Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

22 Foxhole East - Page 171

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

22 Foxhole East

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2.5K replies 305.5K views

Replies

• in_need_of_directionin_need_of_direction Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being one of seven, I have memories of my mum having hidden biscuits in the tumble dryer as only she did the laundry
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £59614.29 Offset fund today 1541.16 target £2000 by 31/12/20
    Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:j
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 2lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.:T
  • f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have hidden their confiscated laptops and phones in their piles of returned laundry before, and told them to tidy their rooms and put their stuff away, and they can have their stuff back, sometimes it takes them 4 days to find their own stuff in their own rooms.:rotfl: Their choice!
    I have just magically produced a ys cake from the larder, and DS3 informed me I have two of them hidden, and 4 boxes of truffles too, hidden somewhere else. He knows because DS2 told him. :rotfl:. Honestly! I flippin' give up!

The tumble drier is starting to look like a good hiding place... (for snacks, not for me).
    Virtuously folded 3 loads of dry laundry, stuck another one in the dryer and another one in the machine. That should be it for the weekend.

The frost was still on all the cars out the front at 10am, so it must have been cold last night. I was toasty under the duvet with no heating on - I do not have the heating on after 9.30 as we tend to go to bed around 10ish, and the house is warmer upstairs than down.
    I have just melted the rest of the candle waste and made another layer for my copper candle. It is now ready to burn once all the other tealights are gone, which will be tomorrow!

I am not spending any money today or tomorrow. I have decided.

I have everything in I need for lunchboxes, I can bake, we have everything until Monday when I might need a bottle of squash, but I have a pound coin in my coat pocket for emergencies, and squash only costs 69p. Going to go super-uber-frugal next week.

DS2 is 12 in a fortnight, all his presents are bought (laptop for big school), and he has just announced he wants a coffee and walnut cake. So be it.

I have confirmed that the mortgage exit fee is £195, on top of the £94k and whatever interest is due for this month, but if it does not complete until after 1st Feb, then it will be just under £94k and all is well in the world. 12 days left until we know, and if I need to make a sneaky over payment of the excess . I am still shocked that The Bank of Clyde wanted a £499 fee to move us on to a much worse rate as well as an exit fee. No wonder I am off!

Just checked all the Life Insurance/Assurance and you know it still looks quite good, both for death and critical illness and income protection. So I might just leave it as it is. :T One less job to do.
    MFW#65 Sept 20 = £89,999.99 Under £90 k!
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
    NSTurtle # 6🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢 but I still need a new roof.
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urgh, kids rooms magically donated another 3 laundry loads this morning. The house is nice and clean and tidy and hoovered. All bathrooms cleaned. Supper tonight was fridge leftovers, so 3 different meals that only needed heating up. DH took DS1 off hinge shopping so I still had a NSD.
    I only have 56 books left in my 'books still to read pile'.
    There is food in the house, but after I bung DS1 an emergency £20 note tomorrow morning, I will have a budget of £11 for the week, and practically nothing I need to buy. Just a bottle of squash , a loaf of bread, and a bag of spuds and I am sorted. The car is 3/4 full of petrol.

I am panicking a bit, but £11 is perfectly doable with everything I already have in. I decided not to put my car breakdown insurance on the cc and pay it off next month, like I usually do, when the money comes in, I have a cc balance of £0, and the money came out of this week's budget instead. Just to see if I could. So I did.

Just a little experiment while I wait to find out about the remortgage .....
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doing well on the budget - forgot to buy a bag of spuds.

The foodbank is totally dead at the minute. Only one client tonight. Still, it means we have filled lots of emergency boxes to go out to the churches, and stocked up all the shelves in readiness for the next session - it is an afternoon session so tends to be a bit busier ( back up to 8 people last week).

The mortgage people got in touch today to ask what the first name of the signature witness was, as they only had an initial. So things are moving along. Why it has taken them 6 days to process the bl00dy form I do not know.

Got DS1 off to his college on time to get the coach, and just managed to get home and pick up the other three and get them to school on time. The frost never melted on the pavements here where the sun did not touch, and it is quite ice-rinky out there now.

Tomorrow will be much more productive, today was just about volunteering.
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just enjoying a post school-run cup of coffee before I get back into it all.

I have rung McShoddy bank of Clyde, and I have a redemption figure of £94,321.97 which is fine, as it means I am paying £4.09 in interest a day! woo hoo! I nearly made sub £4 a day. I am happy with that. I am not happy that after 1st Feb it is £13.40 each and every day until we switch over to the Shanghai Bank. I hope they get a wriggle on.

So last night DH casually remarks there is a job going in Manchester..... There are no guarantees in life, but there is a guarantee I am getting this house sorted before I move the kids out of here. Flippin' man does my head in, so I have decided to have an affair. Due to the logistics of normal daily life, combined with childcare commitments, after long consideration, I shall have to have an affair with DH. He can wear a hat or something.

Only 2 more postings until I am off the Post Office Spy Programme. Will be back on it again in a couple of months. Free stamps come in handy.

Right, the kitchen will not clean itself (I know, I asked it but it said no)
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to have a discussion with DH about when are good times to move and when not - you can base it on where the boys are in the education system, as there will be times that you don't want to disrupt them.

In the meantime, I'm sure you can find him a mask to wear :D
  • edited 21 January at 1:31PM
    f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January at 1:31PM
    It is not only that DS1 & 2 are half way through A levels and GCSEs, there is no guarantee that he will get the job. So if he wants to go and audition, then fine, he can commute, or defer for 12 months or whatever if he gets it (academia is full of people taking jobs, but not being able to start as they have contractual obligations elsewhere) and if they are advertising now, it will not be starting until September, nothing happens quickly in Academia, and nothing will happen before he becomes an AssProf. But it is good he is thinking about FullProf roles. Sometimes I think he is just thinking aloud.

The mortgage is portable. When we do go we are walking away from here with a big fat deposit this time.

It is so weird having to be the 'adult' in a relationship with someone who presents as a level-headed professional, when I come across as a dangerous lunatic nut job who would dance in the town square dressed as a tiger while wrestling a squirrel.
    He deserves to have imposter syndrome.
    The kitchen is now totally clean and tidy, supper is prepped, and there is a great big vegetable stew on the hob doing its thing.

Supper will be toad in the hole, roasties, veg, and gravy.

Might make some scones later. Depends on how badly behaved the kids are, and how late DS1 is running on the way home from PhysicsCamp.
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
  • edited 23 January at 11:12AM
    f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 January at 11:12AM
    Today is foodbank day, so can't really settle to much as I am clock watching. The laundry is all done, the washing up is done, the house is tidy and the kitchen cleaned.

I have no idea what to do for supper. There was a massive sulk from DS4 last night as there was no pudding. Bad mother! Cherry yoghurt was rejected as unsuitable, in fact it seemed to cause offense! Spoilt little Princes. Anyway, I am firmly put in the naughty corner.

DH was still umming and ahhing about applying for the job in Mcr. and it seems he is going to leave it, try for the promotion part un, get the extension built , pay down the mortgage, go for promotion part deux, see DS1 to University (hopefully) and wait and see what the Educational Fallout of Brexit is - SOAS has made major announcements this week and sacked staff, Sunderland has announced it will no longer teach History , Politcs, and modern foreign language degrees and will instead only offer in-work apprenticeships in areas deemed 'important to the nation' - W the ever loving F??

Now, there is no wonder MFL applications are down, as the Erasmus programme has been up in the air, and they would not guarantee it would continue. There will be further bad news in the sector coming soon.
    I want to know about the Governments new Green Deal, as I would love a grant, or a reduction, or other MSE saving, but cannot find out a thing for love nor money. The are happy to say they are going to reduce emissions, and make everything more green, but there is no real info about how this is going to happen. I need a new kitchen, and I want to do this as green as possible, and if that means swapping out my old 11 year old gas boiler for solar PV and generating electricity on my roof, then marvellous, tell me what schemes are coming!!

Ok, tea, then volunteering, and hopefully DS1 will have his mortgage disclaimer form witnessed and we can send that back tonight. 7 days left until £13+ a day interest.
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mfl. I could go on for hours... When I started teaching mfl 27 years ago (yikes!), there was the 'diversification' initiative and I was in a great school offering 3 mfls, rotating them. It was there that I self studied Deutsch and eventually got my A level to add to my other mfls. Then 5 years later I changed school and the 'every child must do a lang at gcse' initiative was introduced from on high with v little prep. Cue a huge amount of disgruntled students, forced to continue with a disliked subject. Eventually the compulsory element fizzled, and then came the ebac. Or rather, there was a lot of talk and money-spending, but that has also fizzled somewhat.

I have no solution. I love what I do and try to inspire the pupils...

Sorry to witter on :D.
    NST October#; NSD ; Ex ; bagfuls (61)

Mortgage £500? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is Sunderland University Apple, no history, politics or MFL courses to be offered anymore, as they are not relevant to the workplace.
    E/F £14,000 + K/F £2,100