🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Selling everything when the market reaches a new all time high

Options

Comments

• darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    I've been through the Asian crisis and not sold, the Russian crisis and not sold, the dot-com bubble and not sold, the aftermath of 9/11 and not sold, the Chinese crisis and not sold, the great Credit Crunch and not sold, the Euro crisis and not sold, the second Chinese crisis and not sold, and brexit and not sold. Couldn't buy much either because usually filled my ISA on April 6th so no spare cash without selling. I must have done something wrong ;)

Now that's what I call a veteran.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mogley wrote: »
    I have read most of this thread and find it very interesting seeing peoples attitude to the markets being at an all time high. I thought the whole idea of investing was so that the markets you are invested in keep growing and growing. The high point therefore doesn't matter. Just keep investing. The only point in which anybody investing for the long term should time the market is when they're investments have an equivalent value in cash to satisfy their specific savings goal(s).
    This is easy for me to say as I am relatively new to investing (passively) and have time on my side. I'll continue to drip feed within my own predetermined balance of funds, re-balancing occasionally when weighting dictates.

Good luck with timing the market :).

And here's me hating high. I want to see the crash. I want to see prices fall at least within the few years that I am in accumulating mode!!

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    darkidoe wrote: »
    And here's me hating high. I want to see the crash. I want to see prices fall at least within the few years that I am in accumulating mode!!

It is a double edged sword, even though I have a fair amount already invested, when the new tax year comes around and it is time to max out on my SIPP and ISA's (and also non wrapped investments at any time) I hope for the market to dip. Because my horizon is at least 15 years away, I am not too concerned about market prices from a cashing out point of view, I know in that time frame there will be surges, crashes and recoveries.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Ray_Singh-Blue
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    I had my fingers burnt too in supermarkets and oil. I sold out of most of the supermarkets at a loss but kept Sainsbury's which is still at a loss. The oil companies have more or less recovered with the rising oil price. TBH my other single stocks have done remarkably well. Not sure if it's luck or not. But you never know what's round the corner and the supermarkets did caught me (although easily avoided by cutting the positions lot sooner after the first profit warnings).

I too dipped my fingers "in supermarkets and oil", but FTSE100 companies. As I haven't undipped them yet, I'm hoping to avoid burns in the long term.

AIM shares though, they can really burn, I lost 3 fingers before I learned not to dip my hands in there.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    I've been through the Asian crisis and not sold, the Russian crisis and not sold, the dot-com bubble and not sold, the aftermath of 9/11 and not sold, the Chinese crisis and not sold, the great Credit Crunch and not sold, the Euro crisis and not sold, the second Chinese crisis and not sold, and brexit and not sold. Couldn't buy much either because usually filled my ISA on April 6th so no spare cash without selling. I must have done something wrong ;)

I started out investing a few years after you. No doubt you have learnt to trust and respect the views of the financial experts.
  • RobStaffs
    RobStaffs Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been repositioing my exposure in the last six months and increasing my holding in Emerging Markets and US stocks. The latter probably will only be for another year or so. . Around 34% of my investments are in UK market, 20% in the US and 25% in Asia. I have been building an stocks and shares ISA for over 7 years and never cashed any funds. Instead I have just moved them around. I also have a £500 monthly DD which I use to buy funds on a monthly basis.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 January 2017 at 10:31AM
    Options
    I sold all last week, wrapped up profits and am now happily all in cash. Going to spend time later on, working out limit buys, think I will make them quite cheeky as anything could happen in the next few weeks. I don`t mind if they don`t trigger as my way is to increase the sipp (inherited, widow, defensive) which I managed for my husband since 2006, via taking profits and then waiting for lower (resistance) points via charting. I usually buy more shares for the sold amount, includes expenses but several holding became too big over the past ten years. My days of risk taking are long over, used to trade dow and ukx

I still have an active real time charting screen, with level two

no funds, only shares that I can buy and sell quickly. Try selling funds in a hurry!!
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    Try selling funds in a hurry!!
    What funds do you have in mind? With large cap ETFs like S&P500 or world trackers there seems to be no problem at all as far as I know. I have heard of traders buying and selling several times a day, because spreads are very low and there is no stamp duty. I guess if it got extremely busy it would be delayed. But I can't see why that would be less likely to happen with individual shares.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    What funds do you have in mind? With large cap ETFs like S&P500 or world trackers there seems to be no problem at all as far as I know. I have heard of traders buying and selling several times a day, because spreads are very low and there is no stamp duty. I guess if it got extremely busy it would be delayed. But I can't see why that would be less likely to happen with individual shares.

Last year I moved from funds to ETF's, not only for the reduced fees, but also because it enables me to sell at anytime and also put in 'limit orders' to sell or buy at a particular price.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".

Are you also responsible for putting a certain word in S!!!!horpe?

(LOL it wouldn't even let me type in the town name properly; lol lol lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport