viewing tomorrow is my OH's old school friend... we feel a bit awkward about it, would you?

Pumpkin,
    Not at all - i think you would have more chance of getting the house. Go for it!

:j Guess what - my offer was accepted today! The house was reduced by 10k this week as was initially overpriced. So i didn't consider it, but then when reduced i just booked a viewing without thinking it would be 'the one'. As soon as I drove up to the drive, it was just so calm and quiet, birds tweeting. It just felt really familiar. It is not a victorian house, has no feature fireplaces (these were all on my wish list) and will need a rewire, new boiler etc but I can do that so no dramas. But garden is huge, not overlooked, and a quiet little street. This property isn't the charity sale, but is leasehold (arghhhhh - stayed away from them until now). Broker ensures me it's fine as 999 lease. (hope so!)..only solicitor will find out i guess.

Fingers crossed it all works out, but i am over the first hurdle. There is no chain either as lady died (RIP).

Maybe (hoping) it will be my last post on this thread, and I can move onto waiting for mortgage application approval!

Hope it works out for all of you - guess it's true what everyone says. Go and view the houses that you don't even see yourself in! (i ignored that until now!). :T
  • Pumpkim
    Options
    Great news Pollyanna, well done!

We didn't like the houses we viewed today :(

I'm starting to worry now, our buyer is moving forward with the purchase, which is great but it's looking more and more like we'll end up renting for a while which we really didn't want to do but there really is NOTHING suitable on the market, and I'm not just being fussy. I just think it's only going to get slower as the summer holidays approach, :(
  • henrypootle
    henrypootle Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Our house sale is progressing nice and quickly to the point that we are moving out next Friday eeek!
    We put in an offer on a house on Saturday and I am sitting nervously waiting for the phone to ring to hear back on that one. There doesn't seem to be much coming on the market at the moment which is a bit worrying.
    Henry Pootle (aka Piglet) :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport