Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Options

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 July 2020 at 5:24PM
    Options
    First quote in from the heating company that visited 2 days ago, £1250 to supply and fit 7 radiators (1 brand new location), a replace a towel warmer, remove my gas fire and service the boiler.  I am more than happy with this and it is a lot less than I thought it might be.  Impatiently waiting for the company that came out months ago to come back with their quote, the owner said he would try to get it to me soon but the guy who did the visit is still on furlough.  I feel I owe them the chance to quote but am keen to finally get moving with this.  This price still leaves me £2400 from the proceeds of the sale of the last house for anything else needing to be done before I start decorating.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are you happy with the existing pipe work? When we had a new boiler for my Mother's house we found the improved pressure exposed quite a few weaknesses in pipe joints. Fortunately it was done in summer so the loss of heating was not a huge problem but we found one or two micro-bore pipes
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • ajmoney
    Options
    @Suffolk_lass I have no idea what they are like to know but if anything needs replacing when the work is started as least I know I have the money to pay for it.
    I haven't got a clue what to do today, this seems to be a regular Saturday morning thing.  I have started an every other day NSD and today is one of them so I won't be going near the shops.  The weather is meant to be ok today and tomorrow so I will spend most of the time outside.  There are areas of the garden that need digging over and if the grass is dry enough it needs cutting, a very labour heavy day possibly.

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just picked a tray of chillies (the square size you get strawberries or raspberries in from the SM) - loads of them. I popped one in my mouth and took a bite - I really like hot things. Too hot for me! I've put them in the freezer and come in for a dish of greek-style yogurt. I kept hiccoughing! OK now. Need to go out and carry on with the never-ending weeding!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • ajmoney
    Options
    My "haven't got a clue what to do today" didn't get any better really but I think it turned into a day that everyone else has.  Before lunch I had a wander around my garden trying to decide what to do then headed inside for a bit of studying.  After lunch still undecided I baked some flapjacks, I appear to have nothing in my house to snack on and decided food was more important than anything else.  Just finished catching up on masterchef from this week and have been inspired to try some different dishes this week.  Off to marinade my pork steaks for dinner and have a wander around the estate so I actually leave the house tonight then cook dinner and meal plan for next week.  I might be on leave from next Friday but I am fairly busy before that so need to be a bit organised.  Maybe I can motivate myself to do something tomorrow instead.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like the cooking and gardening is going well. I would love flapjacks
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Bike ride done first thing so I couldn't put it off, 6 miles so hopefully I can gradually build on this.  2nd load of washing in, finished 2nd section of online courseand lunch eaten.  I didn't meal plan yesterday so trying to do that now before I tackle the supermarket.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I have just sent an email to the swim holiday company to let them that I will need to cancel my trip so I am waiting to hear what I need to do.  I think that will be the easy part as I now need to get in touch with the airline to see if I can get any kind of money back on this although I may approach my travel insurance about this first to see if they can help.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Aaaargh not easy. It looks like the flight company's policy is to issue a voucher, I have tried calling them to discuss but they are too busy to take calls.  According to my travel insurance I have to accept whatever they offer (even if it doesn't work for me) as it will invalidate my policy if I decline, I will then need to process a claim to try and get the money back through the credit card company.  I thanked the guy on the online chat for his time and said I understood that they are busy at the moment but that I deliberately had insurance with someone who help armed forces personnel, hopefully they will prove to be helpful when they are needed.  Luckily I have time on my side for the flight money whereas the holiday balance needs to be paid at the end of the week so I need to try and sort that.  Worst case scenario I lose my deposit (£180), next case is I lose 65% of my deposit, best position is I get all the money back.
    I guess the easiest thing would be to get the voucher through the online cancellation bit of the flight company and then see where I get rather than trying to ring and get cash which they probably won't give anyway.

• ajmoney
    Options
    My mum and dad are coming to visit this weekend, I have been so used to passing the time by myself that it seems weird that people will be staying in my house. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure