Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Project Mortgage Neutral Begins - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
1.4K replies 103.2K views

Replies

• ajmoneyajmoney Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    16 days away from my thread...it has been a little hit and miss with making time for myself every day but generally it has been ok. Stress levels rose slightly last week when I realised how busy the summer months are going to be at work and wondering how to organise and plan everything so need to be mindful of this and refocus the me-time.

House insurance is up for renewal in just under a month, for the third year in a row our renewal quote is cheaper :money: but they have quoted two prices so I have sent an email to clarify, either way we will be staying with them. Next on my list is the gas and electricity as our current deal ends at the end of February.

Very undecided on a large OP to the mortgage due to our circumstances but maintaining a minimum OP of £500 a month (more in council tax free months and when we find a little) but the rest I have free I am putting into my savings until I am more aware of what lies ahead.
    2020 MFW No. 70 £9717.62/£10000
    MFiT-T5 No. 70 £17932.64/£27506.08
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have treated myself to a f!tbit today and after weighing myself to set it up it seems I need it! I am struggling to start doing exercise at the moment, once I am doing it I enjoy it so this should hopefully help me. I am also hoping it will help me get my sleep pattern back on track. Just waiting for it to update...it is taking a while.
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mortgage news, seeing as this is meant to be a diary about that...today is our mortgage birthday and without any OPs we would be mortgage free 12 years today, I am intending on that being in 3 years and 5 months (July 2021) instead. As it stands at the moment I don't plan to make a large OP to clear the big mortgage yet, we remortgage in August so I am going to wait until nearer the time and see how the different LTV ratios will work with a new deal. I have an OP schedule which I am sticking to and am saving as much of the rest of my money as possible.

Our home insurance has been renewed today and the extra that I had saved has been OP'd.
  • A_Frayed_KnotA_Frayed_Knot Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy mortgage birthday !!!

Our mortgage birthdays are very close to each others the 29th Feb for me :rotfl:and had I not made any o/p's should have been finishing the mortgage 12 years from the end of the month :) and as we all know - that's not going to happen :D Target 23 months :j for me.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy mortgage birthday !!!

Our mortgage birthdays are very close to each others the 29th Feb for me :rotfl:and had I not made any o/p's should have been finishing the mortgage 12 years from the end of the month :) and as we all know - that's not going to happen :D Target 23 months :j for me.
    How much do you have left to pay off? It might help spur me on to work at a quicker rate :D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ajmoney wrote: »
    How much do you have left to pay off? It might help spur me on to work at a quicker rate :D

By end of March, probably April I will be down to 4 figures by a £1 :D but at the lower end of the salary scale :( which is why I [email protected], etc, etc.

I am sure you can bring that target of yours forward, crunch the numbers and see what you have to o/p/save each month to cut your target by . . . say Dec 2020 . . . sounds a nice date to me ;)

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nearly a month since I last posted, I'm not even sure what my excuse is!

This week has been interesting, addressing and trying to decide where I would prefer to work from the summer. I had a meeting with one of my superiors on Wednesday to discuss the possibilities as it is really between 2 locations. Until Thursday my gut instinct had been to continue to work away from home as the work is more enjoyable, however I have started having a change of heart. I will be requesting I work near home again (it will have been 4 years since I have had the opportunity to live at home) but I will need to make a big effort to do soemthing with my life away from work which I find quite tough. I have many things, mainly exercise based, that I would like to pursue but would be looking to find groups to do these or I am at risk of feeling quite lonely and alone.

I have made a few lists (I love lists) so I can get some of the things done around the house that annoy me so it is as smooth a transition as possible when I move back home. We have a lovely home but don't really give it any love or attention so I am trying to address this, which may lead to me being a little more DIY minded.

This will all be timed with remortgaging our house in August so I have a few plans to decide on with this as well as do my own financial review as we will have to adjust to a slightly different approach to our household finances.
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This may seem like a bizarre question, but what do you all do when you are having a stay-at-home day? I am not very good at sitting around doing nothing and so get very irritable and stressed out. I guess I need to find a pasttime...
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like yourself - don't sit about much, always loads to do, so I just get on with it. I do remember once :o when everything was complete and finished (that's when I had a 1 bed flat) no housework, cooking, cleaning, ironing etc etc to be done, and I sat down, turned the telly on - and there was a friendly match on for curling.

Now I don't go out of my way to follow or watch this, but I had a fantastic afternoon - really enjoyed it and still speak of it as one of my favourite relaxing afternoons.

Don't have much time for that now.

Sounds good you working from home - that way you can get into a routine of it actually being your home and not just a place to stay when your not working. Good Luck.

Think I'll miss my target getting mortgage down to 5 figures by end of March, just back from mini break abroad and booked another for this Friday:o abroad.
  • EatingTheElephantEatingTheElephant Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    There is always a never ending stream of tasks here, but if at home I find it relaxing to read a book.