22 Foxhole East

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you do need doorknobs, I got mine from here: https://www.vintagedoorknobs.co.uk

The price has gone up a bit, but they're cheaper than most places and the quality is good. Only caveat is that they don't use an ordinary spindle, they have a threaded one, so you can't mix and match with other handles. However, I have used the wooden beehive ones on the outside of all my upstairs doors, and brass ones on the insides of the bedroom doors and nickel on the inside of the bathroom, varying them to fit the style of the room decor.
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks greenbee, my main problem is that some of the doors have had yale locks fitted and so there is a round hole, not so much of a problem now I have decided to have finger plates, much cheaper than a new door.

I seem to be unable to live with door handles. I injure myself on them all the time, they catch in my pockets and trap me! I need door knobs. Those I can deal with, and they have the added advantage of being tricky for small children to open. Obv mine are too big for this now, but I loved it when I could outwit them with a door knob. It meant I could get rid of the stairgates. Happy days.

So I cannot be trusted with - wide trousers / door handles at the moment. Too dangerous for me.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • greenbee
    Options
    I changed mine from handles to knobs upstairs and am looking forward to getting downstairs done!
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always bang myself on door handles too! They are always there so I don't quite understand how it happens so frequently but I guess that's life! :cool:
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • f0xh0les
    edited 16 January 2017 at 3:28PM
    Options
    This afternoon's news report goes something like this...

I have finally removed every single sodding panel pin of the million and half pins some idiot put in perfectly good doors (bong)

That means that I can strip the doors down to the wood (bong)

Will get as many done as possible before the carpenter comes on Thursday and Friday (bong)

I have found door knobs and fingerplates, plain silver ones not the gold ones I was going for, but they will all be the same on the outside (hall side) to add uniformity (bong)

They were a great price - of course! (bong)

They will be ready to pick up tomorrow (bong)

I do not have any blisters, even though I have spent DAYS using a claw hammer and pliers (bong)

DH is home from Portugal (bong)

My S-I-L knitted me an orange hat with Fox Ears!! I sent her a free online pattern, and she made it for me as an Xmas present. (bong)

DS1 seems quite clued up about what he wants to do for his options, parents' evening tomorrow, utterly stress free. (bong)

Spending seems to be well under control, yay! (bong)

5 NSDs so far this month - (bong)

And now for the weather - it is raining.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • f0xh0les
    Options
    Today I returned more doorknobs, couldn't find receipt so agreed to a gift card, came home and found receipt. Sod's law. Nevermind.

I just cashed in my £15 TCC vouchers for £60 worth of Pizza Express vouchers. Going out to use them on Saturday . Eating out is a very special occasion as it very rarely happens, birthdays and anniversaries really - it is our 16 year taxiversary. We had a religious ceremony where we were married in '98 (anniversary) but only made it to the registry office in 2001 - thus taxiversary. So in May it will be 19 yrs since we married. Some of the vouchers were going out of date, so I had to use them and this seemed a good candidate at the time.

Cleaned out the hamster cages again today, nearly had an escape from Hugo (aka cheeky aka Biter aka Shere Khan) he squeaks when something happens he does not understand. Like being picked up or finding himself on the carpet. He was very confused by carpet. Mind you, it is a very confusing carpet - I am always confused why anyone would ever choose this hideous thing, but then I realised it must have been popular once, as one of the student houses I lived in had the same carpet but in blue and purple, rather than the red and gold swirling leaves and flowers of disgustingness. (Fret ye not, it is on 'the list')

Quite excited about Mr Carpenter coming on Thursday to rehang the doors so you can turn on the light without having to go around the other side of the door. All light switches were changed around when we rewired.

Need to get a huge boot up the backside and get quotes for the roof and double glazing. Feeling really lazy, but I just need to get my finger out and get on with it. The tales of woe and nightmare builders on the TV do not help at all with my motivation. Then again neither do stupid quotes from greedy tradespeople. There must be people out there who do a good job, the thing is just sorting the wheat from the chaff before they wreck the place. Whinge over.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    I don't know which side of the shire you're on but we used a great local window company I'd happily recommend if you don't have anyone on the radar.

We have similar issue with wallpaper in our shack as you do with carpet. Who puts pillar box red wallpaper with MASSIVE white flowers in a lounge diner :eek: or black, yep, that's not a typo black wallpaper with equally big pink flowers in a bedroom :eek:

Our lovely carpenter has been here yesterday and today and he's building me a airing cupboard I didn't expect and will be hanging a new door tomorrow. It's the simple things :T switches on a coupe of our doors (not this one) will have to wait until we earth the house. We'll get there in the end.
  • greenbee
    Options
    We have similar issue with wallpaper in our shack as you do with carpet. Who puts pillar box red wallpaper with MASSIVE white flowers in a lounge diner :eek: or black, yep, that's not a typo black wallpaper with equally big pink flowers in a bedroom :eek:

People who read interiors magazines :cool:

The people who my parents bought their house from. It's now been painted over very successfully (the windowless ensuite had black wallpaper with silver flowers ...)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I don't know which side of the shire you're on but we used a great local window company I'd happily recommend if you don't have anyone on the radar.

Our lovely carpenter has been here yesterday and today and he's building me a airing cupboard I didn't expect and will be hanging a new door tomorrow. It's the simple things :T switches on a coupe of our doors (not this one) will have to wait until we earth the house. We'll get there in the end.

Actually that sounds just like my friends house when they moved in..first thing she did was strip every inch of the wallpaper (even worse it was badly hung and not even pattern matched or straight) I think she likened their bedroom to a wh**es boudoir and refused to sleep in it until the paper was gone :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• f0xh0les
    Options
    Mr Carpenter man is upstairs. He got here and was already grumpy then saw the stairs, 3 flights, became more grumpy, 'thought you said it wasn't Victorian' he said. No, it is definitely Victorian. 'All your doors are wonky!' yup, it's Victorian. 'I can hang them so they will close, but there are no snibs on the other side to latch them into' - of course there bloody isn't, you are here to change the swing of the doors!!! that includes making sure they can close! Then I got the, 'oh, well it won't be perfect you know? I'm going to have to shave bits off the door' and the 'the frame is twisted'... oh for goodness sake for £45 a door just do it! Then he said he should have come out and had a look first. Well I booked him in early November, he must have had 10 minutes at some point to come out. So I asked him if he would rather not do the job, and suddenly he became helpful and wanted to look for solutions rather than spout all the problems it would entail. Anyway, he is turning 4 doors today and I will have a look and then 4 doors tomorrow. £26 of bits and hinges so far, I went to the hardware shop for him so he didn't disappear 'for five minutes' and return an hour and a half later. 3 hours in, and two doors are hung and a third well on the way. And of course, it has to be cash.

Next time I am specifically going to state I do not pay cash.
    But he does have very good reviews on Yell, and has experience. But by god he can complain!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure