New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

22 Foxhole East

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
3K replies 353.6K views

Replies

• giblet1979giblet1979 Forumite
    864 posts
    ✭✭✭
    All sounds really positive :) I keep looking at my curtains and thinking I should line them, but wouldn't have a clue where to start! x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got my granola from a shop on Wigston Precinct. Down past Superdrug but before the charity shops. I was on my weekly trawl around the charity shops when I saw boxes of the stuff, but they are for the German/French market so the labels are not in English.

So I went on a YS raid in Mr T's this afternoon. Spent £5 but have buckets of hummus and salad and basil and blueberries and panninis for lunchboxes. So I made blueberry muffins when I got home, found the missing radiator keys in with DHs socks (?) and DH has been around with a spanner and turned all the water back on to the radiators that were not working. They are all fine, but they had just been turned off at the nut, rather than just turned down to * setting. So all the heating works apart from the towel rail in the bathroom. So happy that if it all ends up being really cold, we can just turn the heating on. As it is the first year we are in this house, we have no idea at all what the heating bills are going to be. I have been paying £60 a month for gas and electric combined all summer, and I know that we are in credit by about £50, but I am just going to have to make sure I give meter readings regularly. There is no point being cold if we are saving £500 a month not renting, and we were on a pre-payment meter in our rented house last winter, £10 every three days!! just for heating and I did not have the heating on unless the kids or DH was home.

Giblet lining curtains with fleece is dead easy, because fleece doesn't fray you dont have to hem it, in fact that iron on sticky stuff, bondaweb ( that you turn up trousers with?), would probably do it. I just hand sewed the fleece to the bottom of the webbing at the top of the curtain where the curtain hooks go. Just a simple running stitch. The difference in room temperature instantly was amazing.

So, we are all toasty warm in the foxhole, and it is gnocchi, pesto and salad for tea - cheap, filling and tasty. Feeds 6 for less than £2.50. Then bath and bedtime for the smalls as all the school uniform has been washed and dried and put away. How domesticated am I!
    MFW#65 Feb 20 = £87,500 next target £80k in December 20
    E/F £13k + K/F £3,150 = £16,150
    NSTurtle # 8🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢 but I still need a new roof and an extension
  • edited 6 November 2016 at 7:45PM
    BobarellaBobarella Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2016 at 7:45PM
    Regarding your bed buyers manners cost nothing. I felt really peed off with some of the behaviour on Halloween. The first lot that came to the door literally said nothing, there was my son stood there with the bowl of sweets saying nice things about their costumes and politely standing there whilst the three girls grabbed handfuls and then left. I could tell he was quite taken aback. Thankfully subsequent children were much nicer and the adults actually came to the door with the children rather than standing back and letting them grab and run.

Well done on your awesome payout. That's great.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • EatingTheElephantEatingTheElephant Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'd not thought about using fleece to line curtains, great tip!
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey it were cold this morning! DS2 decided to remember his clarinet book without prompting today, hooray! Sadly he remembered he had forgotten his clarinet as he was getting out of the car at the school gate. So I dropped 3 & 4 at their school, went home, did a quick cupboard inventory and weekly menu plan, sorted the shopping list, and went to drop the clarinet off at reception on the way to the supermarket. Spent £8 on the bits I needed to feed everyone, then spent £38 on hats and gloves and EVEN MORE school trousers for DS3 ( I think he eats them in the night). So they have lovely bobble hats and matching gloves to go off to school in.

At 5.30 I went to check the heating was set to come on at 6. The control box had lost the time, date, day etc and just had one word........ INTERNAL .......... eeek! so googled it, and apparently that means a fault in the control box, unscrewed it from the wall, opened it up, had a look, made sure the battery was seated properly, gave up 'cos I don't even know what I am looking for, decided we would just be cold tonight, but I would ring a man tomorrow, screwed it back on to the wall and it works perfectly. Bloody thing, it is supposed to be -3 at breakfast time tomorrow, tonight is not the time to be mucking about. It is the central heating equivalent to the kids hiding behind the sofa when we are supposed to be leaving the house. I think it did it on purpose.
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh DEAR GODS what is going on in the world.

President Trump. Honestly. .. not forgetting I still have my knickers in a twist over Brexit....and the general election for that matter. Anyone else feeling the world has gone mad? Well, over here in 'the minority corner' where promises are not like pie crusts and there has to be a bit of reality behind the words. I think the political word for this year has to be CHANGE, that is what people are voting for.

Yesterday was nearly a NSD, but I found some YS puff pastry and so spent 80p on my card. I like spending tiny amounts on my card, then when I look at my bill I can see I had to do a top up/swooped on a bargain.

Just woke DH to give him the Trump News. That boy has a dirty mouth. I think I will have to take up political betting on the side I do not want to win. I get it right every time.
  • kirtsypooskirtsypoos Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you there foxholes. Wish I'd had a cheeky bet on last nights election!

I understand peoples need for change, but I do not understand how anyone thinks good change is going to come from a racist, sexist, xenophobic twit like Trump!

Trump news has got me delurking all over the place :o apologies for popping up on your diary with a little rant :o
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No problems, I did my BA and MA in post WW2 European Politics (not much use for all those politics and policies of the EU modules!) so if you want to get political come sit with me and I'll keep your glass topped up.

What I cannot understand is how 53% of white American women could vote for him. Apparently the child rape charges he was up against have been dropped as she has been the focus of death threats and harassment. !!!!!! what is going on in the world? This is the kind of people people want to represent them?
  • kirtsypooskirtsypoos Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I truly do not understand the thought process behind it.

I am still reeling from the brexit vote and subsequent fallout. Just feeling very despairing of the World and what people are deciding is the way forward.
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Troubling times indeed, with France due to have elections in April and Germany in August, plus Netherlands, Hungary, Albania, Norway, Serbia, Armenia and Czech Republic all in 2017...