I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would pay it off the bc.

I think passports for 5 of you will be astronomical. How would you even get the money together for flights? Is it close family? Maybe you should start up a separate savings pot for paying for passports and flights but in your situation I am not sure I would give that preference at the moment for something which may not happen.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm no expert, but personally I think getting the minimum payments lower on the barclaycards to reduce your monthly shortfall may be the way to go. Unless you can clear something else and snowballing the payments from that will cover the shortfall.

Someone else may have a much better answer than me.

While you are job hunting, could dh do any overtime at work to cover the shortfall?
    I would pay it off the bc.

I think passports for 5 of you will be astronomical. How would you even get the money together for flights? Is it close family? Maybe you should start up a separate savings pot for paying for passports and flights but in your situation I am not sure I would give that preference at the moment for something which may not happen.

Thanks for your replies. I will carry on paying towards the bc.

Regarding the passports , we need three as me and dd have a valid one. I agree it’s not our priority and maybe I can use my coin pot towards this. My aunts, uncles, cousins live abroad and an aunt that is like a nan to me. I agree about flights , they would cost a fortune. I think I’ll allocate my coin pot for passports and potential flights. I don’t have a lot in there as I emptied it out about a month ago but at least I know what it’s for.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Ok so it is not ideal but it is your family so if the worst happens you have a passport and could save up enough for a flight for you and DH could stay at home with the DC.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I have found three jobs that I’m going to apply for. They will not make me a lot of money whilst paying childcare but it will only be for a while longer and I’m hoping will boost my confidence being back in a working environment. All I can do is try!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Good luck with the applications. Just remember your parenting experience is just as valid as work experience. Not many 'real' jobs give experience of high level tactical negotiations do they?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Good luck with the applications. Just remember your parenting experience is just as valid as work experience. Not many 'real' jobs give experience of high level tactical negotiations do they?

Very true. I also find a lot of jobs don’t take my self employed business into account. I’ve applied for four jobs so fingers crossed.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Very true. I also find a lot of jobs don’t take my self employed business into account. I’ve applied for four jobs so fingers crossed.

Some 'out of the box' thinking for the personal statement then? What sort of jobs are they?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Some 'out of the box' thinking for the personal statement then? What sort of jobs are they?

I’ve been trying to apply for admin roles primarily but I don’t think I stand a chance as I don’t know all the big words etc!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I went to bed early last night with a funny tummy and am feeling a bit sensitive today. I’m planning on taking it fairly easy as I don’t feel I ever give myself a proper day off. I’m hoping for my 3rd nsd of the year. I need to update my signature at some point to reflect recent payments made.

Have a lovely frugal day everyone.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Enjoy your day off and look forward to updated signature.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback