P2P: Saving Stream (AKA SavingStream)

Options

Comments

• JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Indeed, it's just that the trend appears to show the value of loans soft defaulting and passing through three months of SBL on their way to IA are set to increase significantly over the next few months so unless the pipeline is kept well stoked things could start to unravel quite quickly there.

Especially with any protracted recovery and legal costs on what look to me like massively inflated valuations in quite a few cases.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »

Assuming they are taking 0.5% a month in the currently serviced loans then taht would be enough to subsidise the default interest currently.

Business has operating costs. What do the Directors draw as remuneration?
  • JohnRo
    edited 16 March 2017 at 8:29PM
    Options
    I just looked at the sheet again, within the next 99 days there are £45,855,098 worth of loans, on assets valued at £89,980,000, that could potentially enter SBL.

That's getting on for half a million quid a month. It would also, as things currently stand reduce the interest paying loans on the book by approximately one third.

I've whittle my exposure down to just over three grand from eight grand with them over this month so far and have decided to try and get out completely before the new tax year starts.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,343 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    By my reckoning SBL interest (at 1% a month) is costing Lendy just under a quarter of a million quid a month as it stands currently. Alarm bells are ringing.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if this practice stopped when it comes under the scrutiny of the FCA. P2P firms are already banned from using their own capital to invest in loans. It would seem a natural extension to prohibit them from using their own capital to service loan interest. Perhaps the provision fund will be used to cover interest in the future, in which case there will be less protection for recovery shortfalls.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,343 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just looked at the sheet again, within the next 99 days there are £45,855,098 worth of loans, on assets valued at $89,980,000, that could potentially enter SBL.
    I like the creative use of currency symbols. If those are SS dollars, I wonder what the assets are really worth ;)
  • JohnRo
    Options
    oh flippin eck
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just looked at the sheet again, within the next 99 days there are £45,855,098 worth of loans, on assets valued at £89,980,000, that could potentially enter SBL.

That's getting on for half a million quid a month. It would also, as things currently stand reduce the interest paying loans on the book by approximately one third.

I've whittle my exposure down to just over three grand from eight grand with them over this month so far and have decided to try and get out completely before the new tax year starts.

I had a few thousand in until a couple of weeks ago, things seemed to be heading downhill so I've cashed out.

A read in the p2p forum shows how many people are selling out well ahead of redemption, it has the air of a scheme with the bottom layer presumably made up of more naive people chasing returns without being too concerned about the risk of capital loss.

By the above I don't opign any sort of illegality or fraud, simply that it appears to be unsustainable in the medium term.
  • JohnRo
    Options
    If they can keep new pipeline loans rolling in I dare say they'll weather the storm but the new loans would need to be a heck of a lot less default prone than the current crop seem to be.
  • Turtle
    Turtle Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just put all mine up for sale (not much by most standards but I still wouldn't want to lose it), been nervous for a few days. Most of it has gone already and I'll put a withdrawal request in before I go to bed. Hopefully only be a few hundred quid left by then.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am interested to know where you are moving your money to from SS?
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport