Argos return of carpet washer

Options
Hi

Yesterday I took back to Argos with receipt a dirt devil carpet cleaner which I purchased on 10/10/15.

The fault was the roller brush motor had burnt out even though I have only used it 4 times.

So into Argos can't replace it needs to be fixed told me to contact vax! I refused told them that due to a house move I needed the cleaner now to clean my carpets ready for sale and when I move in, and that if a engineer was to come out and repair I wouldn't be able to arrange a address because I could be moved next week!

They said it could not be swapped and phoned vax for me who have said email proof of receipt and they will replace.. So I guess I'm getting a new one my concern is the following.

I purchased the cleaner from Argos as so my contract is with Argos when said new cleaner comes my receipt doesn't change because Argos have essentially washed there hands of me I want a returned receipt so to prove I have had issues and that the cleaner wasn't purchased on the 10/10/15 making it harder in the future if cleaner fails again?

What are my rights here? I thought Argos had to repair the item ie I return it they get it repaired then I collect? Dunno

Any help

Comments

• patters78
    patters78 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also sorry but I thought my rights are as followed..

Argos can say they will repair but only once then I'm entitled to a exchange or part refund etc?

But how is this possible when I have no proof it has been returned?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    patters78 wrote: »
    I purchased the cleaner from Argos as so my contract is with Argos when said new cleaner comes my receipt doesn't change because Argos have essentially washed there hands of me I want a returned receipt so to prove I have had issues and that the cleaner wasn't purchased on the 10/10/15 making it harder in the future if cleaner fails again?
    If/when you get a new cleaner, you don't need a new receipt as any consumer rights that you have are from the date of the original purchase.
    Getting a new cleaner for free doesn't restart the clock as far as rights are concerned.

Argos haven't "washed their hands" as they contacted VAX and you are now getting a replacement.
    Argos/VAX would have been totally within their rights to insist on repairing the faulty unit and if they wanted to, they could also have insisted that you obtained proof that the fault was caused by a manufacturing defect and not through misuse.
  • patters78
    Options
    Right ok so back to my question.

New cleaner arrives and with a few uses breaks I now go back to Argos and state that I have already had it replaced by vax I want a refund.. But have no proof that the item has been replaced?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Right ok so back to my question.

New cleaner arrives and with a few uses breaks I now go back to Argos and state that I have already had it replaced by vax I want a refund.. But have no proof that the item has been replaced?
    In which case, all you do is show your original receipt and explain what has happened.
    As already explained, a new receipt for the replaced VAX wouldn't be of any use as your legal rights start from the original purchase.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have no automatic right to a refund - the choice of remedy is up to Argos. As already stated your rights lie with the original purchase date so they can ask you to obtain a report which indicates that the machine has failed due to an inherent manufacturing defect.
  • patters78
    Options
    Right so what's stopping me going into Argos now saying I've had it replaced before I want a refund?

Surely Argos has to acknowledge that a item has been repaired or replaced? Or do the repair/replacement themselves?

I know what's going to happen if it breaks they will try and repair/replace again and I have zero argument to state they can't do so apart from a email to vax which isn't Argos?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Right so what's stopping me going into Argos now saying I've had it replaced before I want a refund?
    That would basically be a fraudulent action on your part. Not recommended.

Your questions are worded in a manner which suggests you simply want a refund.

Why would the brand new replacement you are being sent also fail? Even if it were to fail, Argos still wouldn't be obliged to offer a refund and I think they'd demand you provide an independent report showing that any such "fault" was inherent at the time of purchase.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Surely Argos has to acknowledge that a item has been repaired or replaced? Or do the repair/replacement themselves?

I know what's going to happen if it breaks they will try and repair/replace again and I have zero argument to state they can't do so apart from a email to vax which isn't Argos?

You have zero right to insist that they refund you - the choice of remedy is at the seller's discretion.
  • patters78
    Options
    That would basically be a fraudulent action on your part. Not recommended.

Your questions are worded in a manner which suggests you simply want a refund.

Why would the brand new replacement you are being sent also fail? Even if it were to fail, Argos still wouldn't be obliged to offer a refund and I think they'd demand you provide an independent report showing that any such "fault" was inherent at the time of purchase.

Id be happy with a replacement but don't think the brand is very good at all? And have lost faith in it

I could say the same thing back why would something break after only 4 uses it's a carpet cleaner I have 3 carpets in my house how much use is acceptable in your eyes for it to be a good product, if that's coming across that I want a refund then so be it I just want a working cleaner ideally now as I paid for..

How about answering the question rather than judging me based on what is just a internet argument?

I came here for help not to be god damn judged for stating what could be possible given the situation!:mad:

Bye
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 July 2016 at 12:48PM
    Options
    How about answering the question rather than judging me based on what is just a internet argument?
    The question was already answered at post #3 of your thread. The fact that you have responded as you have just confirms my suspicion that you just want a refund.

Argos are not obliged to offer a refund.
    don't think the brand is very good at all? And have lost faith in it
    So that's something you can perhaps bear in mind when you purchase a carpet cleaner in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure