Suggested new section for MSE - Family breakdown.

Options
I love MSE and have used it for years for advice or to check out what deals are around. I've also been fairly good with money (unlike my ex!)

The worse financial crisis I have ever faced though was the breakdown of my marriage and becoming a single parent.

Negotiating my way through separating finances and how to do it has been a nightmare. I'm still to finalise my divorce and I will struggle to put the mortgage in my own name. (I can easily afford it, its proof of income / affordability I will struggle with)

After 20 years of being in my relationship (13 if those as a married couple) and with children our finances are intertwined with a property and debts and liabilities. Thankfully though we also had our own individual accounts.

I find it a but surprising then that although there is a huge range of advice on the various sections on MSE, broken down into logical areas of advice, there is nothing on the breakdown of a relationship. Much of the normal advice is helpful but doesn't necessarily specifically apply in my situation (eg remortgaging - helpful but not relevant for half an income or how to change a name, getting a guarantor for the mortgage not usual for someone my age - normally a first time buyer / young person.)

Much of it has been really overwhelming - for example the internet, phone and sky was in my ex's name so when I wanted to talk to them about issues they wouldn't speak to me - I had to cancel the contracts and start again in my own name.

I'm nearly there now and I will probably have to get professional financial advice for the mortgage but a section full of advice from MSE woud be really helpful for anyone going through this in the future. In hindsight maybe I would have had my finances set up differently with my husband but it had worked for 20 years - I would never have thought I would have had a problem with some of the things I had a problem with!

For those not as lucky as me they may be facing far worse financial situation - even homelessness - an advice section would be great

Is this something that the MSE site could consider incorporating please?
Mortgage Free Wannabee

December 2019 £63,712
December 2021 £42,433
August 2022 £34,747

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts