»

22 Foxhole East - Page 172

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

22 Foxhole East

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2K replies 237.5K views

Replies

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    It is Sunderland University Apple, no history, politics or MFL courses to be offered anymore, as they are not relevant to the workplace.

They're a bit out of touch with the workplace then... I've just had to update all my economic forecasts (which inform our business strategy) thanks to the orange idiot and his antics in Iran. I'm currently listening to the 'Tech for Good' sessions at Davos with constant references to history (Yuval Noah Harari was a panellist), and although I know everyone speaks English, which makes us lazy, there are around 50 languages spoken in my office - if I didn't at least understand a few of them I'd have no clue as to what is actually going on ...

In fact, looking at the really interesting innovators in tech (and business more generally), they tend to be historians or anthropologists/social scientists/arts grads... not scientists, mathematicians and techies (although we do need those too!
  • f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am just not comfortable with universities only offering courses in 'government approved' areas. If these are all to be government approved in-work apprenticeships, that means £3.90 an hour, not being able to afford to move out, reliant on tax credits, and a ridiculously low income for 3-5 years. But it does mean that the NEET and Unemployment figures will look good and nobody will take their skills abroad.
    MFW#65 5/16 £118,3 Remortgage 2020 £93,511.34
  • VintageHistorianVintageHistorian Forumite
    532 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    It also suggests that "soft" subjects such as history and politics aren't for "the likes of them up north". Sunderland mostly recruits locally and has a lot of First in Family students. Telling them that they don't deserve to be allowed to learn history or a new language is really sad.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2020 - £62.59 |
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the whole remortgage thing looks like it is going through nicely. I have just made an additional overpayment as the redemption figure was £348.79 more than we asked to borrow, although that does not take the mortgage payment into account that would go in 2 days before we complete. So I made the o/p and have informed the conveyancers that the amount we want to borrow is £94k and not a penny more. We have to send DS1 back into school with another form for his teacher to witness his signature, as it asked for full name, and she decided an initial would do. So back in again tomorrow and we can then email it back to them and it should be processed on Monday. Then it is 3 days for them to transfer money about the place and that should be it. Although they say it will complete on the 3rd. Unsurprising, as the Bank of Clyde do not update their mortgage records or take mortgage payments over a weekend. Annoying bunch of bankers.

Anyway, I am looking forward to not being with them any more. I am doing a happy dance right now, as it all seems to be progressing smoothly.
  • GlendaSugarbeanGlendaSugarbean Forumite
    689 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    We have a Shanghai mortgage and they are very efficient and excellent at online banking. Any transfers from my current account (same bank) show up immediately. I found their telephone mortgage people very helpful too.
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou Glenda! I think the main stress about my mortgage is when I can't see a decent balance sheet online. And I have only been able to see the bottom line for the last two years, and had to work out daily interest on a calculator. Looking forward to being able to just look. Plus take the £175 bribe to switch!
  • GlendaSugarbeanGlendaSugarbean Forumite
    689 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    They are a behemoth and heading to global domination, but the upside of that is well-resourced customer services :D
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Properly productive this morning!
    Got up, stuck laundry on, cleaned kitchen, washed up half, fed kids, sorted the c/shop pile - found some bits that were supposed to be for mending, hoicked them out, bleached the neck of one school shirt that DS2 has managed to stain with chocolate milk that would not come out with any other stain remover - bleach is last resort and it flippin' works! Spoke to step - gran for over half and hour, she had nothing to say really, went back, did laundry load 2, had an excursion to the shed and reclaimed the laundry square floor!! All clean and tidy and more importantly, EMPTY!, found a use for some cold pressed hemp oil (better than WD40 on rusty, sticky padlock innards - who knew?) put away washing up 1, did washing up 2, sorted stuff for the recycling center (aka The Tip) and put it all by the front door ready to go. Had lunch (DH cooked) did washing up 3, put laundry 2 in the dryer and now I am on the sofa with a cup of tea and a plan. To watch football.

I had put the mulberry bush in the downstairs bathroom that has no heating for the last month, and the poxy thing has thrown out leaves and spikey heady things, so it is happy with being cold, and today it has gone into daycare outside, it can come in tonight and go out again tomorrow morning, and after a couple of days we shall see about putting it into the planter, but not on top of Hugo's final resting place. The scooters went into the shed as well.

Budget for the week is just under £6. I forgot DS3got a phone for Xmas and although his bill was just over £4, I had not budgeted for it. Which means if I do a bit of baking, and nothing breaks or needs replacing, I should be ok, otherwise I will have to pay myself back from the savings account (£1000 in savings was a little ambitious in a month) - ecause of the bstupid overpayment I made on the mortgage account. Anyway, any excess payments under the £94k will come back to us in a cheque, so it is not lost money, just wandering money that will return next month. The remortgage still looks to be going through on the 3rd Feb with no bother. It has always meant a month without a payment when we have done it before, but Clyde takes its payment on 1st, and all the literature warns against cancelling the DD until you have confirmation it has gone through. So that money will have to come back as well - two sets of wandering money!

What is really lovely, is that finally, I only have about 5 things on my 'list of things I need to do'. So feeling very productive and virtuous right now. Will go to the tip tomorrow, and that will be the hall cleared as well. Yay! Still have all the laundry folding to do though.

• apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is indeed one properly productive morning!
    NST April #1; NSD 5; Ex 6; remove items 102; bagfuls (53)

Mortgage £3,000? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: soonish
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you've put me to shame. I managed a run, took friend to / from the garage, walked up to the shop with OH, had brunch (vegan 'bacon'), sat on my bum, had a bath...then a nap :o just stuck a pile of washing in and feeling bad for wasting the day but I've been away working this week, plus had a week of acid reflux that's kept me awake at night, and it's my weekend...so I figure, if I want / need a nap, I can have one.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16