Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Options

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3 things I have learned today
    1. Dogs in Slovenia pose for the camera. I saw this twice, dogs jumping onto rocks and looking at their owners while they took photos.
    2. Semi-frozen haribo is really tough to chew enough to eat without choking. It was a little colder in my bag than I had realised.
    3. If a walk says it is 5 miles around the lake double check it. Good job I didn't mind going for a long walk, 8.5 miles later!
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £500/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    You are brave with the solo travel - London is about as exotic as I've tried by myself!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Happy new year everyone.

Start as I mean to go on, £500 op made to the mortgage. I have no idea how long this will carry on with house sale etc but will continue while we can to benefit is when the house is sold. Once today's standard payment and OP have cleared we should be very close to the total mortgage being under £100k. It is strange that this is something I had been striving for, it is more important than ever as this is the figure we have been basing our deposits on fof new houses as we hope to get around £240k for the house, any more below this figure the better for us.

I had planned to transfer all extra money to my ISA and only leave in my current account the money for bills and a daily spending amount, it is quite tough to do on my phone though. Seeing as I am using my prepaid card out here I might do that once I get home on Sunday.

Today I am either walking to a waterfall that has a nice cafe nearby or the local ski slope, with minimal snow, to people watch.
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Options
    Great start to the year. Just about beats my 42p TT...
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Yesterday was such a great start to the new year, especially as on paper it should have been a very low one. I walked to the ski area and as we went up in the cable car above the clouds the views and sun were breathtakingly. I wandered around on the snow for a while watching people of all ages skiing before enjoying a hot chocolate. It was definitely very good for the soul, once I got too cold I came back to the hotel and went for a swim. I have found 2 couples to talk with at dinner which has helped a lot.

Money wise I am hitting 2019 hard. My regular saver matured yesterday and was transferred to a new account today. Already this morning I have closed that account and moved the money to my ISA, opened a new reg saver account, transferred this month's payment in and set up a regular payment for the rest of the year.

At this rate I may run out of things to do but may have to start rounding accounts and sending the pennies to my savings. I intend to start a coin jar for spare change when I get home.

Look out 2019, I'm coming to get you :D
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Tilly tidy of £6.11 sent to my ISA, no other money things can really be done today but hey, it all helps :D

I wish my bank would be quicker with my mortgage payments showing in my accounts, I know the total mortgage is close to £100k but unsure if it will stay here for the whole of the month when the interest is added.

I am having a bit of an easier day today, I ended up walking 13 miles yesterday so my feet deserve a shorter day!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    The mortgages have finally updated, we won't dip below 100k until next month, by the time the interest has been added at the end of the month we will be about £200 away. I have hit my MFiT target for the 2nd time in the challenge. I am trying to decide what I will aim for in the next 3 years but without a crystal ball it is tough. Hopefully when I buy I will only need a 100k mortgage (depending on the purchase price) so I guess I can come up with a rough plan based on now and update it once I go it alone and know what spare money I have.

I remembered this morning that one of my payments has a 2 month break now so I have rounded it up and paid £10 into my ISA. Not sure any money will go out today or tomorrow so not sure how I will round or tidy anything tomorrow. I am so inspired at the moment, this is going to be my year!
  • ajmoney
    edited 7 January 2019 at 9:30AM
    Options
    £116.51 was left in my account at the end of last month so I have rounded it up and transferred £120 to my ISA. The bank are going to wonder who has taken over my account :rotfl: I should have about £10 a day for spends which I don't normally need. Hopefully I haven't forgotten about a payment somewhere.

Went for the final walk of my holiday although I am hoping to fit a short one in tomorrow before going to the airport. I have walked over 50 miles in 6 days :eek:
  • ajmoney
    Options
    TT of £3.67 into my ISA this morning, I am only daring to round down to the nearest 10 at the moment.

Home again now and after hating the first part of my holiday I wish I was back there, I loved the freedom of walkng where and when I wanted. I am not back in work officially until Thursday ( although will be doing a little tomorrow with my emails to keep the work load down when I get back) so am going to head out for a walk out as a warm up and a short run back. I lost 2 pounds with all my walking last week and saw a real difference in how relaxed I was so I am making a real effort to keep it up just maybe not so far in distance.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    £4.03 TT to my ISA, what a way to start the day! About a week until all outgoings have left my account, it might not be so easy to tidy up the numbers then.

Off to be sociable with my old work colleagues tonight, I am looking forward to their company. I am trying to make the most of my last 2 days off before work starts again on Thursday. I love my job but this is the first time I have had off when I haven't though about it at all and my brain has been so much better for it. I need to get better at leaving work at work!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure